Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish HD only packages?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

Does Dish still have those HD only packages? When I left a year ago they had dish silver, dish gold, platinum, etc. I believe they under went a name change but still existed. Can't find anything on their site about them. And if you go to sign up they aren't an option you can choose from. But they must still have them.

Dish is only doing discounts now on 12 of the 24 month commitment?

Edited by archer75, 01 April 2013 - 10:16 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,197 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

Does Dish still have those HD only packages? When I left a year ago they had dish silver, dish gold, platinum, etc. I believe they under went a name change but still existed. Can't find anything on their site about them. And if you go to sign up they aren't an option you can choose from. But they must still have them.

Dish is only doing discounts now on 12 of the 24 month commitment?

They no longer offer the HD only packages to new customers. If you're an existing customer who subscribes to them you are grandfathered and can keep them, for how long who knows. Yes that's how the contract works, if you agree to stick around for two years Dish will give you a discount for the first year. Think Directv does it the same last I checked.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#3 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

Direct gives one discount for the first year, then a smaller discount for the 2nd year.

Looking at package pricing, the regular out of contract price for dish is about the same that I pay for my 2nd year promo price on direct. And dish blows away the out of contract price on direct.

I have 1 year left on my direct contract but no longer feel like paying that much money(i'm on the 2nd to lowest package). So i'm looking into some potential options.

#4 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

If you subscribe now, the choices for the metal packages are on your programming page. If you do not subscribe now they are not available because there is no discount for them that a new subscriber gets. So to diffuse any misunderstandings they are not available online. They ARE available to new subscribers who do not want the discounts. But you can not sign up online. There is a post of someone who did that, because they bought their own equipment so they would not have a two year contract, thereby losing the discounts anyway. He then signed up, as a new customer with one of metal packages.

#5 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

The only one of the "HD Only" packages that is still available is the Dish America pack, which was the base of the 3 that were previously available. The other two are no longer available. Customers who already have them are grandfathered in, but cannot switch between them, and if they change their package, they would lose it permanently.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

Protected By... spam firewall...And...