Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

SL5 Installation Trouble with 2nd receiver

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Latviaman

Latviaman

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

Installing 2-H24 from a SL5 Dish. R6 cables are direct run from the sl5 to the receiver. the 2nd receiver does have a barrel connect but it is the 3GHz connector. The issue is with the 2nd receiver.
1) Receiver A is about a 100 ft. run no issues and tranponders on the 101 satellite are all in the 90's the other satellites look good also
2) When installing the 2nd the odd transponders on the 101 satellite go to 0, and the satellite does not pick-up any channels
3) If i disconnect receiver A, receiver B works fine.
4) So maybe a bad cable, not very for us to test, sl5 if hanging off a concrete wall 30 feet in the air. We cant have directv to test no NDA with them yet.
Directv tech support is a joke I basically get hung up on or transferred to modem tone. Any help would be appreiciated. Thanks

Edited by Latviaman, 03 April 2013 - 09:18 AM.
Put wrong receiver type in original post

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

So if this is an SWM dish (hopefully it is, since the H25 won't work with non SWM) where's the power inserter?

#3 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

H25 are SWM only, are you using an SL5 with SWM module or do you have a SWM5 LNB? Where is the power supply if you indeed have a SWM setup?

#4 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

Also why do you need a NDA with DirecTV to have them come out?

#5 OFFLINE   Latviaman

Latviaman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

SORRY NOT A H25 (I have a H24) I work for a large company and we just started installing the SL5 Dish. Are company does not let anyone on site with out (NDA) We will try do get one signed soon.

#6 OFFLINE   Latviaman

Latviaman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

Okay a little more troubleshooting today.
I went to receiver B and disconnected HDMI cable on HD TV. I installed a old Non HD TV with RCA jacks and the receiver looks good. All transponders look good. All above 95 on the 101 satellite good picture on tv.
As soon I move RCA to HD TV, the odd transponders go to zero.
I am going to try a new HDMI cable and possibly a component cable. Thanks for the replies.

#7 OFFLINE   Latviaman

Latviaman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

Now I think the trouble is with the LNB.
I have swapped receiver same issue, I now have the issue on both receivers (Losing odd transponders on 101 sat) If I disconnect either receiver the other receiver works fine. Any thoughts?

#8 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

I don't think we ever got confirmation. Is this a SWM LNB, or a standard LNB (how many coax ports are on the LNB)?

You say that the RG6 goes from the LNB straight to the receiver, that leads me to believe that you have a standard LNB with 4 coax ports on it. If that is the case then you need to have BBC's installed on your receivers.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#9 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Installing 2-H24 from a SL5 Dish. R6 cables are direct run from the sl5 to the receiver. the 2nd receiver does have a barrel connect but it is the 3GHz connector. The issue is with the 2nd receiver.
1) Receiver A is about a 100 ft. run no issues and tranponders on the 101 satellite are all in the 90's the other satellites look good also
2) When installing the 2nd the odd transponders on the 101 satellite go to 0, and the satellite does not pick-up any channels
3) If i disconnect receiver A, receiver B works fine.
4) So maybe a bad cable, not very for us to test, sl5 if hanging off a concrete wall 30 feet in the air. We cant have directv to test no NDA with them yet.
Directv tech support is a joke I basically get hung up on or transferred to modem tone. Any help would be appreiciated. Thanks

Cables are run from the sl5...
He doesn't have a swm unless he has a swm8.

#10 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

Cables are run from the sl5...
He doesn't have a swm unless he has a swm8.

That's how I take it too, but we should get verification.

He could have a SWM LNB with a splitter and consider that being the cables run straight to the receiver since there is no multi-switch.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#11 OFFLINE   Latviaman

Latviaman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

I believe I have a standard LNB there are 4 coax connectors at the LNB. We are running 2 coax cable from the LNB to the H24 location. (Only one is being used since it is a H24)
BeerStalker: There is BBC connected to each receiver.
There is not a multi switch at this time (Direct run from LNB to receiver)

The packing slip for the dish and receiver says:
KaKu Slimline dish W/SL5 LNB
H24-700

#12 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

Have you tried swapping the cables at the lnb?

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,703 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

also have you tried new BBCs?
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:35 PM

I believe I have a standard LNB there are 4 coax connectors at the LNB. We are running 2 coax cable from the LNB to the H24 location. (Only one is being used since it is a H24)
BeerStalker: There is BBC connected to each receiver.
There is not a multi switch at this time (Direct run from LNB to receiver)

The packing slip for the dish and receiver says:
KaKu Slimline dish W/SL5 LNB
H24-700

So one coax is going from LNB output directly to one receiver, and the second coax is going from a second LNB output directly to the second receiver. With only one receiver connected, everything is okay, but with both receivers connected you are losing odd transponders. You have swapped the two receivers, and the same symptoms remain. Did I get all that correct?

Make sure both coax are actually going all the way to the connections on the LNB, and that someone hasn't actually taken one of the outputs and run it through a splitter.

