Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Does DTV need to know that I switched to SWIM dish?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hinge

hinge

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:17 AM

I'm swapping the LNB to SWim on my slimline dish, DTV doesn't need to know this because the stream that hits the dish is the same, right?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark40930

Mark40930

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:43 AM

It shouldn't make a difference on the type of dish you have. IIRC the only notation made is at time of initial install by the tech, so unless they had revised things in DORIS and Rio, the dish type is immaterial and should not come up unless you are calling for troubleshooting.

D* Setup:
1 x HR24-500 DVR

FTA Setup (in storage):
HotDish 90cm dish
Invacom Linear/Circular LNBF
Openbox S16 HD receiver

Another circumstance, too, worried me in those days: that there was no on like me and I was unlike anyone else. - Dostoyevsky

#3 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:43 AM

I'm swapping the LNB to SWim on my slimline dish, DTV doesn't need to know this because the stream that hits the dish is the same, right?

It will work without telling them. But you might want to let them know so they can update your records for what hardware you have installed.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#4 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

Knowing what type of equipment you have, including the fact that you do or don't have a SWiM, affects the troubleshooting paths taken and can impact what equipment offers are available to you in the future.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#5 OFFLINE   sstv

sstv

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

It will work without telling them. But you might want to let them know so they can update your records for what hardware you have installed.

I upgraded to a "Genie" system, Hr34 and Hr24, from two Hr24's. I had told DTV many times that I had installed a SWM system but when the tech arrived, he said DTV knew nothing about my SWM system and he had all the equipment for a full install.
after a long discussion and a phone call to DTV. the Tech installed a new green sw3 Lnb as my old Lnb used a Band stop filter. The Hr34 has worked very well with the existing Hr24 and a CCK hooked to my "2wire" works fine. I replaced the CCK with a Cat5 cable to the Hr34 to keep it simple. Best $50.00 upgrade I ever had.

SSTV

#6 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

What does DirecTV know, when did they know it, and did they know they knew it ??

!rolling

{we've probably all had that call with DirecTV tech support when you start wondering if they keep the account records written on the back of envelopes stuffed in a shoe box under the bed in the guest room}

{and to their credit, that seems to be happening much less these days}

#7 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

They only Notice when the bill becomes past due- Then they will be interested in your account - Not how it's TV service being received.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,623 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

AFAIK, the equipment tab on RIO/DORIS only gets updated when a tech closes the line item. meaning if is not installed by a tech, it will not get updated
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

This happened a while back for a DISH client of mine, and I've now learned I have a DirecTV client with their version of that same issue;

a non-return fee was assessed to the account while that specific receiver was active on the account and being charged the monthly additional receiver fee.

This client added a receiver in the same billing cycle when the charge was made, but AFAIK, their wasn't any connection with the receiver that garnered the non-return fee. (multi DVR household, they added an additional HDDVR when a kid dropped out of college and returned home) (that, in my view is reinforcing the wrong behavior, but that's another thread, LOL)

FWIW, my customer informed me the CSR at DirecTV claimed, in many years of employ there, to never have seen this specific billing problem before.

#10 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

yes you should call and have it updated (and yes there is a way to update) swm true vs no swm affect your eligible equipment offers and services as well as troubleshooting paths
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#11 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,399 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

I recently upgraded my system from the "classic" Slimline setup to SWM, using a SWM-16. At the same time, I converted my unsupported Ethernet MRV to use SWM and DECA's.

I called DirecTV to let them know about the modification, primarily so that, if I do have an MRV problem, they will be help me trouble-shoot as my MRV is running in the supported configuration.

When I called, the first CSR transferred me to someone else (in the equipment department?), who was able to update my account accordingly.

#12 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

I went SWM on my LNB years ago on my own. DirecTV still doesn't "know" about it. I'd do it and not think twice about it. You are, of course, on your own from there, but given how unbelievably aggravating it is to talk to DirecTV tech, this is not a bad thing.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,390 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

I called DirecTV to let them know about the modification, primarily so that, if I do have an MRV problem, they will be help me trouble-shoot as my MRV is running in the supported configuration.

I thought the party line was that if DIRECTV didn't "professional install" the system, it was unsupported regardless of the networking technology.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#14 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

During other calls I was forced to make when an H20 burned up on me, I tried to get them to make my record reflect the SWM. They said they could not. Of course, I was not inclined to play the idiotic game of CSR roulette, either.

