Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Any recommendations on HDMI cables?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

I need to purchase some good HDMI cables for our upcoming home theater. How good are Bluerigger cables? I'm looking at around 35 feet, and I noticed that Bluerigger sells 35. I don't think 25 will be long enough for what I'm looking for.
Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

www.MonoPrice.com
  • Datagg likes this

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

^^^ What he said.
  • Datagg likes this

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

I'll 3rd that...I havent bought cables from anywhere else for literally 5 years.
  • Datagg likes this

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

watch Fry's for deal of the week

#6 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

i got a 50'er w/ built in amplifier from monoprice... works perfectly! and it was really priced to sell!!

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#7 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

Any suggestions on which brand?

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

any brand is OK if the cable don't degradate signal

#9 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

The beauty if HDMI is that ether works and works perfectly, or it doesn't work. Buy any cable and plug it in. If you get a picture, you are good to go.

#10 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOn the road in North America...

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

If you buy from Monoprice, it's all their house brand. Any of them should be fine. If you're concerned about the length, get the Redmere cables with the active repeater built in.

#11 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

If you buy from Monoprice, it's all their house brand. Any of them should be fine. If you're concerned about the length, get the Redmere cables with the active repeater built in.

Thanks. I had heard Monoprice in the past, but I didn't realize it sold its own brand. The name sounds more like a warehouse not a product developer.

#12 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOn the road in North America...

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

Thanks. I had heard Monoprice in the past, but I didn't realize it sold its own brand. The name sounds more like a warehouse not a product developer.

I didn't realize it either, until recently. Good read: http://www.smartbusi.../0/0#&pageSet=0

#13 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

I'd avoid those Monster cables and any HDMI cable priced higher than most. They advertise you get better picture quality and sound of which is not entirely (if at all) true. HDMI is HDMI; CNET did an interesting article on this that can be found googling: Why all HDMI cables are the same :-)

#14 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

Gotta remember that we're in the digital age. On HDMI ALL signals are sent as Ones and Zeroes. A One does not go to a zero over a longer length of cable. It's either there or not.

The signal strength can get weaker over distance, but said distance, as I remember, is about 200 feet over a 'normal' HDMI cable.

As stated, buy the cheapest from Monoprice. If you get a signal you're good, otherwise send it back and get the Redmere.

#15 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

HDMI is rated at about 45 feet without boosting or EQ, but you can get them to work at longer distances with the right conditions. True HDMI compliance for passive cables stops about 45 feet.

#16 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

About the only thing I would add is if the TV is on an articulated wall arm and will be repositioned from time to time, you might want a better cable for being able to withstand the flexing.

However (there is always a however, ain't there?) some of the really good looking cables are quite stiff and might noodge the TV out of alignment on you, so there is that to worry about too.

Go not to the elves for counsel for they shall say both yes and no

Gandalf

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:54 AM

HDMI is rated at about 45 feet without boosting or EQ, but you can get them to work at longer distances with the right conditions. True HDMI compliance for passive cables stops about 45 feet.

FYI.
extort from HDMI official site:

Q. Does HDMI accommodate long cable lengths?

Yes. HDMI technology has been designed to use standard copper cable construction at long lengths. In order to allow cable manufacturers to improve their products through the use of new technologies, HDMI specifies the required performance of a cable but does not specify a maximum cable length. We have seen cables pass "Standard Cable" HDMI compliance testing at lengths of up to a maximum of 10 meters without the use of a repeater. It is not only the cable that factors into how long a cable can successfully carry an HDMI signal, the receiver chip inside the TV or projector also plays a major factor. Receiver chips that include a feature called "cable equalization" are able to compensate for weaker signals thereby extending the potential length of any cable that is used with that device.

With any long run of an HDMI cable, quality manufactured cables can play a significant role in successfully running HDMI over such longer distances.

Q. How do I run HDMI cables longer than 10 meters?

There are many HDMI Adopters working on HDMI solutions that extend a cable’s effective distance from the typical 10 meter range to much longer lengths. These companies manufacture a variety of solutions that include active cables (active electronics built into cables that boost and extend the cable’s signal), repeaters, amplifiers as well as CAT5/6 and fiber solutions.

10m is eq 30 feet

#18 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

I have never tried monoprice for cables. Are they a reliable company ? I was on their website and the prices were great.. I just do not know about their shipping record and customer support.

Please let me know of your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

the site is full of compliments to the company/site ...

Actually, you don't need to ask, just use Search and type "monoprice", you will get a lot of positive testimonials

#20 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 535 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

Monoprice's cables are great, and they're so cheap that, the next time I have to tear down my AV stack, I'm going to replace my current cables with their color-coded ones. :righton:

Edited by Reaper, 24 May 2013 - 03:33 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...