Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv dropped regional sports network

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   shoelessjoe

shoelessjoe

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

I think you might be surprised. With spending that much monthly and probably hardly ever asking for a freebe, you might very easily be able to get them to give you a $200 retention credit for MLB EI. Call DirecTV and say cancel at the voice prompt to get to Retention to try. I wouldn't leave without trying. It makes a huge difference if the bill is paid on time. Let us know.

I took your advise and just called them. They offered MLB for $39.99/month or $199.00 up front. The person on the phone was nice but offered little help. I'm going to call Comcast and see what they have to offer. I'll either go with them or go w/o baseball this season. I won't pay $200 for something that should be included. We have gotten freebees in the past - most recently, free Stars for 6 months last august. It was offered to me when they billed me for HD erroneously as I had automatic bill pay, etc.

Edited by shoelessjoe, 04 April 2013 - 01:50 PM.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

I took your advise and just called them. They offered MLB for $39.99/month or $199.00 up front. The person on the phone was nice but offered little help. I'm going to call Comcast and see what they have to offer. I'll either go with them or go w/o baseball this season. I won't pay $200 for something that should be included. We have gotten freebees in the past - most recently, free Stars for 6 months last august.

Did you talk to a regular CSR or someone in retention? In this case, retention is exactly who you want. You are looking to leave over this and they are authorized to offer you more then normal to stay. Sounds like it was not someone from retention unless maybe the payment history is not that great on the account. $100 a month with a good payment history and little credits should get you this one time $200 credit.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#23 OFFLINE   shoelessjoe

shoelessjoe

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

Did you talk to a regular CSR or someone in retention? In this case, retention is exactly who you want. You are looking to leave over this and they are authorized to offer you more then normal to stay. Sounds like it was not someone from retention unless maybe the payment history is not that great on the account. $100 a month with a good payment history and little credits should get you this one time $200 credit.

My payment history is perfect as I have automatic billing. I did not talk with retention as I am not sure I want to cancel Directv. I am not a huge fan of Comcast. The only reason I'm thinking about it is because of MASN. We may just make a sacrifice and forget about MASN.

As far as credits, I have a $10 HD credit fro automatic billing and currently am getting HBO/Cinemax credit (Cinemax/HBO - same price as one for 3 months).

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

#24 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

My payment history is perfect as I have automatic billing. I did not talk with retention as I am not sure I want to cancel Directv. I am not a huge fan of Comcast. The only reason I'm thinking about it is because of MASN. We may just make a sacrifice and forget about MASN.

As far as credits, I have a $10 HD credit fro automatic billing and currently am getting HBO/Cinemax credit (Cinemax/HBO - same price as one for 3 months).

You dont have to even threaten to cancel but you do need to talk to retention. Just let them know this is for your dad and that you will have to look for options on how to get the O's games this season. If they are stiff at first I would just say that I am gonna shop around to some other providers and see what kind of a deal you can get but dont say your leaving DirecTV. I would also let them know that you heard a cable co in the area offers the station in their channel lineup but that you dont want to leave DirecTV.

You dont have to threaten to leave to get something from them but if you want a $200 credit I would just let them know, look I dont want to leave but my dad has to have the O's game. Based on your service and great payment record can I get a one time $200 credit to offset MLB EI for this season? It can't hurt. Your wasting your time with a regular CSR though. Also saying cancel at the voice prompt does not cancel service it just sends you to retention.
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#25 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

I think you're missing something here. Even though MASN is not his "home RSN" anymore, by subscribing to sports pack he should receive MASN and Orioles games, according to John Metzgar's post above. Much cheaper than Extra Innings, which wouldnt get you the games anyways if his town is claimed by the Orioles. Worth a try at least.

#26 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

The DirecTV website indicates that:

The 17628 ZIP Code is in the home team territory for the following pro teams. With HD Access select channels and teams available in HD are noted below:
Posted Image MASNHD640

Mid-Atlantic Sports Network HDPosted Image

• Nationals
  • Orioles

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image CSNHD642

Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic HDPosted Image
  • Washington Capitals

http://cdn.directv.c...all_premier.png
http://www.directv.c...s_lo_maximo.png

http://sports.direct...ign/RTPT_HD.gif RTPTHD659

ROOT Sports Pittsburghhttp://cdn.directv.com/images/global/lightbox/icon_hd_channel.png
  • Pirates
  • Pittsburgh Penguins

I think you're missing something here. Even though MASN is not his "home RSN" anymore, by subscribing to sports pack he should receive MASN and Orioles games, according to John Metzgar's post above. Much cheaper than Extra Innings, which wouldnt get you the games anyways if his town is claimed by the Orioles. Worth a try at least.

Wrong ZIP. Try 17268.

#27 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 998 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

The DirecTV website indicates that:

The 17628 ZIP Code is in the home team territory for the following pro teams. With HD Access select channels and teams available in HD are noted below:
Posted Image MASNHD640

Mid-Atlantic Sports Network HDPosted Image

• Nationals
  • Orioles

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image CSNHD642

Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic HDPosted Image
  • Washington Capitals

http://sports.direct...ign/RTPT_HD.gif RTPTHD659

ROOT Sports Pittsburghhttp://cdn.directv.com/images/global/lightbox/icon_hd_channel.png
  • Pirates
  • Pittsburgh Penguins

When I put 17268 into the rsn lookup, it doesn't show MASN as available at all.

