Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No More Pirates

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hazard

hazard

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

Not that I watched a ton of this mostly horrible team anyway, but I just received the following e-mail:

Thank you for being a loyal DIRECTV® customer. We appreciate your business and would like to provide an important update regarding coverage of the Pittsburgh Pirates on ROOT SPORTS, part of your DIRECTV® SPORTS PACK subscription.

Effective April 1, 2013, Pittsburgh Pirates baseball games will not be available for DIRECTV customers in your ZIP code. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you MLB EXTRA INNINGSSM as an alternative - Pittsburgh Pirates games are blacked out within your ZIP code in that out of market sports package.

Please note all other programming on DIRECTV SPORTS PACK will continue to be provided by ROOT SPORTS Pittsburgh as part of your DIRECTV SPORTS PACK subscription. Only games of the Pittsburgh Pirates will be impacted within your zip code.

Thank you for being a loyal customer and for the continued opportunity to bring you the best overall television entertainment experience.

Sincerely,

DIRECTV

More and more stuff like this keeps happening. And most of the college sports shown are on every single channel anyway. It might be time soon to drop this package.

What I don't understand is the reason why they can't show the games. I'm blacked out from MLB.tv and MLB EI because for whatever idiotic reason, my zip code is considered "local market". So if that's the case, then I should be able to receive the channel (which is the way it has been since I joined DTV). But now, if they're saying (well they aren't really saying why) that I can't get the channel because I'm not local, then I should be able to watch on MLB.TV or MLB EI.

If the team was really worth watching, I would probably send something to MLB because I'm not local to this team. And the funny thing is if I enter another zip code just 40 miles south of me, it doesn't list them as being blacked out.

Anyway, someone might actually be a Pirate fan (and they were much improved last season and had several games worth watching) and might want to be aware of this change.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,283 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

And more proof that just because one company owns both directv the channel, things don't just happen.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,746 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

move down, to the place what is 40 miles away

#4 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,698 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

Effective April 1, 2013, Pittsburgh Pirates baseball games will not be available for DIRECTV customers in your ZIP code. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you MLB EXTRA INNINGSSM as an alternative - Pittsburgh Pirates games are blacked out within your ZIP code in that out of market sports package.

Wow, just wow. That doesn't make any sense at all. Its not your RSN anymore and you still can't watch the games even with EI. That doesn't make any sense at all. Whats point of having the package then? Someone needs to call the MLB office and report this.

And more proof that just because one company owns both directv the channel, things don't just happen.

And more proof that blackouts are absolutely ridiculous. :nono2:

#5 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,283 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:52 PM

Wow, just wow. That doesn't make any sense at all. Its not your RSN anymore and you still can't watch the games even with EI. That doesn't make any sense at all. Whats point of having the package then? Someone needs to call the MLB office and report this.

And more proof that blackouts are absolutely ridiculous. :nono2:

Yup.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#6 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

What is the official reason for this? What changed from last year?

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

I would venture a guess that he is in a certain radius of Pittsburgh that "grew" from last year. So 40 miles south of him is once again outside of the radius. Anyone look it up on the MLB site it should show the blackout areas for each team based on sellout status, etc...

#8 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

I would venture a guess that he is in a certain radius of Pittsburgh that "grew" from last year. So 40 miles south of him is once again outside of the radius. Anyone look it up on the MLB site it should show the blackout areas for each team based on sellout status, etc...

Blackouts in mlb have nothing to do with sellouts, its strictly claimed geography. The area he is in is claimed by the Pirates, but Root Sports Pittsburgh is not his home RSN, however with the Sports Pack he was able to see Pirates games there in the past. I am just not sure why Directv is not allowing it this year, is it some cost cutting measure somehow?

#9 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

MLB blackouts have nothing to do with miles. They have everything to do with a territory a team has been granted. Sometimes more than one team claims the territory you live in. This change is probably a result of Directv not paying for those in that area to receive the games anymore. Likely the cost went up and they didn't come to an agreement for that area. Kind of like what happened with STO the first year DTV got the station. Only some areas could get it because DTV didn't opt to allow the network in outer market areas. In other words this was probably contractual between Root Sports Pittsburgh (directv sports networks) and Directv.

Edited by mshaw2715, 29 March 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,698 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

But that email he got makes it sound like he can't get the games even WITH MLBEI, no?

#11 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

But that email he got makes it sound like he can't get the games even WITH MLBEI, no?

That's what is MOST ridiculous about this whole situation. He is technically in market for the Pirates, but since he is not in the normal Root Sports area Directv would apparently have to pay more for him to get the Pirates games (even though Directv owns the RSN), so he can't get it as an in market subscriber. Since he is, after all, technically in Pirates territory though, he can't get the games via Extra Innings either.

The only way for him to get Pirates games is to use illegal crappy streams, or get a vpn or proxy server and use MLB.tv.

