Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

could NOT GET HD extra pack..

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

so my 'free trial" of the hd extra pack ended.. and yesterday, I called to try and get it again.. and was told NO.. believe it or not..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,177 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

Ok

JACK,

#3 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

so my 'free trial" of the hd extra pack ended.. and yesterday, I called to try and get it again.. and was told NO.. believe it or not..

why would you call in when you can go online to your account and under premiums it says "0.00 for 3 months"

I've been doing that for 2+ years now. Got the "free trial" then cancelled a day before its up, log into account and boom its back showing as an option

#4 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,545 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

Unless you're on grandfathered old package you can add/remove it no problem, and if you add it again even on the same day you get the free trial again.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#5 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

Unless you're on grandfathered old package you can add/remove it no problem, and if you add it again even on the same day you get the free trial again.

From bjlc's other thread on "How to get more 'hearts'": "I have kept my same service which is total choice plus ( grandfathered)".

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#6 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,545 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

From bjlc's other thread on "How to get more 'hearts'": "I have kept my same service which is total choice plus ( grandfathered)".

Then you will have to call in to add HD Extra Pack, through automated system prompt if it's possible(Not sure I never tried that) Although you can remove it online.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:22 AM

If I'm not mistaken, the OP is complaining he couldnt get the HD Extra Pack for free anymore. Do you really want it, or just if you can get it for free?

#8 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

Why would anyone worry about the cost of a package that is only $4.99 a month?

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#9 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,177 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

If I'm not mistaken, the OP is complaining he couldnt get the HD Extra Pack for free anymore. Do you really want it, or just if you can get it for free?

I think he wants it for free.

JACK,

#10 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

actually I posted this as a courtesy to the forum.. because various members "brag" about getting the pack for free.. and other posters saying that the practice is going to stop.. so I just thought I was doing the forum a favor.. silly me..

#11 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:32 AM

Why would anyone worry about the cost of a package that is only $4.99 a month?

this does add up to just less then $60 per year.. for some that's not a lot of money.. for others it is..

#12 OFFLINE   philtec

philtec

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPhila PA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:48 AM

I just signed up online for this free package. Thanks for the info.
Can I cancel online or do I have to call to cancel just before my 3 months are up???

#13 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

I just signed up online for this free package. Thanks for the info.
Can I cancel online or do I have to call to cancel just before my 3 months are up???

Cancel online. Then go to another page and then back and you can re-add it for 3 months at $0.00.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#14 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

I dont understand why directv still charges extra $4.99 a month for these channels? verizon has some of them in the ultimate pack at no extra charge. I think verizon is getting the sony channel soon but of course we dont have the audience, or short films either.. But we do have smithsonian ,palladia,i forget what else is in the hd pack, but i just feel they shouldnt charge extra for these.

#15 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

I dont understand why directv still charges extra $4.99 a month for these channels? verizon has some of them in the ultimate pack at no extra charge. I think verizon is getting the sony channel soon but of course we dont have the audience, or short films either.. But we do have smithsonian ,palladia,i forget what else is in the hd pack, but i just feel they shouldnt charge extra for these.

How much is the Verizon ultimate pack?

#16 OFFLINE   DIELES

DIELES

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

My free trial ended in Feb and have been trying to activate the 3 months free ever since then online but get a message that an error had occurred in the system and I need to call in to activate. Anybody else have this?

#17 OFFLINE   kayleighx

kayleighx

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

why would you call in when you can go online to your account and under premiums it says "0.00 for 3 months"

I've been doing that for 2+ years now. Got the "free trial" then cancelled a day before its up, log into account and boom its back showing as an option

really???!!! i'm going to try this. Thanks!!:D

#18 OFFLINE   sliderbob

sliderbob

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

Dish has a similar package, but it's $10/month

#19 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

I happen to call D* today.. and still couldn't get the free pack..  and I still wonder why its just not part of the regular HD package..

#20 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,881 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

The only way to get the free trial multiple times is to call and cancel BEFORE the free trial expires. Since according to your previous posts it already expired, the only way to get the package now is to pay for it. Officially you're not even supposed to get the trial multiple times, but a known loophole that has yet to be closed allows you to get it again via DirecTV's website, if you cancel before the trial expires.

The main reason why they aren't part of the regular package is because they either do not have an SD version (HDNet Movies, MGM HD, Palladia, ShortsHD, Sony Movie Channel, Universal HD) or DirecTV only carries them in HD (Crime and Investigation, Hallmark Movie Channel, Smithsonian).

The few HD only channels that are available in the regular packages like Velocity and AXS are a result of contracts. I don't know the full story on why Velocity is unique (probably related to the old Discovery HD Theater days when it was a bonus that came with the rest of Discovery's channels which didn't have their own HD feeds at the time) As for AXS, the original plan was to move HDNet to HD Extra too, but they fought back and came to agreement that just had HDNet Movies move.

Edited by KyL416, 17 May 2013 - 04:24 PM.

spam firewall