Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DTV does NOT want HR20-700 back

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,962 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

He lied. D* does not want them back. What he did was take it and sold it to some other unsuspecting idiot that now has a new boat anchor.

Not true at all. Techs are supposed to recover all receivers regardless if DirecTV wants them or not. Once a receiver is swapped, that receiver now goes to the tech's inventory and must be returned to the warehouse where it would be disposed appropiately
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,024 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

They did not send a box for my first HR20-700 and I suspect they won't for my second.
As I understand it they won't even issue a card for the HR20's that are sold to second parties anymore.

#43 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

True. Usually the wronged party has to notify eBay a couple of times before they'll take it down. In eBay's defense, with so many transactions, they're not going to catch all of them. Buying anything used is caveat emptor.

Thing that gets me is that D* doesn't do anything about it either.

Rich

#44 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

Sure you can do whatever you want with it, but you should be careful selling it to someone else. Like has been said before, DirecTV will not ativate these receivers on anyone else's account.

Think about it, if they did it could end up costing them a lot of money. You sold your HR20 to someone else. He activates it on his account. Two weeks later he calls DirecTV and tells them it's broken, so they send him a replacement for free (or $20 for shipping). They don't want the HR20 back so he sells it to his buddy. His buddy activates it and then 2 weeks later calls DirecTV and says it's broken. They send him a replacement for free. He sells it to his buddy ..........

When DirecTV says they don't want it back and you can do whatever you want with it they mean you can keep it, throw it away, recycle it, shoot it with a shotgun, launch it into space with a catapult, etc. They do not want you selling it to someone else, unless it is just to use for parts.

I just sold a deactivated 20-700 and called ACT and made sure it could be activated. It was listed as owned and I was given the go-ahead to sell it. I did own it for several years. I don't think you can do that with a leased unit unless it was on your account in the first place and you just want to reactivate it.

Apparently, the sale and activation worked or you'd be hearing about it... :lol:

Rich

#45 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

While the "abandoned property" rule might apply to title, I think it is stretch to think that it applies to activation for service. True, the "abandonded" HR20 may now "belong" to you, and you can do whatever you want with it, DirecTV is under no obligation to activate it for anyone. The act of abandoning it says that they have declared the unit to be at "end of life" and of no significant value. What units they activate is, and always has been, a matter of their discretion. They could even refuse to activate receivers that have always been "owned" if they change hands. That they do activate them is a good thing, but I don't see any contractual obligation or implied warranty on their part to do so. When you purchase a "non-leased" device DirecTV is not a party to the transaction, and so there is no guarantee, express or implied, that is conveyed along with the device.

That makes sense. As usual.

Rich

#46 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

So if somebody has a HR20 and wants to re-activate it they won't be charged a monthly lease fee?

You still have to pay the mirroring fee. I think that's what you meant.

Rich

#47 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

They did not send a box for my first HR20-700 and I suspect they won't for my second.
As I understand it they won't even issue a card for the HR20's that are sold to second parties anymore.

They still issue the cards for the 20-700s. When I sold the 20-700 a couple weeks ago we both checked.

Rich

#48 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

My guess is the reason DirecTV doesn't want you to ship them back is it ends up costing them money.

Say it costs DirecTV $10 to ship an empty box to you, and then $20 to ship the box with the receiver back to them. Then they have to pay another $5 to ship it from their warehouse to the recycling company (cheaper cause they probably ship pallets at a time). That means they just spent $35 getting the receiver to the recycler. If the receycler only pays them $20 then they just did a bunch of work and ended up losing $15. That doesn't make sense so they just tell you to do whatever you want with it (meaning throw it away, recycle it, etc.).

However if you already have a tech at your house, that tech can take the receiver back with him to his warehouse. It then goes on a pallet with other dead receivers that get shipped back to DirecTV for refurbishing or recycling, maybe that costs them $5/unit to ship. Then they put that old receiver on another pallet that goes to the recycler and that costs them another $5. So now they just spent $10 to get the receiver to the recycler, and the recycler paid them $20, so they ended up making $10 off it.

Obviously the numbers here are probably not accurate, but the theory is. Plenty of companies do similar things. For example Monoprice, which a lot of us here use for cables etc. If you have an issue with one of their items a lot of the time they tell you just to throw it away or recycle it, and they send you a new one. That's because it would cost them more money to have you ship it back to them then it does to just send you a new one.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#49 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,024 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

Ok

They still issue the cards for the 20-700s. When I sold the 20-700 a couple weeks ago we both checked.