I recently upgraded my system from the "classic" Slimline setup to SWM, using a SWM-16. At the same time, I converted my unsupported Ethernet MRV to use SWM and DECA's.

When I called, the first CSR transferred me to someone else (in the equipment department?), who was able to update my account accordingly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#15 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,399 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

I thought the party line was that if DIRECTV didn't "professional install" the system, it was unsupported regardless of the networking technology.

The second CSR who I spoke with (the one who I was transferred to and updated my account) told me that, once the equipment was updated, I my MRV would automatically be considered supported. He didn't need to do anything else.

I can't prove whether he was correct or not, as I haven't had any MRV problems that have caused me to call.

#16 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,079 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

What does "unsupported" mean in this context? Let's say two neighbors have identical installs with a Slimline dish and WB68 switch connected to 7 receivers, and both wanted to add a two tuner DVR. One calls Directv and they come out and replace his WB68 with a SWM16 and plug in the DVR to an existing cable run. The other buys the DVR and SWM16 and does it himself. What differences in future 'support' would there be for the two neighbors? What services will the guy with the "professional install" get that his DIY neighbor won't?

Hopefully it is just like if you jailbreak your iPhone or root your GS3. You can't call Apple or Samsung support for potentially software related problems like crashing or poor battery life until you bring the software back to spec, but if the screen cracks under warranty, they can't refuse to fix it just because your phone's software has been altered.

So worst case, I would assume that if you have problems and call Directv they'll send a tech out and charge you for their time and materials to check out the system and verify everything is up to their specs, and correct it if necessary, before going any further. That's reasonable, the quality of installers seems to vary quite a bit as it is without them trying to troubleshoot something I installed when they have no idea if I do better work than their techs or think its a great idea to use fire damaged RG59 cable rescued from a dumpster to wire everything.

If they refused to do something like enable MRV if they didn't do the install, I think that's unreasonable. They should flip the switch and if it doesn't work, its on you to fix or pay them to bring your system back into a supported state before proceeding.

#17 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

Pretty much what it comes down to I believe is that an unsupported install will not be eligible for troubleshooting over the phone.

Also if they have to send a tech out it only costs $50 if you have a supported system, and it would include any hardware or amount of time to get it working again (or no cost at all if you have the protection plan). If your system is unsupported you would theoretically have to pay for any hardware needed, the tech's time, etc.

For example if you have a Whole Home DVR install done by DirecTV, they install all the splitters, DECA adapters, etc themselves and warranty that work. If one of your DECA adapters quits working they will send one to you for free to replace it.

If you buy the DECA adapters yourself, and install it yourself DirecTV has no idea if you did it right or not. So if your DECA adapter suddenly quits working they don't know if it's because you did something wrong, the install is wrong, etc. So they are not going to just send you another one for free, you are on your own to buy a replacement and install it.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#18 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,390 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

My question remains unanswered: is it possible to have a supported "self-installed" SWiM setup without, as slice1900 suggests, paying to have it professionally reviewed?

References on the DIRECTV website forums to DIY unsupported don't seem to support the idea.

Another lingering question: what does DIRECTV think this support entails?

There are many theories and most seem quite reasonable but they seem to be pet theories as opposed to official DIRECTV policy.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#19 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 941 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

My question remains unanswered: is it possible to have a supported "self-installed" SWiM setup without, as slice1900 suggests, paying to have it professionally reviewed?

References on the DIRECTV website forums to DIY unsupported don't seem to support the idea.

Another lingering question: what does DIRECTV think this support entails?

There are many theories and most seem quite reasonable but they seem to be pet theories as opposed to official DIRECTV policy.

Yes. I have one at my house that I installed myself. Many people do.

#20 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,390 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

Yes. I have one at my house that I installed myself. Many people do.

Have you been able to ascertain if DIRECTV considers your DIY installation "supported"?

Many acknowledge that they have "unsupported" setups but the fright would be those who confident that they are "supported" and it turns out that DIRECTV disagrees.

Of course if this "support" means reading scripts and arranging costly truck rolls when it doesn't work, is it really what these many people were hoping for?

spam firewall