Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

SL5 Installation Trouble with 2nd receiver

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:14 AM

If you stop by the hardware store and pick up a three prong to two prong plug adapter you likely won't need to waste anymore time on a ladder.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,789 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

You're suggesting there's a hot ground somewhere, so why are you saying he should use a cheater plug so he can just ignore a potentially hazardous situation? He should get an electrician to investigate where the hot ground is and fix it, not cover it up just to get things working.

If you "just want to get things working", buy a GFCI adapter, not a two prong to three prong cheater plug. If it is the TV that has the ground fault and you plug it in with a cheater plug, when you touch that TV you become the path to ground. This could be pretty bad if for example you're holding the metal end of the HDMI cable while plugging it into the back of the TV, and your other hand is touching ground, such as a metal beam. Could be the last thing you ever do if enough current passes through your heart.

#23 OFFLINE   Latviaman

Latviaman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!
Gentleman thank you for all your help. The issue was with a power strip, I would of never thought. HoTat2 and samrs got me thinking. ( I didn't finish reading samrs post, the first time, he mention the power strip) I removed the powerstrip and everything came up, put the power stip back in, and everthing crapped out again. Thanks again.

#24 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

You're suggesting there's a hot ground somewhere, so why are you saying he should use a cheater plug so he can just ignore a potentially hazardous situation? He should get an electrician to investigate where the hot ground is and fix it, not cover it up just to get things working.

If you "just want to get things working", buy a GFCI adapter, not a two prong to three prong cheater plug. If it is the TV that has the ground fault and you plug it in with a cheater plug, when you touch that TV you become the path to ground. This could be pretty bad if for example you're holding the metal end of the HDMI cable while plugging it into the back of the TV, and your other hand is touching ground, such as a metal beam. Could be the last thing you ever do if enough current passes through your heart.

I use the plug adapters to prove to the homeowner where the problem lies so they can get an electrician to resolve the issue. The chances of ME ever getting shocked are slim to none, I have a volt ohm meter and voltage sniffer, I use them. I really like reading your posts.

Power strips should always be suspect especially if they look really bad. I've had a few that provided the same symptoms over the years.

One power strip was so bad it put 120 volts on the shield. The first Tech out did all the work got shocked and left. I caught the job on the rebound figured it out in about 20 minutes and got paid.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

Protected By... spam firewall...And...