Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

LOL, so this is what it's like to get old

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

Had some 'snowbirds' return from florida and they needed help with getting everything working. I've worked for them before, and it generally goes well

but not this time, :lol:

first, they left the power cord for their HR-23 in FL, and I usually have several on the truck, yesterday, however, really had to look. (got home and restocked)

managed to reconnect the HR-23 and lit up everything, TV ( a nice Sammy) was a little wonky waking up, screen illumination uniformity was bad, 3 vertical oval areas across the screen were noticeable. Couldn't tell if backlight or LCD problem. Unplugged set for a minute and plugged it in again and now it's fine.

Checked DirecTV settings, good signal strength, etc. and was careful NOT to tune any local channels till D* reset the DMA.

Called D*, explained to CSR, and she said 'no problem'. Waited a bit, nothing seemed to happen. Checked guide, still had FL DMA channels. She suggested RBR, that didn't seem right, but went along. Looked like it was going to be a while, so I let her go and waited it out.

Finally finished re-boot, and still no locals.

Called again, and yada, yada, yada, and this time, something seemed to take. Eventually had guide come up and had BOTH DMA locals.

I hate it when that happens.

Called back. This CSR seemed to really be lacking in enthusiasm for fixing this, and, while I am not accusing anybody of anything, the call was mysteriously cut off.

Called back and finally got everything squared away.

Then customer said they had left the 'good' IR headphones in FL, and had brought the cheap ones home because they are easier to use, but please connect them.

OK.

It was some off-brand thing, I expected not much, and received less. Tremendous amount of hum and interference on the headphones and a very faint hint of the dialogue I should be hearing. Noticed CFLs all over the room, so doused the lights, still no improvement. Shut off TV, well, that killed the sound, so connected headphones straight to D* box.

Still bad.

Almost ready to give up, and pulled all the connectors to reseat them, and noticed the mini plug on the base had 'crud' on it. Scraped it off, plugged it back in and all is well. I think the connect had became wet along the way and corroded, or maybe it came that way, will have to watch for that.

Then she wanted the new soundbar working 'just the way it did' in FL. Oooo, I didn't set up TV in FL, and asked her what she liked about set up. Well, she wasn't sure, it just worked they way they liked it.

Figured he used headphones, and she liked the soundbar, so started on that. Found a D* code that turned the soundbar on and off (yea!!), but code not get the D* remote to adjust volume when in D* mode.

Messed around with clearing remote, and recoding everything, still not working right. After everything else, was annoyed to be stymied by a soundbar.

Was getting late for next appt too. Called next stop and they were understanding.

Got back to soundbar, and still seemed like D* remote wasn't working right, but then remembered TV was a little funny about the picture when first turned on, so I unplugged the TV again, waited a little longer, and fired up everything and it all worked, finally.

Not sure what was up with that, didn't seem like TV could be messing up system. like that, but by then, I didn't care.

Went to go, and didn't want to charge too much, and the lady said, 'but you've been here so long', but really, that should not have been a 2 hour job.

Then she said, 'how about some fresh grapefruit? Picked just 2 days before from tree at her house in Florida.

I rarely turn down free eats, and with family members taking medicine that grapefruit reacts to, just never have grapefruit in the house. I happily took hers' though.

Had 2 for breakfast, OMG, sure were good! Didn't realize how much I missed them, and having 'earned' them the hard way made them all the better.

So, everything works, I'm fed, and except for not being able to have a grapefruit tree in my backyard this far north, all's well that end's well.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

you or them?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

Me.

I'm 55.

Still, I am younger than 2/3 of my clients.

#4 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,300 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

Sounds like Murphy's Law is still in full effect.

Having teched for elderly fam and friends, I can relate.

Great post - made my day! :D

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

Protected By... spam firewall...And...