Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

vip 722

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dogear

Dogear

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

My VIP 722 quit last Tuesday. Received a refurb today, and it was DOA. Bad luck or has anyone else experienced this? They want to send me another refurb, and couldn't guarantee this one would be any better.

Dogear

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,050 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

cross your fingers ...

#3 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

I'd say it was just bad luck. I hope you have great luck on the next replacement! :D

#4 OFFLINE   lonerwulf

lonerwulf

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

Refurbs are hit and miss it seems right now that all I install are refurb 722 s my theory is that VIPs are being phased out in favor of hopper system

#5 OFFLINE   Dogear

Dogear

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for the replies. Sounds as if it's a 50% chance. Might be time to go back to cable.

Dogear

#6 OFFLINE   lonerwulf

lonerwulf

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

Nope dish still better u just have had a ill bad luck

#7 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

Refurbs are hit and miss it seems right now that all I install are refurb 722 s my theory is that VIPs are being phased out in favor of hopper system

How long has it been since 722 was in production? All they have now is recycled receivers.

#8 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,050 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

doesn't matter how long, it's a matter of new model pushing hard: H/J or H2

#9 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

I still install plenty of 722k's. Can't remember the last time I came across one that was DOA. Don't know how many are new vs refurb. I would think most, if not all, are refurb units. Just bad luck for you me thinks.:(

#10 OFFLINE   smackman

smackman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

My 722 went out a couple of weeks ago; It generally does every 2- 3 years. I have yet to get a bad replacement Receiver.

I would hate to replace my 722. I am not under contract and have not been for many years.

Dish has always been good to me. I do not pay the optional $7 dollar monthly service fee but I have NEVER been charged for $16 dollars for shipping.

I guess being a long time Dish subscriber, paying auto pay has its quirks. :) I have been with Dish at least 13 years and it has been a good experience overall.

My replacement receiver did come with a bad land line phone issue. I could have sent it back but I will only miss the caller ID option. I am hooked up broadband.
Smackman THE KING OF SMACK: Dish Customer since 2000
VIP 722

#11 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

My 722 went out a couple of weeks ago; It generally does every 2- 3 years. I have yet to get a bad replacement Receiver.

I would hate to replace my 722. I am not under contract and have not been for many years.

Dish has always been good to me. I do not pay the optional $7 dollar monthly service fee but I have NEVER been charged for $16 dollars for shipping.

I guess being a long time Dish subscriber, paying auto pay has its quirks. :) I have been with Dish at least 13 years and it has been a good experience overall.

My replacement receiver did come with a bad land line phone issue. I could have sent it back but I will only miss the caller ID option. I am hooked up broadband.

Sounds like you are leasing from DISH, they own the receiver so they are replacing THEIR receiver.

#12 OFFLINE   smackman

smackman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

Sounds like you are leasing from DISH, they own the receiver so they are replacing THEIR receiver.

That is true but there is approx. a $16 dollar shipping fee to send THEIR replacement Receiver unless the $7 dollar service contract is part of your Dish Bill every month.

I see no need to own my Receiver when Dish backs there Receivers and there is generally no upfront cost except a 2 year agreement which I have not been under for many years.

Edited by smackman, 05 April 2013 - 08:41 PM.

Smackman THE KING OF SMACK: Dish Customer since 2000
VIP 722

#13 OFFLINE   Dogear

Dogear

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

I reconsidered today and let them send me another 722. They offered to upgrade to the 922, but wanted another two-year commitment, which I don't want. Thanks for all the input.

Dogear

#14 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,050 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

I reconsidered today and let them send me another 722. They offered to upgrade to the 922, but wanted another two-year commitment, which I don't want. Thanks for all the input.

Dogear

Take a look here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=208053

#15 OFFLINE   Dogear

Dogear

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

Just to finish the thread, the second replacement seems to be working all right. Customer service could not have been more helpful. I appreciate the comments.

Dogear

Protected By... spam firewall...And...