Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv dropped regional sports network

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shoelessjoe

shoelessjoe

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:33 AM

My 83-year old father lives in Waynesboro, PA and has been an Orioles fan for years. He spends a lot of time watching the games on Directv. That was until this year. Apparently Directv has dropped MASN from his regional sports networks.

When I called DIrectv to find out why he wasn't getting MASN, I was told that that was not his regional sports network and that Pittsburgh ROOt was. Are you kidding me? Nevermind that Pittsburgh is about 200 miles away and some Baltimore locals can be picked up from his house with a good outdoor antenna. Waynesboro is a Baltimore sports town - at least all the people he hangs out with.

Needless to say, I am looking into other options. I think he has been a Directv subscriber since 1998. To add insult to injury, I was told that if he added Extra Innings for $200 he could get his regional sports network. I looked into getting MLB.TV (which is 19.99 a month) for him too, but guess what? MASN games are blacked out because MASN (the network Directv says is not his regional network) is considered the Orioles territory!

Is there anything that can be done? I certainly don't want to leave Directv, but we might be forced to do so. I pay for his Directv now, but adding another $200 is not in my budget.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 941 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:37 AM

Directv doesn't determine who gets what rsn, that's up to the teams. Apparently the territories have changed since last year.

#3 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:22 AM

www.directv.com/rsn

The RSN look up tool says that Comcast Sportsnet Mid Atlantic Ch 642
and Root Sports Pittsburgh ch 659 are your RSNs.

There is nothing you can do except subscribe to sports pack, however the games you are looking to see on MASN will be blacked out.

maps of RSN areas
http://www.mydish.com/support/rsn-maps

#4 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,286 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

It seems that at least Root Pittsburgh's area is being redefined this year. Suddenly, state lines make a difference?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#5 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

Professional sports are SO overrated. Tell your Dad to take up fishing, gardening, or something.......

#6 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

That's the 2nd post I've seen about blackouts of Roots Sports Pittsburgh. Something must have changed this year. I'd suggest contacting Roots Sports and MASN to see if they have any more info on what is new this year regarding this blackout issue. I am near Lancaster and we still get CSN DC, MASN, and Roots Sports Pittsburgh as our RSNs.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#7 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,286 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

Professional sports are SO overrated. Tell your Dad to take up fishing, gardening, or something.......

That nighttime gardening is so rewarding.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#8 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

Needless to say, I am looking into other options. I think he has been a Directv subscriber since 1998. To add insult to injury, I was told that if he added Extra Innings for $200 he could get his regional sports network. I looked into getting MLB.TV (which is 19.99 a month) for him too, but guess what? MASN games are blacked out because MASN (the network Directv says is not his regional network) is considered the Orioles territory!

Is there anything that can be done? I certainly don't want to leave Directv, but we might be forced to do so. I pay for his Directv now, but adding another $200 is not in my budget.

You can call and ask to get the Extra Innings package at a cheaper price and it might work. I did that and got it for $140 but I have been a previous subscriber to that package.

#9 OFFLINE   shoelessjoe

shoelessjoe

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

My dad is a diabetic and he has had a heart attack and stroke with a little dementia thrown in. I understand and agree with your point, but this was one thing he looked forward to. I am going to check the local cable system to see if something can be arranged. I can't see paying an extra $200 so he can watch something he should have been getting in the first place with the package.

I just went online with his account and in the channel lineup, it includes MASN. However when I do a search the Regional Sports Network with his zip code it doesn't. :confused:

Edited by shoelessjoe, 04 April 2013 - 09:06 AM.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

#10 OFFLINE   shoelessjoe

shoelessjoe

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

It seems that at least Root Pittsburgh's area is being redefined this year. Suddenly, state lines make a difference?

I guess somehow MLB thinks if he is forced to watch Pirates games that he will somehow suddenly become a Pirates fan ( a team with 15+ straight losing seasons)?:lol:

Mark Twain

#11 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

Does your father have a grandfathered DirecTV Package?

If not, ask him about the other channels he watches regularly and see if he could get a lower package. If all he really wants is the Orioles, I would find Choice with Sports Pack and Extra Innings to be the best deal for him.

Before you try anything, I would call and threaten to cancel and remain certain that the retention reps know about the lack of MASN and your financial restraints as the specific reasons why. If you stay persistent enough, they would give you the Sports Pack for a reduced rate and maybe even the $140 MLBEI deal.

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

My dad is a diabetic and he has had a heart attack and stroke with a little dementia thrown in. I understand and agree with your point, but this was one thing he looked forward to. I am going to check the local cable system to see if something can be arranged. I can't see paying an extra $200 so he can watch something he should have been getting in the first place with the package.

