Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No More Pirates

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   MonyMony

MonyMony

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

This is just not an MLB issue. I live in NE Maryland and I am considered part of the Baltimore market. Directv, Dish and even Comcast offer CSN Mid Atlantic as my local RSN. The Philadelphia Flyers claim my county as their territory even though it is impossible to see their games via CSN Philly (not offered by any provider) and they blackout their games from NHL Center Ice.

While I can understand a blackout of a national feed or non-local feed if the game is available via a local network, but if the local feed is not offered/available in a particular market then why black the game out. The blackout rules sports leagues enforce makes no sense.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   wualumni

wualumni

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:51 AM

I received the same e-mail from DirecTV and am a die-hard fan of the Pirates. I contacted the Pirates and MLB. We'll see what they have to say.

It just seems idiotic to not allow a fan some method to watch their favorite teams games. I would be willing to pay for a premium service to watch the games, but at this point can only watch the Pirates when they are on against the Cubs (10 games), the Nats (6 games) or on MLB Network (5 games) or Fox (6 games).

At most I will be able to watch 27 out of 162 of the Pirates games on TV. Good job DirecTV and MLB!

#53 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 827 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

I don't understand why he would be blacked out if he got MLB Extra Inning?

I have a similar situation for the Rangers in Hockey. With my situation in hockey, which seems identical to his in MLB, is I am in the outer ring fo MSG network converage and Directv choose not to pay the extra to include my zipcode as part of MSG's home area. So without CI, I get blacked out of every Rangers game. HOWEVER, if I did get NHL Center ICE, I can still get the Rangers games via either team's feed.

Where I get screwed out of any coverage is when the NHL network covers the Rangers. The NHL network games are NOT part of CI and what happens is the NHL Network says I am in the Rangers home area, so they black me out, but since Directv didn't pay to include MSG as my home are, I get blacked out there too(infortunately for me, the NHL network loves covering the Rangers). What's wierd is I DON'T get blacked out on the NBC Sports network.

This seems like the identical situation. Why would he be also blacked out on EI if he purchased it?

You have to see it through the eyes of Root. They receive a few cents on the dollar for the rebroadcast of their channel to out of market areas minus protected content by sports leagues. In market, they have premium rates for content. If a provider shrinks the in market they are willing to pay for premium content, then Root is not allowing for content to be delivered by any means without recompense. They love this discussion if it proves to put pressure on Directv by customers moving to cable companies with the content.

See tho, this is different then with NHL CI. My situation is identical to his with regard to the RSN issue of Directv not paying extra to include me in MSG's home area. However, when I had CI, if CI was using the MSG feed, I was allowed to view it without being blacked out. I was also allowed to see the opposing team's feed. Is this different than how MLB handles their EI package(sounds like it is)?

If the OP wants an answer to how to be able to see your game(via MLB.TV), PM me. It's quite easy actually. It's ashame viewers have to resort to questionable methods, just to be able to see something they are SUPPOSED to be seeing(aka. being in-market). :nono: :nono2:

Edited by Chuck W, 03 April 2013 - 08:58 AM.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Yamaha RX-V675 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#54 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

I don't understand why he would be blacked out if he got MLB Extra Inning?

I have a similar situation for the Rangers in Hockey. With my situation in hockey, which seems identical to his in MLB, is I am in the outer ring fo MSG network converage and Directv choose not to pay the extra to include my zipcode as part of MSG's home area. So without CI, I get blacked out of every Rangers game. HOWEVER, if I did get NHL Center ICE, I can still get the Rangers games via either team's feed.

Where I get screwed out of any coverage is when the NHL network covers the Rangers. The NHL network games are NOT part of CI and what happens is the NHL Network says I am in the Rangers home area, so they black me out, but since Directv didn't pay to include MSG as my home are, I get blacked out there too(infortunately for me, the NHL network loves covering the Rangers). What's wierd is I DON'T get blacked out on the NBC Sports network.

This seems like the identical situation. Why would he be also blacked out on EI if he purchased it?

