Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anybody getting the Samsung Galaxy IV?!

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Seems like my iPhone days maybe coming to an end...
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

No.

Not a fan of Samsung phones.

#3 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

I'm sticking with my Note2. The only thing attractive about the G4 is the IR blaster. That is one thing I have hoped phones would have long before now. The other thing I consider is that all of the new rom features will be available as an upgrade from Samsung, or a developer, to the Note2, the SG3 and a few other Samsung phones in the not so distant future. I already have S-Voice from the SG4 on my Note2.
But if anyone is going from a SG2 then the SG4 is a great leap, not so much from the SG3.

Yeah I'd be going from the iPhone 4S to the SG4. Seems to me the Droids have caught up to the IPhones.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#4 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

No.

Not a fan of Samsung phones.

Which do you have?!
Dan Sholtis

#5 OFFLINE   redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWest Warwick, RI

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

But if anyone is going from a SG2 then the SG4 is a great leap, not so much from the SG3.

If your S2 is on Sprint you can get Jelly Bean through Kies as of today. Maybe not so much of a leap.

#6 OFFLINE   Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth

Icon

• Administrators
  • 563 posts
  • LocationAlabaster, AL

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

I was a big Android fan for the last several years...until the iPhone 5 came out and I switched. Anyway, this isn't meant to be an IOS vs Android comment.

I had several Android phones, the Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S1), a Samsung Galaxy S2, a Motorola Atrix, a Motorola Atrix 2...and I think I had something else mixed in there too.

Anyway, in my experience, there's two sides to samsung phones. Performance not including phone calls, and then actually making phone calls. For the regular performance, Samsung phones just can't be beat. They have great screens, great processors and RAM, and they make them easy to root which allows the dev community to go wild with them. They were very fun to load up with different ROMS and play. On the other hand, other than the Captivate, my other Samsungs had horrible call quality...especially in environments when the noise cancellation was needed. That was what pushed me away eventually. I talk a lot while in noisy environments. The Mototola Atrix 2 was actually great in this regard, but was locked down to the point that there wasn't much fiddling around to be done with it.

I think Samsung makes great hardware, they just need to beef up the headset speaker and work on the radio (software).

That's just my experience anyway.

DBSTalk Site Administrator

U-Verse U450 w/Whole Home DVR

Cisco ISB7500 (upgraded to 1TB) >> 32" LG LCD
Cisco ISB7000 >> 60" LG Plasma
Cisco IPN330HD 46" Sharp Aquos LCD
Cisco ISB7005 (Wireless) >> 42" Philips LCD
2Wire/Pace 3801HGV Gateway

LIVESTRONG_logo_small.png - 2 Time Cancer Survivor

#7 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

If your S2 is on Sprint you can get Jelly Bean through Kies as of today. Maybe not so much of a leap.

Check out what the SG4 will be running. Besides that the SG4 is hands over fist better in screen, processor, well everything. I have a SG2, it is a great phone, very fast and still a top contender. Its dual processors run that phone almost as fast as my quad core phone. But after having my Note 2 for a few weeks the SG2 just seems too small. The SG4 is about a half inch smaller than the Note2. These aging eyes like the increased screen size.
I must add that all of my Android phones are rooted and are not running stock roms, my Nexus1, Inspire and the previously mentioned two phones.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#8 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

No.

The Sprint version will only support the old 1900 PCS frequencies (maybe also 800MHz voice). I'll wait until the phones come out that do 800MHz & 2600MHz data (later 2013 or maybe early 2014). Don't want to be tied in for 2 years with a crippled handset.

Until then will continue to rock my HTC Rezound on Verizon LTE. Works great but would like to go back to Sprint for lower cost.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#9 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,858 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

Sorry, my S3 is working out well. Why motivating factor makes me move to a S4?
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#10 OFFLINE   CATCRAW

CATCRAW

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

No - I love my S3, works great and excellent call quality. Don't think I want anything any larger then the S3.

#11 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

Which do you have?!

I have the HTC DNA.

I do not like the Samsung build quality, the AMOLED screens, poor reception (at least on VZW), or their launcher. I realize the latter can be solved by rooting and installing a different ROM, but I shouldn't have to not to hate a phone.

#12 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

There are many launchers in the Play store that can be put on non-rooted phones. I've never used the stock UI launcher that comes with the phone. I prefer Apex.

True enough. Never used an aftermarket launcher, so didn't even think about going that route. The manufacturer overlays are very personal. I really like Sense, but can't stand MotoBlur or TouchWhiz.

Either way, my past Samsung experiences have not been pleasant, so I'd shy away from them in the future.

#13 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

I've never like the stock maufacturer launchers. I preferred the plain old pure Android of my Nexus1. Oh well.
I do like the build of the HTC phones, having had 2. The new HTC One is gorgeous but a non-removable battery and no SD Card is a deal killer for me.

I agree about the SD card, but the battery in my DNA has not been an issue. I have to really try to kill the battery before I go to bed at night.

#14 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,448 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

My HTC Thunderbolt, which I bought in July of 2011, had a fall the other day that killed the microphone. Unfortunately, I don't have insurance on it so will either take advantage of my son having an available update (I'm on his family plan) or I'll have to find a headset that I can use with my existing phone until July. I have a Samsung Bluetooth headset that works only so-so. Problem is, I wear hearing aids so need something that is basically over the ear.
If I go for the update, it in all probability be a Samsung Galaxy S3.

Edit: After reading a lot of reviews, I decided to get a Motorola Droid Razr HD. Very nice phone. I got it this afternoon along with a Motorola Bluetooth headset and an Otterbox case. Let the learning process begin!

Edited by Cholly, 30 March 2013 - 05:44 PM.
Bought a Droid Razr HD

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#15 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:14 AM

No, I'll stick with my iPhone 5.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#16 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

I have hada lot of problems with my 4S and IO 6.X. Ad that to my frustration with not being able to swap the battery or use the device as I wish and you can see why I m considering an s IV when my contract runs out in May.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#17 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

I have hada lot of problems with my 4S and IO 6.X. Ad that to my frustration with not being able to swap the battery or use the device as I wish and you can see why I m considering an s IV when my contract runs out in May.

My thoughts exactly. I haven't had problems with my 4S or the IO 6.X but the battery swap (or lack thereof ticks me off). My contract is also up in May but I plan to pre order anyway on April 16.
Dan Sholtis

#18 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

I'm torn between the SGS4, the Note II and the HTC One. That's a great phone with a fantastic camera on it.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#19 OFFLINE   austen0316

austen0316

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts
  • LocationRobbinsville, NJ

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

I have the GSIII but most likely moving to the Z10....... any Z10 or Q10 fans here?

#20 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

No. It's too dang big. Samsung makes great phones but if they keep getting bigger, they will never get me as a customer. I like that I can use my smart phone with one hand.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...