I just went online with his account and in the channel lineup, it includes MASN. However when I do a search the Regional Sports Network with his zip code it doesn't. :confused:

This statement makes no sense....if MLB changed the rules...then he shouldnt be getting it anymore anyway, and no provider can offer it to him because obviously has to do with geography....and since the change was just made, I'm sure they dont have everything updated on line on their website yet...I think a lot of people were taken by surprise by this change.

#13 OFFLINE   tomgossert

tomgossert

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

I live in Waynesboro as well, I noticed the change in Feburary when Spring Training games were blacked out. I contacted MASN, they admitted they were the ones who dropped Franklin County as a whole not DirecTv. Its either Comcast due to the headend being in Cumberland County (Shippensburg) or MLB Extra Innings/mlb.tv for MASN.

#14 OFFLINE   shoelessjoe

shoelessjoe

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

This statement makes no sense....if MLB changed the rules...then he shouldnt be getting it anymore anyway, and no provider can offer it to him because obviously has to do with geography....and since the change was just made, I'm sure they dont have everything updated on line on their website yet...I think a lot of people were taken by surprise by this change.

If you look on the map, Baltimore a lot closer than Pittsburgh to Waynesboro. Waynesboro is on the Maryland border and Pittsburgh is about 200 miles away. I find it hard to believe that the local cable companies would have Pittsburgh as their local affiliate when in fact the Orioles about an hour's drive away and have been traditionally has had a fan base in Waynesboro. There is something else at play here with directv IMO.

Mark Twain

#15 OFFLINE   shoelessjoe

shoelessjoe

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

I live in Waynesboro as well, I noticed the change in Feburary when Spring Training games were blacked out. I contacted MASN, they admitted they were the ones who dropped Franklin County as a whole not DirecTv. Its either Comcast due to the headend being in Cumberland County (Shippensburg) or MLB Extra Innings/mlb.tv for MASN.

Does Comcast in Waynesboro have MASN? I live in North Carolina and get it here. That is why I find it weird that he can't get it when I live all the way down here and I am considered to be in the Orioles territory and get MASN and can see all the games if I wanted.

Mark Twain

#16 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

That nighttime gardening is so rewarding.

It is for raiding your neighbor's garden
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#17 OFFLINE   tomgossert

tomgossert

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Yes, Comcast does carry MASN and MASN2 in Waynesboro, channels 50 and 55 maybe. 844 and 845 for HD. Its a quirk that they carry it, they should black it out for this area but it has something to do with the headend being in Shippensburg in Cumberland County which is MASN territory.

#18 OFFLINE   shoelessjoe

shoelessjoe

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

Yes, Comcast does carry MASN and MASN2 in Waynesboro, channels 50 and 55 maybe. 844 and 845 for HD. Its a quirk that they carry it, they should black it out for this area but it has something to do with the headend being in Shippensburg in Cumberland County which is MASN territory.

That might be the route I have to take for him then. Directv probably lost him as a customer (about $100/month - he has HBO/Cinemax combo too - that is why I cannot afford any more) if I can get it cheaper than that with Comcast. I tried looking for programming info on the internet for Comcast, but have not found it yet to get pricing. I really never thought I'd see the day that we would go back to cable. He liked Directv, but it's all about programming and cost.

Mark Twain

#19 OFFLINE   John R. Metzger

John R. Metzger

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

The DirecTV website indicates that:

The 17628 ZIP Code is in the home team territory for the following pro teams. With HD Access select channels and teams available in HD are noted below:
Posted Image MASNHD640

Mid-Atlantic Sports Network HDPosted Image
  • Nationals
  • Orioles

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image CSNHD642

Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic HDPosted Image
  • Washington Capitals

http://cdn.directv.c...all_premier.png
http://www.directv.c...s_lo_maximo.png

http://sports.direct...ign/RTPT_HD.gif RTPTHD659

ROOT Sports Pittsburghhttp://cdn.directv.com/images/global/lightbox/icon_hd_channel.png
  • Pirates
  • Pittsburgh Penguins

http://cdn.directv.c...all_premier.png
http://www.directv.c...s_lo_maximo.png

#20 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

That might be the route I have to take for him then. Directv probably lost him as a customer (about $100/month - he has HBO/Cinemax combo too - that is why I cannot afford any more) if I can get it cheaper than that with Comcast. I tried looking for programming info on the internet for Comcast, but have not found it yet to get pricing. I really never thought I'd see the day that we would go back to cable. He liked Directv, but it's all about programming and cost.

I think you might be surprised. With spending that much monthly and probably hardly ever asking for a freebe, you might very easily be able to get them to give you a $200 retention credit for MLB EI. Call DirecTV and say cancel at the voice prompt to get to Retention to try. I wouldn't leave without trying. It makes a huge difference if the bill is paid on time. Let us know.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

spam firewall