Then, move the two coax to the other two outputs on the LNB and see if the symptoms remain the same or change. You could actually go through all combinations of the four outputs (Rcvr 1 to output 1 & Rcvr 2 to output 2, Rcvr 1 to output 1 and rcvr 2 to output 3, rcvr 1 to output 1 and rcvr 2 to output 4, rcvr 1 to output 2 & rcvr 2 to output 3, 2 and 4, then 3 & 4).

Also, try the two receivers tuned to the same channel, and try them tuned to different channels. Use the test channels in the 9500 series. Put one receiver on channel 9501 and the other on 9502, then work your way through all of those combinations.

#15 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,243 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:31 AM

Okay a little more troubleshooting today.
I went to receiver B and disconnected HDMI cable on HD TV. I installed a old Non HD TV with RCA jacks and the receiver looks good. All transponders look good. All above 95 on the 101 satellite good picture on tv.
As soon I move RCA to HD TV, the odd transponders go to zero.
I am going to try a new HDMI cable and possibly a component cable. Thanks for the replies.

If the old tv used a two prong power plug and the flat screen uses a three prong power plug, thats a pretty good indication that you have a hot ground. Either in the building wiring, the power strip or the tv itself.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#16 OFFLINE   Latviaman

Latviaman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

So one coax is going from LNB output directly to one receiver, and the second coax is going from a second LNB output directly to the second receiver. With only one receiver connected, everything is okay, but with both receivers connected you are losing odd transponders. You have swapped the two receivers, and the same symptoms remain. Did I get all that correct?

Make sure both coax are actually going all the way to the connections on the LNB, and that someone hasn't actually taken one of the outputs and run it through a splitter.

Then, move the two coax to the other two outputs on the LNB and see if the symptoms remain the same or change. You could actually go through all combinations of the four outputs (Rcvr 1 to output 1 & Rcvr 2 to output 2, Rcvr 1 to output 1 and rcvr 2 to output 3, rcvr 1 to output 1 and rcvr 2 to output 4, rcvr 1 to output 2 & rcvr 2 to output 3, 2 and 4, then 3 & 4).

Also, try the two receivers tuned to the same channel, and try them tuned to different channels. Use the test channels in the 9500 series. Put one receiver on channel 9501 and the other on 9502, then work your way through all of those combinations.

Carl6: First & 2nd Paragraph is correct except I have 2 coax to each receiver. We ran two NEW coax to each receiver from the LNB,
3rd Paragraph I have swapped the coax to different combo's I just dont know which output I am using to which receiver. The dish on the side of 66 feet concrete wall 30' in the air. We need a boom to access. PITA to get to. I have tested with the same channel and diffent channels same issue. I havent tried the 9501 or 9502 channels I don't know what those are.

#17 OFFLINE   Latviaman

Latviaman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

If the old tv used a two prong power plug and the flat screen uses a three prong power plug, thats a pretty good indication that you have a hot ground. Either in the building wiring, the power strip or the tv itself.

Yes the old TV is a two prong and the new one is a 3 prong. Not sure how this pertains to the directv issue.

#18 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

Carl6: First & 2nd Paragraph is correct except I have 2 coax to each receiver. We ran two NEW coax to each receiver from the LNB,
3rd Paragraph I have swapped the coax to different combo's I just dont know which output I am using to which receiver. The dish on the side of 66 feet concrete wall 30' in the air. We need a boom to access. PITA to get to. I have tested with the same channel and diffent channels same issue. I havent tried the 9501 or 9502 channels I don't know what those are.

You've been plenty thorough in your tests. My guess is either one of the receivers or the LNB itself. You've pretty well ruled out the other possibilities. Given the difficulty in accessing the LNB, I would just get a replacement and put it in and hopefully be done with it. If that doesn't resolve the problem, then you've got a spare LNB on the shelf.

That you are losing the odd transponders is really puzzling, typically if you lose one or the other it would be the even (due to voltage drop to the LNB). That does tend to point to the LNB, but I just can't think of a reasonable explanation as to why the second receiver is a variable in this.

Here is an FAQ on dishes, and has a complete explanation of how the stack plan works (which gets into the odd/even question):
http://hr20.dbstalk....d Cable FAQ.pdf

#19 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,038 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

Yes the old TV is a two prong and the new one is a 3 prong. Not sure how this pertains to the directv issue.

Anyway, if a "hot ground" is the cause;

Here's the official DIRECTV field testing procedure for it if its of any help.

Attached Files

#20 OFFLINE   Latviaman

Latviaman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

Thank You all for your replies. I am at a standstill for a couple of weeks. The person who has access to the dish is gone for a couple of weeks. I am too scared to get on 32 foot extension ladder and hang off the side of a building. So I will wait for his return. Upon his return I will try a different LNB and if that does not work, I will try one coax at a time. The puzzling part is why does the H24 look good when receiver B is hooked up to the old tv. HoTat2 did mention hot ground, may have to look into that. Thanks again when I do find the solution, I will post with my findings.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...