So to sum up, you can watch Pirates games anywhere in the WORLD via tv or internet, EXCEPT in areas that are in the Pirates market, but not close enough to have Root Sports as its home RSN.

#12 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

the MLB rules / team zones are very out of date.

sports.yahoo.com/news/lawsuit-targeting-mlb-s-blackout-policy-allowed-to-proceed-015544096.html

The courts need to fix this.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#13 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

That's what is MOST ridiculous about this whole situation. He is technically in market for the Pirates, but since he is not in the normal Root Sports area Directv would apparently have to pay more for him to get the Pirates games (even though Directv owns the RSN), so he can't get it as an in market subscriber. Since he is, after all, technically in Pirates territory though, he can't get the games via Extra Innings either.

The only way for him to get Pirates games is to use illegal crappy streams, or get a vpn or proxy server and use MLB.tv.

So to sum up, you can watch Pirates games anywhere in the WORLD via tv or internet, EXCEPT in areas that are in the Pirates market, but not close enough to have Root Sports as its home RSN.

at least you should be able to get the games on wgn america that some how is blackout free / less of them.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#14 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

So DirecTv basically just told him that they are no longer able to provide him with Pittsburgh Pirate Games via Root Sports Pittsburgh but he also can't be offered MLB Extra Innings as well. WOW Just Wow is right. Why can't he be offered MLB Extra Innings If he was willing to pay for the package? This is the most messed up E-Mail from DirecTv I have EVER Read. It doesn't make any sense. They are denying him the opportunity to purchase MLB Extra Innings? That Is Insane. :confused:

#15 ONLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:46 AM

So DirecTv basically just told him that they are no longer able to provide him with Pittsburgh Pirate Games via Root Sports Pittsburgh but he also can't be offered MLB Extra Innings as well. WOW Just Wow is right. Why can't he be offered MLB Extra Innings If he was willing to pay for the package? This is the most messed up E-Mail from DirecTv I have EVER Read. It doesn't make any sense. They are denying him the opportunity to purchase MLB Extra Innings? That Is Insane. :confused:

Unless I'm not reading the email correctly, it doesn't say he can't purchase MLBEI, just that even if he does purchase it he still won't be able to view Pirates games.

It's a poorly composed email to be sure.

#16 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:06 AM

BigWilly087 summed it up very well...Basically the OP is in what I think of as a "gray area" where he is too far away from Pittsburgh to have Root Sports Pittsburgh be his local RSN, but still close enough to have the area be claimed by MLB. Hence no Pirates games on MLB EI for him.

Ridiculous to say the least.

#17 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:24 AM

BigWilly087 summed it up very well...Basically the OP is in what I think of as a "gray area" where he is too far away from Pittsburgh to have Root Sports Pittsburgh be his local RSN, but still close enough to have the area be claimed by MLB. Hence no Pirates games on MLB EI for him.

Ridiculous to say the least.

You go it. It happens in hockey too. It will happen more and more with RSN costs exploding. Providers are shrinking areas covered by RSN in packages.

As an aside, when I first got Directv in the mid 90's we had pirates games in Rochester NY with sports pack. It was part of their territory. It has since shrunk.

#18 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,283 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

Unless I'm not reading the email correctly, it doesn't say he can't purchase MLBEI, just that even if he does purchase it he still won't be able to view Pirates games.

It's a poorly composed email to be sure.

I think it was worded quite clearly. Says they cannot offer MLBEI as an alternative to the Pirates games not being on for him.

It is beyond stupid, however. The sports television structure is a mess. The teams, the leagues, the channels and the providers are all to blame.

Open it all up. Just make people pay for it.

They are all fools. The games being available actually ADD to the prestige, the fanbase and, eventually, the bottom line of the teams involved. Not only can they get money for their TV product, but they are the biggest informercials for their actual product around. People watch the games on TV are *more* likely to go to a game than those who can never see them.

#19 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,698 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

I think it was worded quite clearly. Says they cannot offer MLBEI as an alternative to the Pirates games not being on for him.

It is beyond stupid, however. The sports television structure is a mess. The teams, the leagues, the channels and the providers are all to blame.

Open it all up. Just make people pay for it.

They are all fools. The games being available actually ADD to the prestige, the fanbase and, eventually, the bottom line of the teams involved. Not only can they get money for their TV product, but they are the biggest informercials for their actual product around. People watch the games on TV are *more* likely to go to a game than those who can never see them.

+1 billion on all points, great post.

I woner if the cable company in that area, if there is one, is blacked out as well?

#20 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 656 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

I thought a couple of years ago Comish Sleig formed a panel to look into MLB's archaic blackout policy. As has been cited many times as an example of how bad it is, the Las Vegas, NV market is claimed by six teams, Dodgers, Angels, D-Backs. Padres, A's, & Giants. None of those teams' games can be viewed in LV on EI, even though there isn't any local carriage source for the A's, and Padres in Southern Nevada.
MLB is as financially healthy as its ever been, so it's really time to move into the 21st Century and update its policy.

spam firewall