If the OP wants and answer to how to be able to see your game(via MLB.TV), PM me. It's quite easy actually. It's ashame viewers have to resort to questionable methods, just to be able to see something they are SUPPOSED to be seeing(aka. being in-market). :nono: :nono2:

Its different because Pirates games are not available on Extra Innings to him as an "in market" subscriber. See the email from DirecTv in the OP, they clearly state this, and there's people in similar situations with MLB teams throughout the country that can't get teams via sports pack or extra innings.

#55 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 827 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:56 AM

Its different because Pirates games are not available on Extra Innings to him as an "in market" subscriber. See the email from DirecTv in the OP, they clearly state this, and there's people in similar situations with MLB teams throughout the country that can't get teams via sports pack or extra innings.

So MLB's EI is different than the NHL's CI package then. See my revision to my post above.

These blackout rules are just senseless. I was reading some statements by MLB on the lawsuit that is happening on the blackouts. MLB says it will hurt the smaller market teams while helping the bigger teams if blackouts are removed.

I don't get that. If you are a fan of the team, you will watch that team over any other... BECAUSE you are a fan of that team. I currently have a choice of viewing the Yankees/Mets/Red Sox(or Cubs even if you includes games on WGN America) in my area. I am a fan of the Yankees, so I watch the Yankees. I'm don't watch the Mets/Red Sox INSTEAD of the Yankees just because they are viewable to me.

I watch my favorite team. That's all people want. I'll be very curious to see where this blackout lawsuit goes, especially of MLB chooses to fight it, as it may require them to divulge things they may not want people to see.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

#56 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

Your wishes & desires mean NOTHING to big business monopolies.........

#57 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

So MLB's EI is different than the NHL's CI package then. See my revision to my post above.

These blackout rules are just senseless. I was reading some statements by MLB on the lawsuit that is happening on the blackouts. MLB says it will hurt the smaller market teams while helping the bigger teams if blackouts are removed.

I don't get that. If you are a fan of the team, you will watch that team over any other... BECAUSE you are a fan of that team. I currently have a choice of viewing the Yankees/Mets/Red Sox(or Cubs even if you includes games on WGN America) in my area. I am a fan of the Yankees, so I watch the Yankees. I'm don't watch the Mets/Red Sox INSTEAD of the Yankees just because they are viewable to me.

I watch my favorite team. That's all people want. I'll be very curious to see where this blackout lawsuit goes, especially of MLB chooses to fight it, as it may require them to divulge things they may not want people to see.

The outer ring of MSG dealing with the NHL has some weird rules I don't fully understand, such as some areas getting up to 50 Ranger/Devils games, but no more without Center Ice. As far as I know there isn't a similar situation out there in any sport.

Usually you're either in market and get the games on your local RSN without buying sports pack, or you're out of market and get the games with Extra Innings/Center Ice, or in some cases you're in market, but have to buy sportspack to get the games on the RSN because that RSN is not technically you're "home" rsn. These new situations are cases where people used to be able to buy the sports pack to watch the games for teams that are "in market" but not on the home rsn, but now DirecTV has apparently found some loophole to pay less per subscriber for these "fringe" people, and they can't get the games without either switching their service address, or getting MLB.TV and using a VPN or Proxy Server.

I agree with you on your points against blackouts, people just want to watch their favorite teams. If you want to protect the local ads, then include the local ads on Extra Innings, MLB.TV, mobile devices, etc. Instead, MLB.tv just shows a blue screen, or their own ads.

#58 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

Your wishes & desires mean NOTHING to big business monopolies.........

You're right, but blackouts are not good business or good for consumers.

#59 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:19 AM

You're right, but blackouts are not good business or good for consumers.

Blackouts were barely effective many years ago when owners thought that everyone wanted to go to the games OVER watching it on TV

Now? HD has scared Goodell

#60 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

Doesn't D* own Root Sports? Why would they black out their own product?

#61 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

Because MLB tells them to.

#62 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

Owning a channel and having transmission rights are 2 entirely different things...

#63 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

Because MLB tells them to.

So is this how the basic story goes?

