Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DTV does NOT want HR20-700 back

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

I would advise caution in asking DirecTV about any 'previously enjoyed' receiver anyone might be looking at to add to their account.

Had a CSR tell me a particular H20 was fine for activating, but after wasting a heap of time finalizing a deal and setting up installation appt, the card department would under no conditions send a new card for the H20. Tough situation, and I would not wish it on someone else.

Recounted story to an 'official' D* tech and he claimed he would be able to get it working on another account. Might see him on a big install Friday, I'll have H20 in the truck and ask again.

Having recounted that for a residential situation, conversely, on the business install side, I've had several units from upgraded (residential) installs I wound up with, that D* happily activated on a nursing home head end system, and they even reactivated the access cards that were in the boxes.

None of those have be HD boxes, they were SD non DVR units. Got the feeling D* realizes uprating commercial accounts is, as Martha says, a good thing.

As for the OP, pretty safe recycling an HR20, but I sure hate seeing D* units with OTA capability chucked. Argh!

Edited by gov, 02 April 2013 - 05:28 PM.
parseing

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

If it was leased, you can't do that. Just because they don't want it back does NOT mean it's yours and you can sell it. It can only be activated on your account.

Unfortunately, you can sell the leased receivers on eBay. It's done every day. I get instant notifications every time a 24 is put on eBay and most of them are leased and their accounts have money owed on them and they get sold. I've bought a couple really cheap 24s just to get the power supplies.

eBay does nothing to stop this. Gotta check the RID#s or Serial#s (something new) with the Access Card folks to determine whether it is leased or owned.

Rich

#23 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,915 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

Plus you have to hope that the box you actually get matches the numbers you were given to check....

#24 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

Plus you have to hope that the box you actually get matches the numbers you were given to check....

Yeah, there's that too. And you can't rely on eBay to make it right.

Rich

#25 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

Wasn't looking to make an excuse for anyone. Was simply asking for an intelligent discourse on why the basic property law doesn't apply to Directv.

It does. It's abandoned property, which means it's finders keepers.

It's not leased anymore -- it's "previously leased". It's owned. So you can do whatever you want with it -- it's perfectly legal. That's why eBay doesn't stop their sale.

Now, DirecTV has a policy in place where they don't allow owned but previously leased receivers to be activated. Legally, D* probably shouldn't be able to do this because owned is owned (unless the receiver is so old that D* doesn't support it anymore). But it comes down to how much time and effort you want to spend arguing with or suing D* to activate an almost obsolete receiver.

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

It does. It's abandoned property, which means it's finders keepers.

It's not leased anymore -- it's "previously leased". It's owned. So you can do whatever you want with it -- it's perfectly legal. That's why eBay doesn't stop their sale.

eBay doesn't stop the sales of leased 24s or any other model. Their enforcement of their own rules is pitiful.

Rich

#27 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

If it was leased, you can't do that. Just because they don't want it back does NOT mean it's yours and you can sell it. It can only be activated on your account.

Yes you can. It's now yours. I verified with DirecTV when I removed it from the account. You can do what you want with it. I sold it no problems.
Panasonic 58PX60U
DirectTV HR34-700, HR24-500, H23-600

No OTA only Sat
AU9(Slimline) SL3 SWM Dish

All 3 receivers connected via DECA and bridged to 8-port Rosewill RC-410X Gigabit Switch.

#28 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

eBay doesn't stop the sales of leased 24s or any other model. Their enforcement of their own rules is pitiful.

Rich

True. Usually the wronged party has to notify eBay a couple of times before they'll take it down. In eBay's defense, with so many transactions, they're not going to catch all of them. Buying anything used is caveat emptor.

#29 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

Sure you can do whatever you want with it, but you should be careful selling it to someone else. Like has been said before, DirecTV will not ativate these receivers on anyone else's account.

Think about it, if they did it could end up costing them a lot of money. You sold your HR20 to someone else. He activates it on his account. Two weeks later he calls DirecTV and tells them it's broken, so they send him a replacement for free (or $20 for shipping). They don't want the HR20 back so he sells it to his buddy. His buddy activates it and then 2 weeks later calls DirecTV and says it's broken. They send him a replacement for free. He sells it to his buddy ..........

When DirecTV says they don't want it back and you can do whatever you want with it they mean you can keep it, throw it away, recycle it, shoot it with a shotgun, launch it into space with a catapult, etc. They do not want you selling it to someone else, unless it is just to use for parts.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#30 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

While the "abandoned property" rule might apply to title, I think it is stretch to think that it applies to activation for service. True, the "abandonded" HR20 may now "belong" to you, and you can do whatever you want with it, DirecTV is under no obligation to activate it for anyone. The act of abandoning it says that they have declared the unit to be at "end of life" and of no significant value. What units they activate is, and always has been, a matter of their discretion. They could even refuse to activate receivers that have always been "owned" if they change hands. That they do activate them is a good thing, but I don't see any contractual obligation or implied warranty on their part to do so. When you purchase a "non-leased" device DirecTV is not a party to the transaction, and so there is no guarantee, express or implied, that is conveyed along with the device.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#31 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

Sure you can do whatever you want with it, but you should be careful selling it to someone else. Like has been said before, DirecTV will not ativate these receivers on anyone else's account.

