Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DTV since 1995 Now DISH user

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Grippy

Grippy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts
  • Locationda UP

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

I switched to get more gear for less $. The channel line up is fine and I AM USED TO THE DTV REMOTE AND UI.

When was the last time DISH updated their TV UI?

More steps are required to do what I did on DTV.
Remember, I KNOW I AM USED TO DTV.

Any idea why the option is called "Create Event" rather than "record"? Seems goofy.

I have the 722K.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   TimCoh

TimCoh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

The Hopper has a new GUI.

#3 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

Create an event is not recording one. It's exactly as it sounds, you are creating an event, that will record at some later date, not now. If watching a program and you hit record, that is recording an event.
I understand you are used to Direct TV, but if it's all about the dollars as you indicate, then you got what you were after, spending less. The UI being important to you, I might have stayed with what I have if I think it is superior. Beyond that, you went with older technology instead of the new one.

Edited by tampa8, 04 April 2013 - 05:36 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Grippy

Grippy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts
  • Locationda UP

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

Create an event is not recording one. It's exactly as it sounds, you are creating an event, that will record at some later date, not now. If watching a program and you hit record, that is recording an event.
I understand you are used to Direct TV, but if it's all about the dollars as you indicate, then you got what you were after, spending less. The UI being important to you, I might have stayed with what I have if I think it is superior. Beyond that, you went with older technology instead of the new one.

Thanks. When was the UI last updated? I don't think interface is technology as much as I think it's design. The choice of create event is poor since the event being created is a recording. They programmers must be linux mavens....you know, make an easy thing hard. Maybe they might have named it : crt-evnt.ftre-tme.2wtch

#5 OFFLINE   Grippy

Grippy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts
  • Locationda UP

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

There was a hand crank on my DTV receiver

#6 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

Lol..... Actually to me it makes sense. It's not a recording until it records. So it's an event you are making, waiting to record. "Timer Event"

#7 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 626 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:44 AM

I don't think interface is technology as much as I think it's design. The choice of create event is poor since the event being created is a recording.

To-may-to, to-mah-to. Perhaps DirecTV or Tivo have the patent on the use of the word "recording" in reference to a digital capture of a program. Goofier patents have been awarded for software.

I switched from DirecTV to the Hopper last year, and I've been very happy with the UI. There are a few differences that will occasionally cause me grief, but most of them are nothing more than an "a-ha, different way to do the same thing" variety. Curious why you chose an older receiver, when the Hopper is clearly where Dish's focus is these days.

#8 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

Curious why you chose an older receiver, when the Hopper is clearly where Dish's focus is these days.

I'm guessing if he only has 1-2 TV's, & one of those is only SD, then it's a little cheaper on monthly fees vs Hopper

When I switched all my prog to DISH late last summer, I went with 2 722k's, because:

- no OTA tuner for the (1st gen) Hopper available; I got FREE OTA tuner modules for both 722k's, which gave me 4 added OTA tuners

- too new & too many bugs that I did NOT want to deal with; I knew from both boards that the 722k's were the most reliable HD DVR's E* had at the time

After dealing with those POS dog-*** SLOW HR20's I was totally frustrated with, even those 722k's were like a breath of fresh air! :eek:

#9 OFFLINE   Grippy

Grippy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts
  • Locationda UP

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:20 PM

I'm guessing if he only has 1-2 TV's, & one of those is only SD, then it's a little cheaper on monthly fees vs Hopper

When I switched all my prog to DISH late last summer, I went with 2 722k's, because:

- no OTA tuner for the (1st gen) Hopper available; I got FREE OTA tuner modules for both 722k's, which gave me 4 added OTA tuners

- too new & too many bugs that I did NOT want to deal with; I knew from both boards that the 722k's were the most reliable HD DVR's E* had at the time

After dealing with those POS dog-*** SLOW HR20's I was totally frustrated with, even those 722k's were like a breath of fresh air! :eek:

Yep 3 TV's 1 SD 2 HD. The 722K is great compared to the HR 20. I could wait 30 seconds sometimes for a response.

Yes cheaper on monthly fees compared to the Hopper.

#10 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 626 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:08 AM

Yep 3 TV's 1 SD 2 HD. The 722K is great compared to the HR 20. I could wait 30 seconds sometimes for a response.

Yes cheaper on monthly fees compared to the Hopper.

So there you go. You get last-generation software on last-generation hardware, because it costs you less.

Select a program in the Hopper Guide in the future and it says "Record This/Record Series". Then there is a folder in the DVR menu called "Timers". Perhaps that terminology is what you're looking for.

I agree, the DirecTV hardware (especially HR20-23) had notorious speed problems. The biggest quirk I've found with Dish is that when catching up to live (i.e. watching a program while it is still recording), you can't stop and save your place. Only after the program is done recording can you stop and resume. My guess is that this is a patent issue, but it is an annoyance that I run into at least once a week.

#11 OFFLINE   Grippy

Grippy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts
  • Locationda UP

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:24 AM

So there you go. You get last-generation software on last-generation hardware, because it costs you less.

Select a program in the Hopper Guide in the future and it says "Record This/Record Series". Then there is a folder in the DVR menu called "Timers". Perhaps that terminology is what you're looking for.

I agree, the DirecTV hardware (especially HR20-23) had notorious speed problems. The biggest quirk I've found with Dish is that when catching up to live (i.e. watching a program while it is still recording), you can't stop and save your place. Only after the program is done recording can you stop and resume. My guess is that this is a patent issue, but it is an annoyance that I run into at least once a week.

