Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No More Pirates

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#41 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,790 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

I truly feel bad for the original poster.. I cannot comment, why I feel so bad or how we would have much in common, for the rest of the posters would lash out at me..
but it is a true shame and a sham.. plus, as a small market team, such as the Pirates or say the Twins, you would think that they would want as many viewers and possible TICKET BUYERS as possible.. evendentually, they have not learned from, other sports.. where more exposure gives you MORE TICKET SALES.. not less.. why would you or YOUR KID want to go to see a team that you have no investment in?

Posters lash out at you? I'm shocked! :eek2: In actuality, it's more like them having a difference of opinion.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

Are you saying these teams claim LV but there is no way to watch the games at all, not even on the RSN's with sports pack?

I believe that is the case yes, but it's been awhile since it I read and not being affected by it I have not retained the details.

Iowa is in the same boat as Las Vegas. See my signature for the MLB teams I receive in the Xtra package and if I was a sports pack subscriber, I would additionaly have both the Twins and Brewers.

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#43 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

Iowa is in the same boat as Las Vegas. See my signature for the MLB teams I receive in the Xtra package and if I was a sports pack subscriber, I would additionaly have both the Twins and Brewers.

Ok, I'm kind of confused now. I thought the original post was that they were dropping Root as his RSN, but it appears that even if he buys the extra or premiere or sports pack, he still won't get the Pirates on Root. I don't get why it's not available.

#44 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

Ok, I'm kind of confused now. I thought the original post was that they were dropping Root as his RSN, but it appears that even if he buys the extra or premiere or sports pack, he still won't get the Pirates on Root. I don't get why it's not available.

You have to see it through the eyes of Root. They receive a few cents on the dollar for the rebroadcast of their channel to out of market areas minus protected content by sports leagues. In market, they have premium rates for content. If a provider shrinks the in market they are willing to pay for premium content, then Root is not allowing for content to be delivered by any means without recompense. They love this discussion if it proves to put pressure on Directv by customers moving to cable companies with the content.

#45 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

You have to see it through the eyes of Root. They receive a few cents on the dollar for the rebroadcast of their channel to out of market areas minus protected content by sports leagues. In market, they have premium rates for content. If a provider shrinks the in market they are willing to pay for premium content, then Root is not allowing for content to be delivered by any means without recompense. They love this discussion if it proves to put pressure on Directv by customers moving to cable companies with the content.

One of the most idiotic parts about this whole situation (of which there are many) is that Directv owns Root, in fact the legal name of Root Sports is Directv Sports Network.

#46 OFFLINE   captaink5217

captaink5217

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

Well I bet the local cable company has more local rsn's they provide so you could always cancel Directv and go to cable if your local cable company is good. I would have cable if blue ridge cable in my area had something similar to Genie.
Genie HR34-700
H24-200
C31-700

#47 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

The issue in the OP is plain stupidity. Blacking out a baseball fan via MLB EI because he lives near Pittsburgh but then telling him that he is also blacked out of Roots Sports because he lives to far from Pittsburgh is contradictory to a sports league actually wanting fans.

Not that this will help, but I would contact MLB and let them know about this. This decision is plain stupid and has absolutely no reason to exist. I would also contact Roots Sports and the Pirates directly. Something needs to be done about this. I thought MLB's Bob Dupay was 'supposedly' fixing these blackout issues a few years back.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#48 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 976 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

Posters lash out at you? I'm shocked! :eek2: In actuality, it's more like them having a difference of opinion.

see what I mean.. the poster stalks me on almost every post..

#49 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,669 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

One of the most idiotic parts about this whole situation (of which there are many) is that Directv owns Root, in fact the legal name of Root Sports is Directv Sports Network.

I've been saying for a long time that these companies run as companies within companies. They buy and sell from each other. I think this is evidence.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#50 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,237 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

The issue in the OP is plain stupidity. Blacking out a baseball fan via MLB EI because he lives near Pittsburgh but then telling him that he is also blacked out of Roots Sports because he lives to far from Pittsburgh is contradictory to a sports league actually wanting fans.

