Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anybody getting the Samsung Galaxy IV?!

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWest Warwick, RI

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

The S4 is actually roughly the same size as an S3. Yet Samsung still managed to make the screen bigger.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

This is something I'm wrestling with right now. I'm due an upgrade in the next month and have been looking at both the Galaxy and the new HTC One (which IMO looks to be a better phone).

It would be a no brainer, as I think Android is well ahead of iOS right now, other than the fact my family is locked into the Apple ecosystem (three iPads, a macbook pro, iMac, ipod and 2 iphones). Changing one of the iphones would present challenges keeping everything integrated.

Some considerations of the ecosystem are imessaging, facetime (would be OK on that one since I generally use my ipad), ease of getting music on all devices, ease of getting apps on all devices and maybe most important, photostream.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#23 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

This is something I'm wrestling with right now. I'm due an upgrade in the next month and have been looking at both the Galaxy and the new HTC One (which IMO looks to be a better phone).

It would be a no brainer, as I think Android is well ahead of iOS right now, other than the fact my family is locked into the Apple ecosystem (three iPads, a macbook pro, iMac, ipod and 2 iphones). Changing one of the iphones would present challenges keeping everything integrated.

Some considerations of the ecosystem are imessaging, facetime (would be OK on that one since I generally use my ipad), ease of getting music on all devices, ease of getting apps on all devices and maybe most important, photostream.

1 MacBook Pro, 1 MacBook Air, 1 iPad and an iMac. 2 iPhones here. Thought passwords would be a problem for me but I use 1Password which now is available for Android so I'd be set somewhat.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#24 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

Not a chance.
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#25 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,098 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

Ordered mine today and was told they would be shipping tomorrow, if all goes well I'll have the S4 by Friday.  :)

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#26 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

Yea, as soon as I sell my Unlocked Note 2 with 3 cases and 32gig SD card etc. ;)  Or maybe sooner.  I really love it but when I go out running every morning it constantly pulls down my shorts. I got a butt pack but it (the pack) isn't big enough.

What's this big deal about "1 hand use" anyway? Some folks are just jealous because ours are bigger than yours.  99% of what I do with it is one-handed.  The G-Note that is.

#27 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 764 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

I don't know if they can fight the headwinds of the S3 success but it sure sounds like the HTC One is the top Android phone on the market now...

HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#28 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

I don't know if they can fight the headwinds of the S3 success but it sure sounds like the HTC One is the top Android phone on the market now...

Based on this comment I found a good comparison review of these

two phones at http://www.gsmarena.com. They both clearly smoke

all the other Android phones right now. The Samsung barely won (there)

and my daughter loves her S3. Going for the S4 Verizon next month 

when they release.

#29 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

David Pogue in NY Times this week wasn't too thrilled with the S4.

He basically said don't bother.  As he summed it up, if you walk around the office with an S4, no one will notice its not an S3.

#30 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

He basically said don't bother.  As he summed it up, if you walk around the office with an S4, no one will notice its not an S3.

So it is all about being noticed and admired, form over function satisfying the look at me ego.

Edited by BubblePuppy, 27 April 2013 - 09:51 AM.

Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#31 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

Pogue's also a notorious Apple shill. 

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#32 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,098 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:02 AM

Just delivered. :)

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#33 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,568 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

Just delivered. :)

Nice. Use it in good health!

I'm a satisfied iPhone user, but I envy you the power of "Google Now" for Android. It just came out for iOS today as an update to "Google Search", but it's still missing some of the cool features of the Droid version.

/steve

#34 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

Ordered my T-Mo version today (all bands so it will work on any carrier inc. ATT LTE) and should have it tomorrow or Wed. No one can touch the T-Mo plans (especially the $30/prepaid plan). Now to sell my Note 2.

#35 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

Ordered my T-Mo version today (all bands so it will work on any carrier inc. ATT LTE) and should have it tomorrow or Wed. No one can touch the T-Mo plans (especially the $30/prepaid plan). Now to sell my Note 2.

Mine was delivered today, guess it's sitting on the porch until I get home.

Got the Sprint version, mainly to follow the progress of the LTE build-out in this area.

T-mobile isn't an option due to their very limited coverage around here.  There's a tower 3 miles away but still EDGE at my house, and I can through a rock into Oklahoma City.  And OKC city limits extend another 11 miles to the East with only 2G!  It's sad.

Until LTE is more widespread my main phone will still be my Verizon HTC Rezound.  Switched from Sprint a couple of years ago for better coverage/4G LTE data.  Planning on switching back to save money, maybe by the end of the year.   

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#36 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

Typing this now from my brand new Galaxy Note 2. Just amazing how much better this is than my Galaxy Nexus.

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#37 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 764 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

Not too unwieldy? I'm tempted to go that route as mine is hardly ever used as a phone anywho. How's the battery life? The Optimus G Pro looks like another nice Phablet option 

HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#38 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

Battery life is amazing. I'm ~6 hours in on this full charge and I'm at 76%. It's actually not overlarge. It's LARGE, but it's easily one handed.

#39 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

Sold my Note 2 so now I can do my jogging without my shorts being pulled down from it's weight. :)  I REALLY loved that phone it's just that it was too heavy (not too big) for my use.  Battery life was fantastic, actually noticeably better than my new S4 but the S4 is soooooooo much lighter to carry.

#40 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,187 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

I just can't get past the "plasticky" feel of the Samsung phones, and the manner in which one has to answer the phone. I HATE that!

I'll stick with my EVO LTE, which is rooted and rocks!

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...