Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No More Pirates

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

I think it was worded quite clearly. Says they cannot offer MLBEI as an alternative to the Pirates games not being on for him.

It is beyond stupid, however. The sports television structure is a mess. The teams, the leagues, the channels and the providers are all to blame.

Open it all up. Just make people pay for it.

They are all fools. The games being available actually ADD to the prestige, the fanbase and, eventually, the bottom line of the teams involved. Not only can they get money for their TV product, but they are the biggest informercials for their actual product around. People watch the games on TV are *more* likely to go to a game than those who can never see them.

My response was to contest this comment made by Msguy, "They are denying him the opportunity to purchase MLB Extra Innings?, DIRECTV is not denying him the opportunity to purchase MLBEI, just that if he does he still won't be able to view Pirates games.

I agree with everything else you've said here, the whole market area/blackout system needs a wholesale revamping, think of the poor folks who live in Las Vegas, they have about 6 teams that claim that area as "market territory".

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,819 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

Are you saying these teams claim LV but there is no way to watch the games at all, not even on the RSN's with sports pack?

#23 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

Are you saying these teams claim LV but there is no way to watch the games at all, not even on the RSN's with sports pack?

I believe that is the case yes, but it's been awhile since it I read and not being affected by it I have not retained the details.

From Wikipedia(not a perfect source, but I believe it's accurate),

Southern Nevada likewise lies within six MLB teams' blackout territories (Athletics, Giants, Angels, Dodgers, Padres, Diamondbacks).

Posted Image

Link to source page.

#24 OFFLINE   dxtrfn80

dxtrfn80

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

Another thing that annoys me that is if you are a Yankees fan living in DC you can get their games with Extra Innings but you cannot listen to their announcers when they play the Baltimore Orioles or Washington Nationals, you have to watch it on MASN with their announcers. It is stupid. Even with Extra Innings, out of market replays are blacked out. You get one chance to record the game then the 3 replays or so before the next game are blacked out. With Extra Innings (NBA League Pass, etc.) you should be entitled to all content from all teams for that year including live games, replays, team programming and classic games.

#25 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

Another thing that annoys me that is if you are a Yankees fan living in DC you can get their games with Extra Innings but you cannot listen to their announcers when they play the Baltimore Orioles or Washington Nationals, you have to watch it on MASN with their announcers. It is stupid. Even with Extra Innings, out of market replays are blacked out. You get one chance to record the game then the 3 replays or so before the next game are blacked out. With Extra Innings (NBA League Pass, etc.) you should be entitled to all content from all teams for that year including live games, replays, team programming and classic games.

Yes, that's the trouble I have with Dodgers/Giants games, and what makes it worse is that the Dodgers' Prime broadcast is head and shoulders better in quality than the crap we get from the Comcast RSN here in the SF bay area. Not to mention, with the Prime broadcast I get to hear Vin Scully :)

I will say that the Giants' broadcast team of Kuiper and Krukow are my favorites behind Scully, but the nasty looking video and ultra-compressed audio of CSNBA's games are just terrible.

#26 OFFLINE   jmpfaff

jmpfaff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

@hazard -- I'd contact the Pirates Customer Relations office and complain to them. It's in the best interest of the Pirates that you are able to see their games -- and they could (can't guarantee they will) work with DirecTV to either add your Zip to one of the allowed options.

#27 OFFLINE   dxtrfn80

dxtrfn80

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

(Yankee fan watching YES Feed of Yankees-Orioles on mobile device in Philadelphia ready to cross into Delaware)
Michael Kay-Here is a drive out to center, see (crosses into Delaware, feed goes out)
Fan-This feed is blacked out tune to MASN. OH CRAP! I thought Delaware was Phillies territory.
Fan 2-It is but it is also MASN territory which 70 percent can't see on cable in their region from Wilmington to Charlotte.
Fan-Turn the car around back to Philly so I can watch the YES Feed.

#28 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

(Yankee fan watching YES Feed of Yankees-Orioles on mobile device in Philadelphia ready to cross into Delaware)
Michael Kay-Here is a drive out to center, see (crosses into Delaware, feed goes out)
Fan-This feed is blacked out tune to MASN. OH CRAP! I thought Delaware was Phillies territory.
Fan 2-It is but it is also MASN territory which 70 percent can't see on cable in their region from Wilmington to Charlotte.
Fan-Turn the car around back to Philly so I can watch the YES Feed.

Is that seriously how the mobile app works? What a bunch of idiots. Someone should print this thread out and staple it to the forehead of every team owner in professional sports. The fact that the mobile app doesn't go off your billing/home address just shows they don't get it. It's like they sat down with the question "how can we most effectively frustrate our biggest fans?"

#29 OFFLINE   lionsfan

lionsfan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

Here in Vegas we do get rsn's from LA, Oak,sf. In our package. Not sure about San Diego as there rsn is new. Only on we do not get is Arizona, unless you get the sports pack.
HR24-Samsung 56"DLP-Living Room
HR44-Sony-A10-42"RPLCDHDTV-Den-
C41- Vizio-VX20L- LCDHD- Kitchen-
HR24- Vizio-22"- Bedroom
5LNB slimline dish-Replaced LNB with SWM-16
Directv since 1994

#30 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

Is that seriously how the mobile app works? What a bunch of idiots. Someone should print this thread out and staple it to the forehead of every team owner in professional sports. The fact that the mobile app doesn't go off your billing/home address just shows they don't get it. It's like they sat down with the question "how can we most effectively frustrate our biggest fans?"