Not that this will help, but I would contact MLB and let them know about this. This decision is plain stupid and has absolutely no reason to exist. I would also contact Roots Sports and the Pirates directly. Something needs to be done about this. I thought MLB's Bob Dupay was 'supposedly' fixing these blackout issues a few years back.

tell it to people in the law suit.

http://sports.yahoo....-015544096.html
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#51 OFFLINE   MonyMony

MonyMony

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

This is just not an MLB issue. I live in NE Maryland and I am considered part of the Baltimore market. Directv, Dish and even Comcast offer CSN Mid Atlantic as my local RSN. The Philadelphia Flyers claim my county as their territory even though it is impossible to see their games via CSN Philly (not offered by any provider) and they blackout their games from NHL Center Ice.

While I can understand a blackout of a national feed or non-local feed if the game is available via a local network, but if the local feed is not offered/available in a particular market then why black the game out. The blackout rules sports leagues enforce makes no sense.

#52 OFFLINE   wualumni

wualumni

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:51 AM

I received the same e-mail from DirecTV and am a die-hard fan of the Pirates. I contacted the Pirates and MLB. We'll see what they have to say.

It just seems idiotic to not allow a fan some method to watch their favorite teams games. I would be willing to pay for a premium service to watch the games, but at this point can only watch the Pirates when they are on against the Cubs (10 games), the Nats (6 games) or on MLB Network (5 games) or Fox (6 games).

At most I will be able to watch 27 out of 162 of the Pirates games on TV. Good job DirecTV and MLB!

#53 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 824 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

I don't understand why he would be blacked out if he got MLB Extra Inning?

I have a similar situation for the Rangers in Hockey. With my situation in hockey, which seems identical to his in MLB, is I am in the outer ring fo MSG network converage and Directv choose not to pay the extra to include my zipcode as part of MSG's home area. So without CI, I get blacked out of every Rangers game. HOWEVER, if I did get NHL Center ICE, I can still get the Rangers games via either team's feed.

Where I get screwed out of any coverage is when the NHL network covers the Rangers. The NHL network games are NOT part of CI and what happens is the NHL Network says I am in the Rangers home area, so they black me out, but since Directv didn't pay to include MSG as my home are, I get blacked out there too(infortunately for me, the NHL network loves covering the Rangers). What's wierd is I DON'T get blacked out on the NBC Sports network.

This seems like the identical situation. Why would he be also blacked out on EI if he purchased it?

See tho, this is different then with NHL CI. My situation is identical to his with regard to the RSN issue of Directv not paying extra to include me in MSG's home area. However, when I had CI, if CI was using the MSG feed, I was allowed to view it without being blacked out. I was also allowed to see the opposing team's feed. Is this different than how MLB handles their EI package(sounds like it is)?

If the OP wants an answer to how to be able to see your game(via MLB.TV), PM me. It's quite easy actually. It's ashame viewers have to resort to questionable methods, just to be able to see something they are SUPPOSED to be seeing(aka. being in-market). :nono: :nono2:

Edited by Chuck W, 03 April 2013 - 08:58 AM.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#54 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

I don't understand why he would be blacked out if he got MLB Extra Inning?

I have a similar situation for the Rangers in Hockey. With my situation in hockey, which seems identical to his in MLB, is I am in the outer ring fo MSG network converage and Directv choose not to pay the extra to include my zipcode as part of MSG's home area. So without CI, I get blacked out of every Rangers game. HOWEVER, if I did get NHL Center ICE, I can still get the Rangers games via either team's feed.

Where I get screwed out of any coverage is when the NHL network covers the Rangers. The NHL network games are NOT part of CI and what happens is the NHL Network says I am in the Rangers home area, so they black me out, but since Directv didn't pay to include MSG as my home are, I get blacked out there too(infortunately for me, the NHL network loves covering the Rangers). What's wierd is I DON'T get blacked out on the NBC Sports network.

