Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Crestron/IP control/MRV

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ERDr

ERDr

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

Hey All

I currently have a HR24 but would like to upgrade to multiple receivers for MRV. I'm looking at one for each TV so 8 units. I'm also having a Crestron system retrofitted into my house. I received a quote for $35,000 just for the DM video matrix. I figure using multiple receivers will be cheaper in the short & long run. I plan on centrally stacking all of the equipment. Crestron has an IP control driver for the HR24. I'll be using HDMI over IP adapters to get the signal to the TV. There will be a separate Crestron wireless subnet to get the remote control signals back to the equipment closet.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but if I had 8 HR24s (or 7 with a HR34/HR44) then all recordings would show up on the universal recording list and any receiver could access any program stored on a different DVR. Should I be using all HR24 or combo of HR24 & HR34/44, or something else?

My house has enterprise grade network equipment and multiple APs for wireless. I'd like to be able to use the internet DirecTV apps. With DECA and all, I'm having a hard time helping the installer plan everything out.

I'd love some suggestions

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,166 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:07 AM

My first suggestion would be to find a contractor that's fluent in DirecTV or get Directv to install your HRs.

The main purpose of whole home is to allow the DVRs to send their recordings to any other HD DVR or H2x receiver. You can centralize all the equipment but your distribution system looks way overpriced and overkill.

7 or 8 HRs will produce a unified playlist. Tuner count is the critical part. A SWiM-16 can handle 16 tuners. Each HR2x has 2, a 34/44 has 5 tuners.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

Using a bank of HRs is, IMHO, going to be very complicated. Once major issue will be keeping track of which DVR is recording which programs at what times. What I think you should do is think about how many simultaneous recording tuners you need. We have 13 in our installation, but that is more an accident of history than a design (we added the HR34 after already having 4 other DVRs). In most cases, a single Genie (HR34 or HR44) will probably handle all of your recording needs. Then add H25s (single tuner HD receivers) to provide live viewing at each location and support playback of recordings. The advantage of using H25s is that it will allow you to manage your recordings connected to any H25.

For example, if you decide you need 7 simultaneous recording tuners you could get a HR44 and a HR24. When you want to program a new recording you can connect to ANY H25, select the program to record and press the record button. You would then be prompted for the DVR where you want to schedule the recording. From a DVR you can ONLY schedule recordings on THAT DVR. In fact, you could have a HR24 and a HR44 (7 tuners) plus 8 H25s (one for each TV, for a total of 15 tuners) and NEVER actually watch either DVR directly. IOW, the DVRs would be servers only. You could have a local monitor in the equipment room for server management. The equipment cost would be a couple of hundred dollars less than 8 HR24s and far easier to manage.

Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

spam firewall