On a budget. Strict budget. I don't have disposable income. I had to make cuts. Unlike the fed I have to. I can see you think less of me for that. I call it good capitalism on my part.

#12 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,719 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

On a budget. Strict budget. I don't have disposable income. I had to make cuts. Unlike the fed I have to. I can see you think less of me for that. I call it good capitalism on my part.

I don't think that is what he was saying. He pointed out that you wanted to save as much as possible and the best way to do that was to choose an older tech box. Nothing more or less imo.

And that is true. Dish's future is tied to the Hopper/Joey and I suspect that any other boxes you get will be refurbs, or soon that will be all that is available in them. Dish is not going to invest in improving those boxes from all indications.

That said, the 722(k) is a superb box that does what it does quickly and very well. The differences are in how each service approaches doing tasks. In the case of your 'event' instead of recording, 'event' fits better as with Dish it could be a recording or it could be auto-tune in some future time.

I think what happens is that we might be with one company for a long time and are used the the way they do things and when we change, we see a different way to skin the same cat. In general it takes little time to get used to the differences.

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Hopper w/Sling/Dish Network
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Harman Kardon 3700, 7.1 Setup

#13 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

In general it takes little time to get used to the differences.

Right, & honestly, even though the 722k is "older technology", it's still ahead of it's time compared to D* supposed "beautiful HD GUI" that's a "feast for the eye". (yea, when they started advertising it, I do remember them saying this... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) Besides the obvious speed difference (even on an HR24) you get 3 hours of grid on ONE screen vs 90 min on D*.
I also don't have to deal with that idiotic "your TV is not HD" error anymore, when I go to watch my 722k's on my secondary SD TV's that I have modulated it out to. (yea, I know about the various "workarounds" - point is, D* is the ONLY TV provider that has this BS on HD boxes)

Since I do NOT sit around gazing at how beautiful the EPG/menus look, having the other benefits of the 722k "old EPG" more than make up for the SD GUI display...

Edited by dishrich, 06 April 2013 - 02:52 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,719 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

One other thing I like with Dish is that Dish Anywhere actually works anywhere and is pretty damned good!

I'm mom sitting away from home now, so I thought I'd give the Sling stuff a whirl. I played a video on my home DVR over the internet and it worked just fine. The PQ sucked 'cause I only have 512k up speed from my ISP, but it was glitch free. Pretty slick imo.

D* isn't quite there yet, but I suspect they'll get it all done at some point in time.

Lloyd

#15 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 626 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

Whoa, now! That's not how I roll. Saving money is a smart thing to do. Of course, if you're really into saving money, put up an antenna and be done with the whole pay-TV game. I've done that in the past for a few years, and it wasn't all that bad.

All I'm saying is that you shouldn't expect a modern interface from an antiquated device. Just like I expect to be stuck running Leopard on the "new-to-me" $150 Powerbook G4 headed this way thanks to eBay.

#16 OFFLINE   sb40

sb40

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

Grippy lets us know if the price goes up after 3 months like dish did to me.

Good Luck !

#17 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,719 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

You mean when the discount for the Premiums expire? Which is also what happens with D*.

Lloyd

#18 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,650 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

The VIP922 also has the new guide too.;)

#19 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

The VIP922 also has the new guide too.;)

But the 922 is no longer being sold by DISH.

#20 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,650 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

But the 922 is no longer being sold by DISH.

That's interesting the VIP922 still shows it's offered by DISH( I just checked before replying.;)) on their website.:confused:

And if it's not the VIP922 is still available at www.dishdepot.com for those who want one to buy with no commitment.:)

#21 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

First, since when is everything on E*'s website 100% correct???

Aside from that, the bottom line is, as of 3/28/13, Echosphere is no longer going to be selling (new) 922's. While any remaining units in the pipeline (dealers, etc.) CAN be sold & activated, it pretty much spells the end of the line for these things, as the Hopper has pretty much replaced them. If you recall a few month's ago, E* had pretty much stopped having much of anything to do with them at all. They only started up offering them again a few months ago, to burn off the little remaining inventory they had left.

http://www.satellite...e?highlight=922

#22 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

I switched to get more gear for less $. The channel line up is fine and I AM USED TO THE DTV REMOTE AND UI.

When was the last time DISH updated their TV UI?

More steps are required to do what I did on DTV.
Remember, I KNOW I AM USED TO DTV.

Any idea why the option is called "Create Event" rather than "record"? Seems goofy.

I have the 722K.

Thanks

Anything is better than my first receiver, a DishPlayer YUCK! Microsoft did software for it.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#23 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

Anything is better than my first receiver, a DishPlayer YUCK! Microsoft did the DVR software for it - & E* couldn't get it's own software to work properly.

Fixed it for you - & that's EXACTLY why it had so many problems. Back in those days, E* had software "issues" on more than a couple of it's DVR's - & couldn't really get them, what you would call, settled down even by the time they were EOL. Then, trying to couple their not-so-good software, with someone else's (DVR) software, was a recipe for disaster!

However, if you recall, Microsoft did the same software for D*'s WebTV/DVR combo - & it worked all but flawlessly, & w/dual-tuners to boot! It actually was ahead of it's time, & IMHO, was BETTER than the D* Tivo units.

#24 OFFLINE   tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

I've had DTV since the stone ages until recently switching to Dish (a 722). I can handle the UI differences but I think the remote layout is awful. I can't adapt to the volume up/down keys being to the right and left of each other, ditto for the page up and page down keys.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...