Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No More Pirates

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

Doesn't D* own Root Sports? Why would they black out their own product?

Because MLB tells them to.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

Owning a channel and having transmission rights are 2 entirely different things...

#63 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

Because MLB tells them to.

So is this how the basic story goes?

Each team has a territory (and they can overlap). Games in that territory are unavailable on MLB.TV or MLB EI.

RSN pays local team the right to air the team's games to households in that territory.

MLB charges RSNs fees for airing MLB content based on # subscribers (including live games they've paid the local team the exclusive right to air).

So the RSN will charge the provider a higher price for those areas providing the team's games, which encourages them to restrict the area to where fan interest per viewer is higher.

#64 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

So is this how the basic story goes?

Each team has a territory (and they can overlap). Games in that territory are unavailable on MLB.TV or MLB EI.

RSN pays local team the right to air the team's games to households in that territory.

MLB charges RSNs fees for airing MLB content based on # subscribers (including live games they've paid the local team the exclusive right to air).

So the RSN will charge the provider a higher price for those areas providing the team's games, which encourages them to restrict the area to where fan interest per viewer is higher.

The story of blackouts in general are idiotic in so many ways...most of which involve consumers who want to watch a few games or no games being charged incredibly absurd amounts to fund the absurd deals with TV companies made with the leagues

#65 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

The Team likely owns part of the network / want's so much per sub.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#66 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,047 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

The Team likely owns part of the network / want's so much per sub.

The teams don't own Roots. DirecTV Sports Networks owns them.

https://en.wikipedia...orts_Pittsburgh
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#67 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

The teams don't own Roots. DirecTV Sports Networks owns them.

https://en.wikipedia...orts_Pittsburgh

But the team may have some pull / they get so much for each sub in the teams zone.

#68 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,641 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

But the team may have some pull / they get so much for each sub in the teams zone.

Team contracts don't work that way. They get flat money from the channel. Their interest would be to increase their coverage not for the sub money but for the branding. But MLB as a whole sets that, not individual teams.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#69 OFFLINE   hazard

hazard

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

I've sent notices to DirecTV, MLB and the Pirates themselves asking for an official response. We'll see what they say (if anything).

#70 OFFLINE   wualumni

wualumni

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:18 AM

After two weeks the Pirates have never responded, MLB says they can only talk to the blackout rules & sent me a link to the blackout rules, & DirecTV basically says tough luck.

#71 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

That's why I'm slowly unbecoming a fan of every sport I love because THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT US.........

#72 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

After two weeks the Pirates have never responded, MLB says they can only talk to the blackout rules & sent me a link to the blackout rules, & DirecTV basically says tough luck.

Isn't it frustrating? When I was trying to figure out my situation, nobody, not one single entity even cared enough to send me a real response, other than a standard canned response. The only real help I got was a couple members here that had contacts.

I am really pulling for that blackout lawsuit that is moving forward now. I'd really like to see these leagues try to explain their blackout lunacy, with a straight face, to the courts.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#73 OFFLINE   hazard

hazard

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

Similar response for me so far too.

Nothing directly from the Pirates.

MLB sent me a canned response that contained a link to http://www.mlb.com/m...tions/index.jsp. I politely responded telling them I knew what I was blacked out from, I was trying to understand why I was blacked out out MLB.TV/EI AND from local RSNs at the same time. They replied with the exact same response. I doubt they'll respond a third time because I basically asked if they were able to read. :)

Someone responded from DirecTV in a similar way. There were pieces that were canned, but they basically said I was not in the Pirates local area and that's why I didn't receive the RSN. Yet he did say this:

"Our programming department, in conjunction with the sports governing body and the network rights holder, are the ones who determined which RSN are assigned to which zip codes.

I am curious about the link you mentioned was provided to you by MLB support. Based on your feedback, it sounds like we haven't acquired the rights to air Root Sports Pittsburgh in your market (i.e. based on zip code)."

I've sent them the link.

My gut hunch tells me that nothing will come of this, but it may be fun to see how many times I can get MLB.COM to respond with the same response.

#74 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

My gut hunch tells me that nothing will come of this, but it may be fun to see how many times I can get MLB.COM to respond with the same response.

The mlb blackout lawsuit discovery will be a fun read.

#75 OFFLINE   hazard

hazard

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

As expected, I have received no further communication from anyone.

#76 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

the MLB rules / team zones are very out of date.

sports.yahoo.com/news/lawsuit-targeting-mlb-s-blackout-policy-allowed-to-proceed-015544096.html

The courts need to fix this.

Agree. I somewhat understand the NFL blackout issues but MLB is driving me crazy with how they will blackout games in my area also. I live in North Ala. and when MLB channel “nationally” televises a Braves game its just about always “blackedout”; when ESPN televises a “national” game, Monday-Saturday that game is also “blackedout”. But when ESPN’s Sunday Night baseball has a Braves games its always televised like Fox's Saturdays games. Why?

#77 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

ESPN has the exclusive rights to the games they air on Sunday Nights, so there is no local coverage of those games. Other nights of the week it is not exclusive so the team's RSN has the coverage locally while ESPN is blacked out in those markets.

#78 OFFLINE   hazard

hazard

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

Just thought I'd pop in and post about this little oddity.

So the blackout site on mlb.tv says that I'm blacked out of the Pirates games. But at least tonight, when I clicked on the game (just to see what would happen), it opened. I just finished watching Burnett lose a no-no in the 7th.

I'd be curious to know if it'll be this way every night now.

Guess when I'm in the mood to watch them, I'll have to remember to check.

#79 OFFLINE   Bic2448

Bic2448

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:45 PM

I am actually glad there are other Pirates fans in this area because I had thought I may be the only one out here.  I had lived in Northern Virginia since 2005 and moved to Jefferson County, WV last year and was able to watch all Pirates games on Root Sports Pittsburgh last year with no problem. I also along with the original poster, received that email in late March informing me that no only will the RSN Root Sports Pittsburgh Pirates games be blacked out but they would also be blacked out on the MLB Extra Innings Package that I have purchased for the past 5+ years.

What is crazy is I am willing to pay for all the extra packages to get a Pittsburgh Pirates broadcast but unfortunately if you live in Berkeley or Jefferson County, West Virginia you CANNOT watch the Pittsburgh Pirates no matter what.  Not if you subscribe to MLB Extra Innings or subscribe to the package that has the local RSN of Root Sports Pittsburgh.

All I can say as a lifelong Pirates fan (Been Watching that horrible team for over 20 years) that I kept the MLB Extra Innings Package and adopted the Kansas City Royals as my new team.  I know this is stupid considering that I am still paying Major League Baseball for the right to watch every game except the one I really want but I have had a blast watching this scrappy Kansas City team.  I hold the Pittsburgh Pirates responsible whether that makes sense or not and now my hope is that the Pittsburgh Pirates continue sucking just as they always have since I started watching those losers.

Lets Go K.C.!

#80 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,768 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:46 AM

I wonder if you can get the games on MLB.TV or on the local cable companies MLBEI package?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...