Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Do I own my HR34?

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

When I signed up with Directv last September, I paid $99 for HR34. Do I own the box or am I leasing it?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

Leasing

#3 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,117 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

You are leasing it. A purchase, if even offered on a HR34 would be $500 - $600
My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,103 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

You are leasing it for sure. There are very few owned Genie's.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#5 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

How much am I leasing the box for?

#6 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,103 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

Receiver fee is $6.00/month plus your upfront. The upfront discounted price is in exchage for a 24 Month commitment. If the receiver needs to be replaced because it's faulty it will only cost you the shipping unless you are a Protection plan sub then it's free.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

A "one time fee" of $99 it looks like.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

Ahh, thank you for the info.

#9 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

Receiver fee is $6.00/month plus your upfront. The upfront discounted price is in exchage for a 24 Month commitment. If the receiver needs to be replaced because it's faulty it will only cost you the shipping unless you are a Protection plan sub then it's free.

It's a mirroring fee not a receiver fee. Just a heads up.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#10 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

Leasing. A owned one is like 600$ at least. And the 6.00 fee is mirroring fee for having more than one receiver, you pay that same fee regardless if the receiver is leased or owned.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,746 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

lucky you only paid $99.00. Some others have paid much more than that and is still leased.
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,862 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

Sat companies made a chimera in business model: mix a car leasing model (pay upfront, return a car) with mobile phones (subsidized the low price $100 vs $560 and stick with 12/24 months contract and own the phone after lease).
So, you must return the DVR/IRD in contrary of owning at lease end a cell phone, cheating point is the DVR has a price of iPhone, not a car ! And they will leased it again for pure profit.

#13 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

Sat companies made a chimera in business model: mix a car leasing model (pay upfront, return a car) with mobile phones (subsidized the low price $100 vs $560 and stick with 12/24 months contract and own the phone after lease).
So, you must return the DVR/IRD in contrary of owning at lease end a cell phone, cheating point is the DVR has a price of iPhone, not a car ! And they will leased it again for pure profit.

These are two completely different models with completely different products. D*, whether on it's own or with the help of other companies, manufactures it's own equipment whereas wireless providers sell products from other companies who spent their own time and money on R&D and manufacturing. D*'s equipment belongs to them because they were the largest investor in the product. The rapid change in technology to support the devices using mobile technology is also advancing, causing a stronger push for new products to be released quite often. How often does D* or E* release a truly new device?

The other large factor is churn of equipment. Smart phones are sold and replaced in large quantities on a daily basis. Many long term customers, even on this forum, have had the same D* equipment for easily over 5 years. I don't know a single person still sporting a smart phone from 5 years ago.

Apples and oranges...
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#14 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,103 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

My cell phone company won't give me a new phone until my contract is up just because it doesn't work any more like DIRECTV will, nor will the car company. It is sort of a mix of the two and there is no law that says you have to sign up with them. Either you agree or you don't but when you do then you shouldn't complain.

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,862 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

D*, whether on it's own or with the help of other companies, manufactures it's own equipment whereas wireless providers sell products from other companies who spent their own time and money on R&D and manufacturing

Slow down ... not so fast spilling the words ...

All that companies are the HW/SW designers and manufacturers, not sure what kind of agreement they have in use binary/libs from NDS between DTV and them.
Other arguments are insignificant and don't play here.

#16 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

It's a mirroring fee not a receiver fee. Just a heads up.

How come you don't have a mirroring fee with all the devices that you connect to the Internet through a router?

I think they should let you buy the box and card.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#17 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

Slow down ... not so fast spilling the words ...

All that companies are the HW/SW designers and manufacturers, not sure what kind of agreement they have in use binary/libs from NDS between DTV and them.
Other arguments are insignificant and don't play here.

Simply put:
D* currently offers D* receivers.
Wireless providers offer phones from Apple, Samsung, HTC, BlackBerry and LG just to name a few. BTW, most of those phones are offered all over the globe.

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,862 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

Simply put:
D* currently offers D* receivers.
Wireless providers offer phones from Apple, Samsung, HTC, BlackBerry and LG just to name a few. BTW, most of those phones are offered all over the globe.

Are you kidding ? Or you're blind.

#19 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

Either you agree or you don't but when you do then you shouldn't complain.

Words of wisdom right there. No one forced you to have the service. By keeping it you had agreed to the terms and conditions as stated by the agreement.

I personally do not agree with them charging customers fees for additional recievers either, especially moreso if you own the reciever. But in all it is their company and they can do what they want.

Are you kidding ? Or you're blind.

Hey now, their is no reason to bash other members. Chill out or get out.

Edited by Volatility, 05 April 2013 - 10:21 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

How come you don't have a mirroring fee with all the devices that you connect to the Internet through a router?

I think they should let you buy the box and card.

Don't say that too loud or they'll start! Someone on these forums put the mirroring best when they compared it to family plans with cell phone companies. You have an overall charge for the plan and pay a mirroring fee for any additional phone to have access to the same plan.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...