Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie requires no additional boxes for other rooms now?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,088 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

I just saw an ad, it says "you don't have to look at a box in every room". Considering the options for a client, certainly is true.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

Don't forget how erectile dysfunction commercials can allow you to go sailing, have you and your spouse sit in separate bathtubs in beautiful meadows, etc. ;)

At least they are upfront with a disclaimer that advises you to to call a doctor, if their pills works so well that it last for hours! ;)
HR34-700, HR22-100

#43 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,088 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

I looked that up once, and what can happen... :eek2:

#44 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

There's a difference between long and existing customers that knows all to well about these commercials and read the fine print first, And new or potential customers who believed what the commercial was saying, only to find out later after they sign up that other stuff were required. That in itself in deceptive.

In some states, the customer does have a timeframe to cancel before they get charged the ecf. I can understand your point of view however.

Edited by Volatility, 28 March 2013 - 11:06 PM.

#45 OFFLINE   deanandmaria

deanandmaria

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

IMO, AT&T U-Verse started this, DTV is just jumping on the train.

AT&T's campaign about their wireless receivers is even worse. It eliminates the wire from the wall to the cable box. There's still the power cords (2) and the cable from the box to the TV. What's worse is that they market the thing like you can take it out in the middle of your back yard if you want.

Thankfully the swimming pool one seems to be off the air. Yeah people . . . let's encourage kids to take a powered television poolside.

#46 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

That was my first thought when I saw the ad. AFAIK though, DirecTV doesn't have anything right now that actually competes with the U-Verse wireless receiver.

Ads that imply that you can move the TV out to the middle of the yard are silly (you still need power to the devices) but there is a real market for moving televisions around. Our third TV gets so little use that I've often considered discontinuing it. It would be much more useful to be able to move it around as needed -- out on the patio, down to the shop, etc.

#47 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

Don't forget how erectile dysfunction commercials can allow you to go sailing, have you and your spouse sit in separate bathtubs in beautiful meadows, etc. ;)

And Pepsi ads show people drinking Pepsi and behaving as if they were high as a kite.

Rich

#48 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

AT&T's campaign about their wireless receivers is even worse. It eliminates the wire from the wall to the cable box. There's still the power cords (2) and the cable from the box to the TV. What's worse is that they market the thing like you can take it out in the middle of your back yard if you want.

Thankfully the swimming pool one seems to be off the air. Yeah people . . . let's encourage kids to take a powered television poolside.

Actually, if the swimming pool meets code, you could dump a plugged in TV into a swimming pool and all you'd do is wreck the TV. Don't believe me? My wife didn't until I threw a plugged in extension cord into our pool and...nothing happened except the GFI tripped, as I told her it would.

Rich

#49 OFFLINE   Kaiser Bob

Kaiser Bob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

I think they may be pushing the fact that a C31 client is small enough that it can be mounted behind a wall mounted TV. Their recent installer training goes over a number of mounting options.

+1

When they worded it stop looking at boxes and cables I figured they meant the C31 mounted behind the tv in RF mode.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#50 OFFLINE   deanandmaria

deanandmaria

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:56 AM

Actually, if the swimming pool meets code, you could dump a plugged in TV into a swimming pool and all you'd do is wreck the TV. Don't believe me? My wife didn't until I threw a plugged in extension cord into our pool and...nothing happened except the GFI tripped, as I told her it would.

Want to bet how many homes out there meet the required codes? Would you have tried it with your wife IN the pool? Don't answer that! I might question your intentions.

#51 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

Want to bet how many homes out there meet the required codes? Would you have tried it with your wife IN the pool? Don't answer that! I might question your intentions.

As a matter of fact, I was in my electrical apprenticeship when a near naked man greeted our class in an electrical lab that we used for hands on learning. We were told to sit down and stay in our seats. The man (wearing only shorts) proceeded to wrap bare wire around his upper body and got into a large tub filled with water and told the instructor to "Plug me in!)...

Let me back up here. The person in shorts was going around the country with his tub and introducing the GFCI (note the difference in the acronym from the now accepted GFI) a new device that...well, let's get back to the story...

So, the instructor first points to the LED on the receptacle and tell us to note the LED is on and the receptacle is energized. Then he plugs in the plug on the bare wire and...nada. We do hear a click and the light on the receptacle goes off, but the guy in the tub is unharmed! Then, he climbs out of the tub and takes the wire off his body. He spent the rest of the session explaining how the GFCI works.

I'm not gonna try to explain how it works, but I will tell you what you'd see if an oscilloscope was used: First, imagine an ordinary single phase 120VAC sine wave. The straight line is 0 volts, the line that shows the voltage is rising and falling between (doing this on memory alone, correct me if I'm wrong) 167VAC measured from the top of the positive sine to the bottom of the negative sine. (I was wrong when I first posted and VOS caught it, bless his heart) Got that? Now imagine that the voltage induced just starts to ascend and is shut off very close to the straight line that signifies 0 volts. That's what happens when a GFI trips. Practically no voltage before shutting down and that's the life saver. I don't know or remember exactly what voltage it trips at, but it's so quick nothing bad can possibly happen.

It's been ~ 40 years since that demonstration and I've never seen a GFI fail. So, yeah, I know what would happen if I threw my wife in the pool with the extension cord plugged into a GFI wrapped around her...nothing. Would I try it? No.

With no GFI, the person would die. He/she would be electrocuted. Another thing to remember, there is no second chance with electrocution. You die. I know state mandated electrocutions have failed, but that's because the electrocution process failed. If you actually get electrocuted there are no second choices.

One more thing about the GFIs: They should be used when a double-insulated tool is used. During the course of their evolution, someone discovered that not only do they interrupt the circuit if it is suddenly grounded, but they also measure leakage from hot to neutral wiring and trip immediately if something is amiss. We had a guy get a wicked shock when using a double-insulated drill and immediately rewrote our hot work procedures to include using a GFI when using double-insulated tools. This information is included in the paperwork you get when you buy most GFIs. Or was.

Rich

Edited by Rich, 02 April 2013 - 11:42 AM.
Mistake in voltages

#52 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,634 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

LG has a FiOS app for their newer Smart TVs

http://us.lgappstv.c...003&appId=13322

Seems to me DirecTV could do the same.

#53 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:12 AM

LG has a FiOS app for their newer Smart TVs

http://us.lgappstv.c...003&appId=13322

Seems to me DirecTV could do the same.

Be a little hard to do with Directv since FIOS is basically internet streaming in the 1st place. Two completely different animals as far as delivery systems go.

#54 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

Be a little hard to do with Directv since FIOS is basically internet streaming in the 1st place. Two completely different animals as far as delivery systems go.

I thought FIOS TV used the same system as cable TV (not IPTV) just that it was delivered over fiber. From http://en.wikipedia....ki/Verizon_FiOS

One of the three wavelength bands is devoted to carrying television channels using standard QAM cable television technology. The other two wavelengths are devoted to all other data, one for outbound and the other for inbound data. This includes video on demand, telephone and Internet data.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#55 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

It says "FiOS customers subscribing to FiOS TV and FiOS Internet can download our newest app to watch live streaming of select channels and view commercial movies through select LG devices."

To me that sounds kind of like DirecTV's TV anywhere, except its on an LG TV instead of an iPhone/iPad. I think theoretically DirecTV could do pretty much the same thing if they wanted. Take the DirecTV apps for the iPhone or iPad and make them work for different TVs, Blu-Ray players, or something like an AppleTV or Roku.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...