#28 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 998 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

He used the wrong zip. Besides, the sports pack has nothing to do with it.

#29 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

He used the wrong zip. Besides, the sports pack has nothing to do with it.

It certainly does, just ask people in Las Vegas or Iowa that are claimed by 4 or more teams, they get one RSN as their "home" RSN, but if they subscribe to the Sports Pack they get access to any of those other teams without paying for Extra Innings. Recently that has changed for some people, such as the person in the "no more pirates" thread, but by and large if you're "claimed" by a team you can get them through your regular RSN or Sportspack.

#30 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

MLB Extra Innings is in a free preview right now. If you can't get the Orioles games now during the free preview, then you won't get them when you subscribe.

#31 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

MLB Extra Innings is in a free preview right now. If you can't get the Orioles games now during the free preview, then you won't get them when you subscribe.

Good call. If he doesn't get channel 640 now, that means he doesn't get it as his RSN or through EI, which means he's in Bug Selig's gray area of death.

#32 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

I was wondering that. That seems odd to me. He should enter his zip into the MLB.TV tool and see what it says is the local teams for him.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#33 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

Good call. If he doesn't get channel 640 now, that means he doesn't get it as his RSN or through EI, which means he's in Bug Selig's gray area of death.

I would check home and away broadcasts in the 700s.

I was wondering that. That seems odd to me. He should enter his zip into the MLB.TV tool and see what it says is the local teams for him.

Blacked out according to the initial post.

#34 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

It certainly does, just ask people in Las Vegas or Iowa that are claimed by 4 or more teams, they get one RSN as their "home" RSN, but if they subscribe to the Sports Pack they get access to any of those other teams without paying for Extra Innings. Recently that has changed for some people, such as the person in the "no more pirates" thread, but by and large if you're "claimed" by a team you can get them through your regular RSN or Sportspack.

Actually, Las Vegas has it pretty good. ALL of the RSN's below are included in choice and above. By adding sports pack, you only get Diamondbacks games on FSN Arizona (No Phoenix Suns or Coyotes).

As a baseball fan, unless you are specifically a fan of a team that is not one of the 5 listed below, you don't even need EI and you have a ton of games every day + ESPN,ESPN2, MLB Net. WGN and TBS.

TWCD
Time Warner Cable Deportes
Los Angeles Lakers

TWCSN
Time Warner Cable SportsNet
Los Angeles Lakers

FSWHD
FS West HD
Angels
Los Angeles Kings

PT
Prime Ticket
Anaheim Ducks
Dodgers
Los Angeles Clippers

FSSD
FS San Diego
Padres

CSNBHD
Comcast SportsNet Bay Area HD
Giants
Golden State Warriors

CSCA
Comcast SportsNet California HD
Athletics
Sacramento Kings

#35 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

Actually, Las Vegas has it pretty good. ALL of the RSN's below are included in choice and above. By adding sports pack, you only get Diamondbacks games on FSN Arizona (No Phoenix Suns or Coyotes).

As a baseball fan, unless you are specifically a fan of a team that is not one of the 5 listed below, you don't even need EI and you have a ton of games every day + ESPN,ESPN2, MLB Net. WGN and TBS.

You lose out if the games are on OTA local (not to Vegas) channels. In those cases, you're blacked out of out of market broadcasts.

#36 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:29 PM

You lose out if the games are on OTA local (not to Vegas) channels. In those cases, you're blacked out of out of market broadcasts.

That's true, but there's so few OTA games these days. Angels, A's and Padres are RSN only. Dodgers are going RSN only next year. Giants are down to like 15 games OTA per year, and I bet some of those are against San Diego or LA (or Arizona) which would be available locally on their RSN's.

My point was folks who live in Las Vegas get a lot more games "included" in the Choice type package than someone who lives in a one-team or two-team market.

Of course, if DirecTV decides to just stop offering a RSN there, like what happened to the pirates fan, that would suck.

#37 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 998 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

It does in some areas, this isn't one of them.

#38 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

Adding the Sports Pack or going from Choice to Xtra (in very select areas) just broadens your radius for local teams. Extra Innings isn't going to help with a team if they're considered local. Same is said with Houston fans trying to watch the Astro's or the Rockets. Comcrap owns the exclusive rights and even if comcrap isn't offered where you live, you can't watch the games even with NBA LP.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#39 OFFLINE   shoelessjoe

shoelessjoe

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

TWCD
Los Angeles Lakers

TWCSN
Los Angeles Lakers

FSWHD
FS West HD
Angels
Los Angeles Kings

PT
Prime Ticket
Anaheim Ducks
Dodgers
Los Angeles Clippers

FSSD
FS San Diego
Padres

CSNBHD
Giants
Golden State Warriors

CSCA
Athletics
Sacramento Kings

So...you are saying my dad should move to Vegas?:confused:

Mark Twain

#40 OFFLINE   spartacvs

spartacvs

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

TWCD
Los Angeles Lakers

TWCSN
Los Angeles Lakers

FSWHD
FS West HD
Angels
Los Angeles Kings

PT
Prime Ticket
Anaheim Ducks
Dodgers
Los Angeles Clippers

FSSD
FS San Diego
Padres

CSNBHD
Giants
Golden State Warriors

CSCA
Athletics
Sacramento Kings

Yup I have all those channels in Choice Extra Classic but too bad my team is St. Louis Cardinals so I have to get MLB.TV this year.

spam firewall