Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How does E* receive the Sirius music channels?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

I have two cars with Sirius/XM - a 2010 Honda Odyssey and a 2012 Ford Focus. When sitting in the driveway, cars next to each other, same channel on both, the Focus sounds thin and garbled comared to the Odyssey.

This makes me suspect the quality of the receiver in the vehicles are the determining factor. I've heard talk shows where I couldn't understand what was being said (in the Focus).

Another tidbit...the Focus drops signals MUCH more than the Odyssey. When I go under the freeway overpass near home, the Odyssey doesn't miss a beat, but the Focus drops every time.

However, the Focus buffers up to 12 songs for replay...except the feature is a pain to get to...

Is it possible that one car has Sirius and the other XM? I know my XM radio suffers from dropouts a lot more than the Sirius radio in the same car. XM comes from three geosynchronous satellites while Sirius has three satellites that are not in a true geosynchronous orbit.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

I have two cars with Sirius/XM - a 2010 Honda Odyssey and a 2012 Ford Focus. When sitting in the driveway, cars next to each other, same channel on both, the Focus sounds thin and garbled comared to the Odyssey.

This makes me suspect the quality of the receiver in the vehicles are the determining factor. I've heard talk shows where I couldn't understand what was being said (in the Focus).

Another tidbit...the Focus drops signals MUCH more than the Odyssey. When I go under the freeway overpass near home, the Odyssey doesn't miss a beat, but the Focus drops every time.

However, the Focus buffers up to 12 songs for replay...except the feature is a pain to get to...

BINGO! I have that feature on the MKZ. I suspected that that feature may "dumb down" the digital resolution. I'd give up that feature if it meant that the bit rate would increase.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#23 OFFLINE   homeskillet

homeskillet

Icon

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

SiriusXM broadcasts with limited bandwidth availability, typically audio stations will transmit around 32-41 kbps (some are in mono even) and the talk stations are less. I know the traffic stations are around 8 kbps. 

When lots of play by play sports are going on, they steal bandwidth from each station to make up the difference to add the sports broadcasts. 

Dish Network receives the Sirius audio feed directly from SiriusXM via a direct fiber connection. 

#24 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

SiriusXM broadcasts with limited bandwidth availability, typically audio stations will transmit around 32-41 kbps (some are in mono even) and the talk stations are less. I know the traffic stations are around 8 kbps. 

When lots of play by play sports are going on, they steal bandwidth from each station to make up the difference to add the sports broadcasts. 

Dish Network receives the Sirius audio feed directly from SiriusXM via a direct fiber connection. 

Would that be at the bitrates you mentioned above, or a higher rate?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#25 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,189 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:49 AM

Far higher.  I know the internet feeds are AT LEAST 128Kbps.  I can't remember the exact number.

#26 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:14 AM

My favorite IP radio feeds are 256Kbps.

spam firewall