This seems like the identical situation. Why would he be also blacked out on EI if he purchased it?

If the OP wants and answer to how to be able to see your game(via MLB.TV), PM me. It's quite easy actually. It's ashame viewers have to resort to questionable methods, just to be able to see something they are SUPPOSED to be seeing(aka. being in-market). :nono: :nono2:

Its different because Pirates games are not available on Extra Innings to him as an "in market" subscriber. See the email from DirecTv in the OP, they clearly state this, and there's people in similar situations with MLB teams throughout the country that can't get teams via sports pack or extra innings.

#55 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 824 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:56 AM

Its different because Pirates games are not available on Extra Innings to him as an "in market" subscriber. See the email from DirecTv in the OP, they clearly state this, and there's people in similar situations with MLB teams throughout the country that can't get teams via sports pack or extra innings.

So MLB's EI is different than the NHL's CI package then. See my revision to my post above.

These blackout rules are just senseless. I was reading some statements by MLB on the lawsuit that is happening on the blackouts. MLB says it will hurt the smaller market teams while helping the bigger teams if blackouts are removed.

I don't get that. If you are a fan of the team, you will watch that team over any other... BECAUSE you are a fan of that team. I currently have a choice of viewing the Yankees/Mets/Red Sox(or Cubs even if you includes games on WGN America) in my area. I am a fan of the Yankees, so I watch the Yankees. I'm don't watch the Mets/Red Sox INSTEAD of the Yankees just because they are viewable to me.

I watch my favorite team. That's all people want. I'll be very curious to see where this blackout lawsuit goes, especially of MLB chooses to fight it, as it may require them to divulge things they may not want people to see.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#56 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

Your wishes & desires mean NOTHING to big business monopolies.........

#57 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

So MLB's EI is different than the NHL's CI package then. See my revision to my post above.

These blackout rules are just senseless. I was reading some statements by MLB on the lawsuit that is happening on the blackouts. MLB says it will hurt the smaller market teams while helping the bigger teams if blackouts are removed.

I don't get that. If you are a fan of the team, you will watch that team over any other... BECAUSE you are a fan of that team. I currently have a choice of viewing the Yankees/Mets/Red Sox(or Cubs even if you includes games on WGN America) in my area. I am a fan of the Yankees, so I watch the Yankees. I'm don't watch the Mets/Red Sox INSTEAD of the Yankees just because they are viewable to me.

I watch my favorite team. That's all people want. I'll be very curious to see where this blackout lawsuit goes, especially of MLB chooses to fight it, as it may require them to divulge things they may not want people to see.

The outer ring of MSG dealing with the NHL has some weird rules I don't fully understand, such as some areas getting up to 50 Ranger/Devils games, but no more without Center Ice. As far as I know there isn't a similar situation out there in any sport.

Usually you're either in market and get the games on your local RSN without buying sports pack, or you're out of market and get the games with Extra Innings/Center Ice, or in some cases you're in market, but have to buy sportspack to get the games on the RSN because that RSN is not technically you're "home" rsn. These new situations are cases where people used to be able to buy the sports pack to watch the games for teams that are "in market" but not on the home rsn, but now DirecTV has apparently found some loophole to pay less per subscriber for these "fringe" people, and they can't get the games without either switching their service address, or getting MLB.TV and using a VPN or Proxy Server.

I agree with you on your points against blackouts, people just want to watch their favorite teams. If you want to protect the local ads, then include the local ads on Extra Innings, MLB.TV, mobile devices, etc. Instead, MLB.tv just shows a blue screen, or their own ads.

#58 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

Your wishes & desires mean NOTHING to big business monopolies.........

You're right, but blackouts are not good business or good for consumers.

#59 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:19 AM

You're right, but blackouts are not good business or good for consumers.

Blackouts were barely effective many years ago when owners thought that everyone wanted to go to the games OVER watching it on TV

Now? HD has scared Goodell

#60 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

Doesn't D* own Root Sports? Why would they black out their own product?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...