Think about it, if they did it could end up costing them a lot of money. You sold your HR20 to someone else. He activates it on his account. Two weeks later he calls DirecTV and tells them it's broken, so they send him a replacement for free (or $20 for shipping). They don't want the HR20 back so he sells it to his buddy. His buddy activates it and then 2 weeks later calls DirecTV and says it's broken. They send him a replacement for free. He sells it to his buddy ..........

When DirecTV says they don't want it back and you can do whatever you want with it they mean you can keep it, throw it away, recycle it, shoot it with a shotgun, launch it into space with a catapult, etc. They do not want you selling it to someone else, unless it is just to use for parts.

Look, I explicitly asked about selling it, or giving it away. They said, it's yours to do what you want. I sold it on ebay, the buyer requested a new card and activated it, no muss no fuss.

Again to the O.P. sell it on ebay for a quick $100.
Panasonic 58PX60U

No OTA only Sat

All 3 receivers connected via DECA and bridged to 8-port Rosewill RC-410X Gigabit Switch.

#32 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

Actually I was very happy to hear they did not want it back, since I cracked it open the first month I had it and threw a 750GB drive in there. I sold it modified as well.
Panasonic 58PX60U

No OTA only Sat

#33 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

While the "abandoned property" rule might apply to title, I think it is stretch to think that it applies to activation for service. True, the "abandonded" HR20 may now "belong" to you, and you can do whatever you want with it, DirecTV is under no obligation to activate it for anyone. The act of abandoning it says that they have declared the unit to be at "end of life" and of no significant value. What units they activate is, and always has been, a matter of their discretion. They could even refuse to activate receivers that have always been "owned" if they change hands. That they do activate them is a good thing, but I don't see any contractual obligation or implied warranty on their part to do so. When you purchase a "non-leased" device DirecTV is not a party to the transaction, and so there is no guarantee, express or implied, that is conveyed along with the device.

If the HR20 is end of life, why did D* recently give it a software update? If it has no significant value, why can people sell it for $100?

The reason they don't want to activate previously leased units is for profit only. Not that that's a bad thing, as they are a for profit company, but let's not sugarcoat it.

D* doesn't want ANY owned units period. It wants to take the depreciation of its leased units as a tax write off. The more owned units there are out there, the less leased units there must be.

However, it's illegal to not provide an option to buy a box. So D* offers an outrageous price to buy the box, coupled with the policy of activating as few of them as it possibly can, and also by charging an additional service fee for each owned box that just so happens to match the lease fee. FYI, most of this behavior is illegal for cable providers, but the FCC has temporarily waived enforcement of these laws for DBS systems for now.

I totally agree that abandoned property laws does NOT apply to the service -- the previous service was cancelled and no longer exists. However, D* is dangerously flirting with the FCC. They have to be careful not to make them angry.

#34 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,915 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

It gets updates because it shares a lot of code with the other units. The H20 doesn't really get updates (other than maybe some small fixes) because it was quite different from the other devices, didn't support the new GUI etc. They don't give out R22s anymore, but those get updates as well.

#35 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

It gets updates because it shares a lot of code with the other units. The H20 doesn't really get updates (other than maybe some small fixes) because it was quite different from the other devices, didn't support the new GUI etc. They don't give out R22s anymore, but those get updates as well.

So all those boxes you mentioned are still supported as well, and it should be possible to activate any of them. Not only do they work, but most of them are still getting software updates. That's not EOL behavior at all -- in fact it's quite the opposite. It's not like the old EPG boxes, which simply won't work as designed in the near future.

Besides, the easy remedy for D* is to ask for all its boxes back regardless of age and not abandon any of them in the first place.

#36 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

So if somebody has a HR20 and wants to re-activate it they won't be charged a monthly lease fee?

#37 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,915 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:59 AM

It is possible to activate any of them, if they were not leased models that had already been tied to an account. The only ones that cannot be activated on a new account even owned are boxes that don't have an RID or EPG units.

Any active box will have a monthly fee except for the primary.

#38 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

So if somebody has a HR20 and wants to re-activate it they won't be charged a monthly lease fee?

They won't be charged a monthly lease fee, but they will be charged a monthly additional receiver fee.

#39 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

We had a Genie and client installed on 02/26/13. The tech took the HR20-700 and the R15. I asked about keeping the HR20 and using at my mother's house. (She has an HDTV in her bedroom, but is connected to an SD box). I was told they were retrieving them.

#40 OFFLINE   jimstick

jimstick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

We had a Genie and client installed on 02/26/13. The tech took the HR20-700 and the R15. I asked about keeping the HR20 and using at my mother's house. (She has an HDTV in her bedroom, but is connected to an SD box). I was told they were retrieving them.

He lied. D* does not want them back. What he did was take it and sold it to some other unsuspecting idiot that now has a new boat anchor.

It is true you can buy it, sell it, shoot it with shotgun, or shoot it into space, but what you CANNOT do is activate it on someone else's account.
Jim

Protected By... spam firewall...And...