Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV installer arrested for allegedly stealing bulldog puppy from subscriber's hom

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DirectMan

DirectMan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

http://redlands.patc...#photo-13840395

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

I was just about to post this.Too bad you just cant trust anybody these days. I'm glad the people got their dog back! and hopefully directv will can figure out a way to verify new employees ID'S.

#3 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

Unfortunate situation, thankfully rare.

Happy customer got the puppy back.

In many years of TV work have only encountered one instance of a sat tech walking off with something. In that case, the item was returned and no charges were filed. I happened to be at customers home when deputy returned the item and everyone was very relieved incident was resolved.

Tech apparently did not realize item was valued well over $5000, and as it turns out, authorities managed to contact his wife first. Apparently they were able to 'plausibly find' the item in the equipment cardboard boxes he had piled in his garage. Item 'supposedly' had fallen off dresser or TV stand or end table into packing materials and was 'inadvertantly' carried off.

Deputy related when he went to tech's home to retrieve the item the installer, who was home by then, had an 'overwrought' and 'hammy' reaction to the 'accident'.

Glad that resolved, but it made me wonder if tech had done it before.

#4 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

I was just about to post this.Too bad you just cant trust anybody these days. I'm glad the people got their dog back! and hopefully directv will can figure out a way to verify new employees ID'S.

I'm sure DirecTV verified their identity to hire them. The bottom line is that there are idiots and bad people in the world that will do stupid and bad things. Companies the size of DirecTV or Dish or Comcast or Walmart or Target will always have a few bad stories like this come up.

#5 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

http://redlands.patc...#photo-13840395

Scumbag
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#6 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

Scumbag

Scumbag Steve?
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

I'm sure DirecTV verified their identity to hire them. The bottom line is that there are idiots and bad people in the world that will do stupid and bad things. Companies the size of DirecTV or Dish or Comcast or Walmart or Target will always have a few bad stories like this come up.

Not necessarily, if he was a sub-contractor then DTV hires the subcontractor and they are responsible for hiring their own techs. Usually they do this properly and submit background checks and drug test but every now and then you get "ghost techs" running under someone else's name that has already passed a background check and such and may have left or never even started in some cases.

#8 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

Luckily the customer had a security camera (or a surveillance camera nearby) at his residence, Who knows if they would have found out if it was the installer or someone else.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#9 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

I would be devastated if they took that cute puppy from me, as i just saw the picture at the bottom of the article.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#10 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

Cute dog!

JACK,

#11 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

An "undocumented and recently deported felon". Great.

I'm glad I installed my DirecTV system myself and know how to maintain it.
  • Volatility likes this

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#12 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

I hope this helps clear up why some people would rather not have strangers roaming around in their house.

#13 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,901 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

I had a friend who had their bulldog stolen and I was unsure why some jerk like the one in the article would steal one. Then, I found out how expensive they are!
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

I would be devastated if they took that cute puppy from me, as i just saw the picture at the bottom of the article.

Always wanted one of them. Wife and son have terrible allergies and we can only have dogs that don't shed. Westies, Poodles, Bichons, that sort of dog. We settled on Westies, but I sure would like a bulldog.

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

I had a friend who had their bulldog stolen and I was unsure why some jerk like the one in the article would steal one. Then, I found out how expensive they are!

You can get them cheaper than that from breeders. Go to a puppy store and you'll pay top price. We're looking for another Westie and they go from ~ $600 to as much as $3,000, or close to it.

I had more problems with the Westie I bought at a breeders than one I bought at a store. Yeah, the breeder was half what I paid at a puppy store, but the one I got from the puppy store has been much healthier. Simply put, it seems like a crap shoot anywhere you buy the puppy.

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

What an idiot this guy is!!!!

Im glad they got thier dog back!

#17 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend