Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Connecting Kingdome in-motion (travel) and SWM (parked)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   galtsfan

galtsfan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

I just bought a MH that has a Kingdome dish. It also has a feed for a tripod.
I have a HR21 DVR. I know only enough about the DVR to be dangerous. In my previous RV (fifth wheel) I carried a tripod with a SWM dish and was able to find the bird and get a good signal. My question is can I use the second sat. input on the DVR for the Kingdome and put the tripod on the first input once I'm set-up? It'll save me having to drag the DVR out and swapping inputs each time I set-up. Second method I thought might work would be an A/B switch from the two sources into the first input. But, I don't think the Kingdome has a SWM and the manual says "SATELLITE IN 1 (SWM-2) – Use to connect the DIRECTV HD DVR PRO to a satellite dish antenna.
If your installation includes an SWM (Single Wire Module), connect the SWM output to this input."
All advice would be appreciated.

Marv

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

can I use the second sat. input on the DVR for the Kingdome and put the tripod on the first input once I'm set-up?

No
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,812 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

If you can live with single tuner service on your DVR, you can use a non-SWM slimline dish on the tripod (or run two coax for dual tuner capability). You will still need to go back through satellite setup though to switch from single LNB (Kingdome) to 3 or 5 LNB.

To switch back and forth between SWM and the Kingdome will probably be difficult, as the receivers typically don't like to go from SWM to non-SWM.

#4 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:16 AM

galtsfan,
I don't know all the ins and outs of the Kingdome system, but a quick check of their website shows that the most expensive one they sell only works on birds 101 and 119. That's basically all SD (Ku) stuff. For the HD (Ka) birds (99 & 103) you need the slimline dish.

If you are a glutton for punishment, you can certainly try the options you mentioned. But, I think most of them will leave you more frustrated than satisfied. Since you know your way around setting up a SWM Slimline dish I would just stick with that.

Later when you are feeling rich, you can swap-out your Kingdome for a Travler DirecTV SWM dish.

I'm also with carl6, receivers don't like being switched from SWM to regular. On a recent move by a family member the installer could not switch an HR23 from regular to SWM no matter what he tried. So, I would not feel comfortable with this option.
Bob

#5 OFFLINE   galtsfan

galtsfan

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:41 AM

Thanks for all of the input folks. I didn't know the limitations of the HR21 when switching from one dish to the other. Maybe a second receiver ie. a H24 to work with the Kingdome while traveling and the HR21 on the tripod when parked would be the easiest way. I just thought of another topic for a thread.
Will the kingdome work with hughes net?

Thanks again, Marv

#6 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOn the road in North America...

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:17 AM

NO

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,812 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

I just thought of another topic for a thread.

Thanks again, Marv

Nope, totally different type of LNB and technology involved.

#8 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

Keep satellite use simple, you're on vacation, have fun. Taking a 1/2 hour (at the very least) to mess around with the dish and reception peaking and switching over SWiM and back is just not fun. And maybe having to call D* CSR and burn up even more valuable vacation time makes me recoil in horror!!

I do have a customer with a motorhome, and he does take it out a few times a year, but mostly it is parked behind the house, and he happily spends free time in it whenever he gets a chance. There's no landline phone in it, but I did wire it into the home's satellite system. They spend many happy hours there, and I get the impression they enjoy the backyard as much as anywhere they go.

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,723 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

Keep satellite use simple, you're on vacation, have fun. Taking a 1/2 hour (at the very least) to mess around with the dish and reception peaking and switching over SWiM and back is just not fun. And maybe having to call D* CSR and burn up even more valuable vacation time makes me recoil in horror!!

I do have a customer with a motorhome, and he does take it out a few times a year, but mostly it is parked behind the house, and he happily spends free time in it whenever he gets a chance. There's no landline phone in it, but I did wire it into the home's satellite system. They spend many happy hours there, and I get the impression they enjoy the backyard as much as anywhere they go.

I don't get it !

Would be everyone happy if each installer spent just 1/2 hr to install a dish ? :)

Being on vacation, spending 1/2 hour for fun in open air - what could be better ?
Motorhome it's a ... perpetuate vacation; what is the 1/2 hr for install - lost time in eternity? :D

#10 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

LOL, you did not include as 'fun' a call to DirecTV CSR!

That's nobodies idea of a good use of critical vacation time!

#11 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOn the road in North America...

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

LOL, you did not include as 'fun' a call to DirecTV CSR!

That's nobodies idea of a good use of critical vacation time!

I know a lot of people that use a tripod while RVing. They never call DirecTV. But they also don't try to mess around with their service address while RVing either. They either have DNS or they use an OTA antenna for local networks. The snowbirds that only move a couple times a year do change their service address.

spam firewall