Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DISH OTA Module - is there just one?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Simple question - is the 222k, 722k, and 922 OTA modules all the same one? e.g. You buy a module for the 722 off eBay and it also works in the 922 (universal)?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

There are two different add ons for OTA on Dish receivers. One works with Vip (222, 722k, 922) models and one for Hopper. One other note, the 722k requires the module, the 722 has it built in (and only one OTA at a time as does the module needed for the Hopper), the module for Vip can tune 2 OTA at the same time.

#3 OFFLINE   NCwolfpack00

NCwolfpack00

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:48 AM

I am going to order the off air module for my Hopper at my house. I have a few questions:
1. Can I select which off air channel
My hopper will record??
2. I can receive tv channels using my off air antenna from 2 different DMA's. will the hopper let me watch the channels from 2 different DMA using antenna
3. Can I watch the off air station on the hopper during times of satellite loss during storms??

#4 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:32 AM

I am going to order the off air module for my Hopper at my house. I have a few questions:
1. Can I select which off air channel
My hopper will record??

Yes
2. I can receive tv channels using my off air antenna from 2 different DMA's. will the hopper let me watch the channels from 2 different DMA using antenna

Yes as long as you can pick them up in the scan and they are not in a direction that requires a rescan to pick up.
3. Can I watch the off air station on the hopper during times of satellite loss during storms??

Yes, this is what I do.

See my comments in red.

#5 OFFLINE   NCwolfpack00

NCwolfpack00

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

I have the OTA installed and it works great. Is there a function for Primetime anytime to record one of the OTA channels?? So can PTA record "the big4" as we'll as 1 additional OTA channel or do I have to manual record anything on OTA channels?

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

PTA only works because it uses a single tuner to record "big 4" channels that are on the same SAT transponder...  otherwise it would take multiple tuners to do that same thing every night.

Feel free to set a manual timer on any individual OTA channel and record that same time-block every night if you want... or just set timers specific shows you know you want via OTA.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#7 OFFLINE   NCwolfpack00

NCwolfpack00

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for your help.
I hope you can help solve this next problem. My friend as a SD dish DVR with Dual Wire LNB. So there are 2 RG6 wires running from LNB to inside SD DVR. He wants to install an OTA on the roof and diplex the OTA signal with the 2 wires coming from satellite and then separate them in the house. Basically he wants to have an OTA on his TV without running a 3rd wire. What can I buy to do this with?? Some suggested a holland diplexer but its only for one OTA wire and one Sat wire, which leaves one sat wire untouched !! I'm not sure if that will work if it does how would I know what wire OTA signal is on once I'm inside the house??

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

it will works fine, just pick _one _ cable and cut it for two diplexers, up and down

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

Yeah... just pick one of them, at the point where you want to diplex in the OTA signal...  cut it and add connectors (of course)...  put one diplexor there and connect the OTA from the antenna.

Inside, where the receiver is, pick a wire... either wire... and add the other diplexor there and see if your antenna signal is there.  IF not, swap it to the other SAT cable.  You can't hurt anything and you have a 50/50 chance of guessing right the first time anyway.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#10 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 655 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

If this receiver is feeding a 2nd room, the installer, may have allready used diplexers to feed the TV2 output to that 2nd room.  If so, you'll need to use the other cable.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

spam firewall