Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mad Men Season 6

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:57 AM

For fans of the show, from today's New York Times:

The ’60s came to an end, and so, after the seventh and final season, will “Mad Men.” And that makes Season 6, which begins on Sunday night on AMC, feel a little like an office retirement party.

[...]

The pleasure of “Mad Men” is not in discovery anymore; it’s in the affirmation that there is still some invention left in a series that took audiences by surprise and then kept them hooked even when the novelty wore off. [more]

Edited by Steve, 05 April 2013 - 06:08 AM.

/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,322 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

Thanks, Steve. What a gripping write-up -- I wish I had written it. My appetite for the new season is fully whetted, but my anticipation is tempered by knowing it will be the last.

Now where is that Roku remote?

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

Thanks, Steve. What a gripping write-up -- I wish I had written it.

I know. Ms. Stanley does have a way with words, doesn't she?

My appetite for the new season is fully whetted, but my anticipation is tempered by knowing it will be the last.

Next to last, if I read that correctly. Hopefully there's one more season after this one to look forward to.
/steve

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,524 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

Hmmm. Well...

Of the reviews I've read to get my head back into that space, including Tim Goodman's in The Hollywood Reporter who I think went out on a limb in the face of Weiner's no spoilers rule, it sounds like Season 6 begins with Don and Roger still confronting the the meaning of life, plus death, and coming up empty. This picture from my last review here helps me get in the right frame of mind to deal with Weiner's take on the late '60's in what I consider to be a bad ten years, 1963-1973:

Posted Image

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

I hope Joan has lost some weight--that whole 50's blobbo thing was not wearing well on her. Skinny is in by the mid-60's, Twiggy and Carnaby Street and all that. We know JJ is coming back thin, good move! We have all predicted Don's daughter is headed for radicalism, so I assume we're finally gonna get our payoff there. Can't imagine Megan sticking around long immersed in her hot young hipster actor crowd. Hope Sal comes back, great character!

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

I'm really looking forward to this season and I hope that in some way these tragically flawed characters will find happy endings. We know that most of them are too rooted in their pasts to dominate for much longer; we knew that from the beginning. The only question is whether or not they will even try to bend to the winds of change or if they think, as many in their generation did, that by standing tall in the face of the future they can somehow prevent it.

I think sometimes who these people would be by the 1980s... Don would be similar to Bill Holden's character from Network, Roger would retire early, blow his money investing in est, Pete would eventually join forces with Chaugh and run a sweatshop-style agency.

Joan would become a charter member of the NYC businesswomens' association while Peggy would turn into a grizzled hag indistinguishable from one of the men. Betty would remain an old society lady while Megan went on to join the jet set, perhaps having had a brief fling with someone from Andy Warhol's Factory crowd.

Sal would go back into the closet and end up like Chris Cooper in American Beauty.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,491 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

Next to last, if I read that correctly.

That's how I read it as well.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#8 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

I'm really looking forward to this season and I hope that in some way these tragically flawed characters will find happy endings. We know that most of them are too rooted in their pasts to dominate for much longer; we knew that from the beginning. The only question is whether or not they will even try to bend to the winds of change or if they think, as many in their generation did, that by standing tall in the face of the future they can somehow prevent it.

I think sometimes who these people would be by the 1980s... Don would be similar to Bill Holden's character from Network, Roger would retire early, blow his money investing in est, Pete would eventually join forces with Chaugh and run a sweatshop-style agency.

Joan would become a charter member of the NYC businesswomens' association while Peggy would turn into a grizzled hag indistinguishable from one of the men. Betty would remain an old society lady while Megan went on to join the jet set, perhaps having had a brief fling with someone from Andy Warhol's Factory crowd.

Sal would go back into the closet and end up like Chris Cooper in American Beauty.

heheh you nailed it!

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,524 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

Here's an interesting perspective 14 women Don Draper has romanced. Includes photos.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#10 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:28 AM

They slipped up on one point: the teacher was not planning on publicizing the affair (how could she, she'd lose her job). They were just slipping off for a fun weekend when Don got confronted about his true ID by Betty. The teacher just slunked home and we never saw her again.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...