Each team has a territory (and they can overlap). Games in that territory are unavailable on MLB.TV or MLB EI.

RSN pays local team the right to air the team's games to households in that territory.

MLB charges RSNs fees for airing MLB content based on # subscribers (including live games they've paid the local team the exclusive right to air).

So the RSN will charge the provider a higher price for those areas providing the team's games, which encourages them to restrict the area to where fan interest per viewer is higher.

#64 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

So is this how the basic story goes?

Each team has a territory (and they can overlap). Games in that territory are unavailable on MLB.TV or MLB EI.

RSN pays local team the right to air the team's games to households in that territory.

MLB charges RSNs fees for airing MLB content based on # subscribers (including live games they've paid the local team the exclusive right to air).

So the RSN will charge the provider a higher price for those areas providing the team's games, which encourages them to restrict the area to where fan interest per viewer is higher.

The story of blackouts in general are idiotic in so many ways...most of which involve consumers who want to watch a few games or no games being charged incredibly absurd amounts to fund the absurd deals with TV companies made with the leagues

#65 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

The Team likely owns part of the network / want's so much per sub.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#66 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,338 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

The Team likely owns part of the network / want's so much per sub.

The teams don't own Roots. DirecTV Sports Networks owns them.

https://en.wikipedia...orts_Pittsburgh
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#67 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

The teams don't own Roots. DirecTV Sports Networks owns them.

https://en.wikipedia...orts_Pittsburgh

But the team may have some pull / they get so much for each sub in the teams zone.

#68 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,940 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

But the team may have some pull / they get so much for each sub in the teams zone.

Team contracts don't work that way. They get flat money from the channel. Their interest would be to increase their coverage not for the sub money but for the branding. But MLB as a whole sets that, not individual teams.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#69 OFFLINE   hazard

hazard

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

I've sent notices to DirecTV, MLB and the Pirates themselves asking for an official response. We'll see what they say (if anything).

#70 OFFLINE   wualumni

wualumni

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:18 AM

After two weeks the Pirates have never responded, MLB says they can only talk to the blackout rules & sent me a link to the blackout rules, & DirecTV basically says tough luck.

#71 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

That's why I'm slowly unbecoming a fan of every sport I love because THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT US.........

#72 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 827 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

After two weeks the Pirates have never responded, MLB says they can only talk to the blackout rules & sent me a link to the blackout rules, & DirecTV basically says tough luck.

Isn't it frustrating? When I was trying to figure out my situation, nobody, not one single entity even cared enough to send me a real response, other than a standard canned response. The only real help I got was a couple members here that had contacts.

I am really pulling for that blackout lawsuit that is moving forward now. I'd really like to see these leagues try to explain their blackout lunacy, with a straight face, to the courts.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

#73 OFFLINE   hazard

hazard

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

Similar response for me so far too.

Nothing directly from the Pirates.

MLB sent me a canned response that contained a link to http://www.mlb.com/m...tions/index.jsp. I politely responded telling them I knew what I was blacked out from, I was trying to understand why I was blacked out out MLB.TV/EI AND from local RSNs at the same time. They replied with the exact same response. I doubt they'll respond a third time because I basically asked if they were able to read. :)

Someone responded from DirecTV in a similar way. There were pieces that were canned, but they basically said I was not in the Pirates local area and that's why I didn't receive the RSN. Yet he did say this:

"Our programming department, in conjunction with the sports governing body and the network rights holder, are the ones who determined which RSN are assigned to which zip codes.

I am curious about the link you mentioned was provided to you by MLB support. Based on your feedback, it sounds like we haven't acquired the rights to air Root Sports Pittsburgh in your market (i.e. based on zip code)."

I've sent them the link.

My gut hunch tells me that nothing will come of this, but it may be fun to see how many times I can get MLB.COM to respond with the same response.

#74 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

My gut hunch tells me that nothing will come of this, but it may be fun to see how many times I can get MLB.COM to respond with the same response.

The mlb blackout lawsuit discovery will be a fun read.

#75 OFFLINE   hazard

hazard

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

As expected, I have received no further communication from anyone.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...