Rich

#50 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,231 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

An argument could be made that it is abandoned property and is now yours.

You've made a connection between DIRECTV not wanting you to send it back and "abandoned" that probably doesn't exist.

They're policy says they're supposed to recover the smart card in any event.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#51 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

You've made a connection between DIRECTV not wanting you to send it back and "abandoned" that probably doesn't exist.

I'm using the common law connection. What is your definition?
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#52 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

My guess is the reason DirecTV doesn't want you to ship them back is it ends up costing them money.

Say it costs DirecTV $10 to ship an empty box to you, and then $20 to ship the box with the receiver back to them. Then they have to pay another $5 to ship it from their warehouse to the recycling company (cheaper cause they probably ship pallets at a time). That means they just spent $35 getting the receiver to the recycler. If the receycler only pays them $20 then they just did a bunch of work and ended up losing $15. That doesn't make sense so they just tell you to do whatever you want with it (meaning throw it away, recycle it, etc.).

However if you already have a tech at your house, that tech can take the receiver back with him to his warehouse. It then goes on a pallet with other dead receivers that get shipped back to DirecTV for refurbishing or recycling, maybe that costs them $5/unit to ship. Then they put that old receiver on another pallet that goes to the recycler and that costs them another $5. So now they just spent $10 to get the receiver to the recycler, and the recycler paid them $20, so they ended up making $10 off it.

Obviously the numbers here are probably not accurate, but the theory is. Plenty of companies do similar things. For example Monoprice, which a lot of us here use for cables etc. If you have an issue with one of their items a lot of the time they tell you just to throw it away or recycle it, and they send you a new one. That's because it would cost them more money to have you ship it back to them then it does to just send you a new one.

I wonder if anyone at D* thinks as you do. I wouldn't be surprised if someone is running around their headquarters with a copy of your post saying, "Take a look at what this guy says, it really makes sense!" :lol:

Rich

#53 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

Ok

I have to admit I was really shocked. I was of the opinion that they would be classified as leased, but the sale was done and I've heard no complaints from the buyer, who is a member of this forum and would surely have said something.

Rich

#54 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

I've got a lot of access cards that I've notified them about and have not gotten any feedback about them. I've also got a 22-100 that I deactivated the beginning of last December and no recovery kit.

Rich

#55 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

I wonder if anyone at D* thinks as you do. I wouldn't be surprised if someone is running around their headquarters with a copy of your post saying, "Take a look at what this guy says, it really makes sense!" :lol:

Rich

I formerly worked for a defense contractor, and I can assure you the above scenario would NEVER happen there, LOL.

As for D*, I'll withhold judgment.

:eek2:

#56 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts
  • LocationCherokee Village, AR

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:50 AM

My old HR20 receiver is currently being used as a "step" at my back door. I recently had a stroke, and needed a "step" to safely exit my house. After looking around my garage for a suitable, steady, whatever, I decided my HR20 would be a perfect "step".

#57 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,231 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:16 AM

I'm using the common law connection. What is your definition?

What specific case are you citing as your "common law connection"?

Common law, by defintion, demands that a trial has been conducted and a verdict rendered (and not overturned). There's lots of common law regarding leasing that applies to the lessee, but we're talking about a "forfeiture" by the lessor and that's a whole different can of worms.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#58 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,231 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:25 AM

I've got a lot of access cards that I've notified them about and have not gotten any feedback about them. I've also got a 22-100 that I deactivated the beginning of last December and no recovery kit.

It is never a good idea to confuse DIRECTV policy with DIRECTV practice. It is a good idea to prepare for either situation and monitor the bill for a few months to be sure.

You know how they so love using the term "up to" in their terms and conditions, fee definitions and advertising claims.

#59 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

It is never a good idea to confuse DIRECTV policy with DIRECTV practice. It is a good idea to prepare for either situation and monitor the bill for a few months to be sure.

Have no fear of me trusting D*. That 21-200 can sit on a shelf forever as far as I'm concerned. As for the access cards: They don't take up much space and they can sit in the drawer in a bag forever too.

You know how they so love using the term "up to" in their terms and conditions, fee definitions and advertising claims.

I do.

Rich

#60 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

If it was leased, you can't do that. Just because they don't want it back does NOT mean it's yours and you can sell it. It can only be activated on your account.

So should the OP start charging them storage fees?  The statements "They don't want it back" and "You're not allowed to sell it or dispose of it because it isn't yours" seems to be at odds with one another.  If you don't own it, they need to retrieve it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...