Actually, it is logical for a blackout system. It is intended for games that are not local to where you are, not where you live. Addresses are nonsense.

But does it go black when you cross a line? I have never seen it check location except on start.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#31 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

It is in the interest of Major League Baseball to fix these problems. But for some reason, they seem hesitant to do so. Maybe there is resistance from some teams.

This extreme and ridiculous example of MLB's blackout policy is one that can get legislators acting. They hold hearings on steroids and other baseball issues.

An ideal MLB league-wide policy would basically be:

You get local games from local RSNs either through your RSN (as part of overall TV package) and/or through that RSN's feed if you choose to pay for MLB EI/MLB.TV.

This would seem to solve even the L.V. problem as you could at least pay for it.

#32 OFFLINE   Laker44

Laker44

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:39 AM

move down, to the place what is 40 miles away

If I still had DirecTV, I would have to move one mile to receive Pirate games. Where I live at now (zip code 45714), STO, Fox Cincinnati and Ohio would be my RSN's. But if I would move that one mile into (zip code 26101), ROOT Sports Pittsburgh and the other 3 would be my RSN's. What is more asinine is of the 3 cities, Pittsburgh is closer then Cleveland and Cincinnati from where I live.
DirecTV Jan 2008-Dec 2011. Went back to cable...could no longer take watching DirecTV's SD fuzzy vision

#33 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 980 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

I truly feel bad for the original poster.. I cannot comment, why I feel so bad or how we would have much in common, for the rest of the posters would lash out at me..
but it is a true shame and a sham.. plus, as a small market team, such as the Pirates or say the Twins, you would think that they would want as many viewers and possible TICKET BUYERS as possible.. evendentually, they have not learned from, other sports.. where more exposure gives you MORE TICKET SALES.. not less.. why would you or YOUR KID want to go to see a team that you have no investment in?

#34 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

It is in the interest of Major League Baseball to fix these problems. But for some reason, they seem hesitant to do so. Maybe there is resistance from some teams.

This extreme and ridiculous example of MLB's blackout policy is one that can get legislators acting. They hold hearings on steroids and other baseball issues.

An ideal MLB league-wide policy would basically be:

You get local games from local RSNs either through your RSN (as part of overall TV package) and/or through that RSN's feed if you choose to pay for MLB EI/MLB.TV.

This would seem to solve even the L.V. problem as you could at least pay for it.

what about local games?? at least 99% of the WGN 9 games are on WGN america. But the WGN sports games on WCIU are only shown on a few other OTA channels covering the teams area. The braves used to have that channel on directv that showed OTA games over the teams full area.

But you idea may hit a brick wall with the old cable rules saying that you can get limited basic and add any add on channel pack AKA HBO.
So I don't think RSN will like some getting limited basic and adding MLB EI and makeing a rule saying must get a basic pack that has local RSNs may not work in the courts.

But I think the mlb and nhl blackout lawsuit will at least put some issues in the lights of the courts and any thing can happen. Even RSN's going HBO like where they are add on channels like some used to be (back in the PAY UHF days and some when they first showed up on cable)

Going add on channel likely will lead to CSN NW, CSN Philly + TCN, CSN Houston and dodgers channel showing up on directv.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#35 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

Just ANOTHER reason to give up pay tv altogether........

#36 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 532 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

a) watch streams
B) use mlbtv and change your web address to overseas
c) get a canuck dish
d) join a sports torrent site.

and the pirates are on wgn the next 3 days until you decide what to do.

#37 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

a) watch streams
B) use mlbtv and change your web address to overseas
c) get a canuck dish
d) join a sports torrent site.

and the pirates are on wgn the next 3 days until you decide what to do.

Easiest thing to do would be to change your directv service address somewhere closer to Pittsburgh.

#38 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

Easiest thing to do would be to change your directv service address somewhere closer to Pittsburgh.

And totally against the terms of service. Dont recommend something that could land the subscriber in trouble if caught.

#39 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:43 AM

And totally against the terms of service. Dont recommend something that could land the subscriber in trouble if caught.

There is no way for this subscriber to get the Pirates without violating some terms of service, I was just offering an additional, easier, alternatvie to the ones posed by another poster. Not sure you could get in trouble for that anyways, its not like Directv cares, they just have to follow the rules based on the address you give them.

#40 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

There is no way for this subscriber to get the Pirates without violating some terms of service, I was just offering an additional, easier, alternatvie to the ones posed by another poster. Not sure you could get in trouble for that anyways, its not like Directv cares, they just have to follow the rules based on the address you give them.

I have always believed DTV is not stupid. They carry on a don't ask don't tell policy under the table. They legally cannot allow things to happen concerning false addresses for purposes of either sports territorial restrictions or to evade local tv stations. They know many subscribers do this and look the other way as long as the accounts are current. As long as they legally don't know, they are not legally responsible and cannot be held liable. That is all DTV is concerned about. Once again: DTV is NOT stupid, they know this happens under "the table"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...