Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Nomad Issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tonyftony716

Tonyftony716

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

Hey all,

Having issues with Nomad on my iPhone and iPad.

On my IPad I can view my shows on the DVR but all shows that we're previously downloaded are not listed. The strange thing is that my settings still show that the memory used to store those programs are on the IPad. So it is like they are there just not viewable or accessible. I can download shows still but previously downloaded shows are still not viewable. I would uninstall and reinstall but the nomad program but the programs I had previously downloaded have been deleted from the DVR so I want to exhaust all possibilities before doing this.

On my iPhone the shows I have previously downloaded are still there and viewable(unlike my IPad). But I can't view my DVR list which I CAN do on my IPad. Strange. I did not have any issues previously.

Any suggestions?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,575 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

On my IPad I can view my shows on the DVR but all shows that we're previously downloaded are not listed. The strange thing is that my settings still show that the memory used to store those programs are on the IPad. So it is like they are there just not viewable or accessible. I can download shows still but previously downloaded shows are still not viewable. I would uninstall and reinstall but the nomad program but the programs I had previously downloaded have been deleted from the DVR so I want to exhaust all possibilities before doing this.

Any chance the shows on the iPad were downloaded more than 30 days ago? If so, that would explain why they're no longer viewable. That wouldn't explain why they're still taking up iPad space, however. I'm not sure when expired files actually get deleted. :scratchin

On my iPhone the shows I have previously downloaded are still there and viewable(unlike my IPad). But I can't view my DVR list which I CAN do on my IPad. Strange. I did not have any issues previously.

If these shows were downloaded to the iPhone after they were downloaded to the iPad, and have been on the phone less than 30 days, that would explain why they're still viewable.

As far as not being able to see the DVR playlist, you might try completely quitting and then restarting the iPhone client app. Sometimes that works. If not, I've found pressing and holding the Nomad front-panel red reset button for 30 seconds also fixes that issue.

Edited by Steve, 31 March 2013 - 09:01 AM.

/steve

#3 OFFLINE   Tonyftony716

Tonyftony716

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

Thanks for the reply. Shows on both the iPhone and IPad have been downloaded in the last week.

I tried resetting the nomad but there are no changes. It is very bizarre. I never have issues.

#4 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

Hey all,

Having issues with Nomad on my iPhone and iPad.

Any suggestions?

When a program is deleted from the DVR it is automatically deleted from the Nomad storage as well. Perhaps if you then reconnect the mobile device to the Nomad (i.e. launch the app will connected to your local network) the program may be cleared from the device as well.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#5 OFFLINE   Tonyftony716

Tonyftony716

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

I have been deleting programs from my DVR that I downloaded onto my Nomad for over a year without incident. The strange thing is my Nomad on my IPad consists of 6.9 GB. Of storage when I can only see 2 hours of SD Downloaded shows. The rest must be the shows I previously downloaded but can't see since last night.

Any other suggestions before I try to reinstall ?

#6 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,907 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

To see if you can view Nomad programs in your iPad that are actually in your iPad, do the following.

-Go to settings turn off WiFi and if cellular, turn it off too.
-Close Nomad
-Reboot the iPad. Hold down power and home together for 5 secs till reboot.
-Once the ipad powers up, keep the wireless off and bring up the Nomad client.

If the shows are viewable you will see them in the Ipad tab in Nomad.

#7 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

I think I understand what is going on here. Once a program is deleted from the DVR it is also deleted off the Nomad device. It will stay on your portable device for 30 days from when it was downloaded off the Nomad device, unless you delete it yourself. It will not get deleted if you download other recordings from your Nomad device within those 30 days (at least I haven't noticed it happen to me).

Once the 30 days is up it disappears from the list of recordings available on your portable device. I believe the recording is actually still on your device though, it's just kind of in the "recycle bin" of sorts. I think if you go to settings, general, usage it will still show the Nomad program as taking up that space. It will stay there on the hard drive until you add a new app, download more songs, or other Nomad recordings to the point where the device needs that storage space to store the new data.

I'm wondering if they do this to possible speed up the transfer process if it is needed again. For example if you transferred a copy of Castle from your Nomad to your device. It is still on your DVR, and the transcoded version is still on your Nomad. 30 days later it expires off you device, so you tell it to transfer to your device again. Rather than copy the whole program over again it just looks and sees that it is still on your Nomad and your portable device so it just updates the expiration date to 30 days further into the future and no real data transfer has to take place. I'm not sure if this is what they do, but maybe it is?
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...