Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Do I own my HR34?

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:43 PM

Are you kidding ? Or you're blind.

Don't take what I wrote to mean that D* has a lab of HW/SW engineers and manufacturing plants owned and operated by them. The difference is that D*'s equipment is made for D* and they pick up the bill. AT&T doesn't pick up the bill for R&D on every smart phone they offer. Those costs are split.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,260 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:47 PM

Don't take what I wrote to mean that D* has a lab of HW/SW engineers and manufacturing plants owned and operated by them. The difference is that D*'s equipment is made for D* and they pick up the bill. AT&T doesn't pick up the bill for R&D on every smart phone they offer. Those costs are split.

R&D of each model done by the manufacturers, not by DTV.

And I know (probably more then you know) how phone's companies making devices for AT&T, Verizon, etc.

#28 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

R&D of each model done by the manufacturers, not by DTV.

And it's charitable? Or does D* pay for it?
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#29 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

And I know (probably more then you know) how phone's companies making devices for AT&T, Verizon, etc.

what is up with people jumping to conclusions about other people they never met before on the internet? Really annoying. Just sayin'

#30 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,260 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

what is up with people jumping to conclusions about other people they never met before on the internet? Really annoying. Just sayin'

You are drugging the thread into personal fight, please stop the trend !

#31 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

You are drugging the thread into personal fight, please stop the trend !

You started it:)

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#32 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,260 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

And it's charitable? Or does D* pay for it?

If you know how cellphone's manufacturers doing business with phone service providers, you'll see many similarities between DTV and IRD's manufacturers.

That's why I wrote about the chimeric symbiosis of two business models above.

#33 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,260 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

Than you could say something about the topic.

#34 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

Thank you. Cause I was like huh

P Smith typing I know more than you just comes off the wrong way. And before that you called them blind. Please find a way to post without putting down other users :) thats all

#35 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:13 PM

No one owns the HR34 unless you paid the steep price for it $600 or $700 I think, just like a buying an unlocked cellphone or one with no contract.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#36 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,260 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:21 PM

No one owns the HR34 unless you paid the steep price for it $600 or $700 I think, just like a buying an unlocked cellphone or one with no contract.

the point is, you (paid subsidized price) will own it after one year if you'll get another one or after expiration of the contract. What you must do with IRD after your contract expired ? And you paid the $100 or $200 for it?

#37 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,260 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

Thank you. Cause I was like huh

P Smith typing I know more than you just comes off the wrong way. And before that you called them blind. Please find a way to post without putting down other users :) thats all

It wasn't insult - I mean anyone knows what the -100, -200 etc means. It's written on your IRD, you see it when you go to Diags ... the post#15 is out of meaning when put DTV against say AT&T
Could you tell me how many customers pay same $100 for same box during its life ?

#38 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:28 PM

It wasn't insult - I mean anyone knows what the -100, -200 etc means. It's written on your IRD, you see it when you go to Diags ...

Yes but those are just numbers to a lot of people that are not aware and aren't in this forum, shoot even some CSR's don't know.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#39 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,260 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:34 PM

Yes but those are just numbers to a lot of people that are not aware and aren't in this forum, shoot even some CSR's don't know.

Oh, yeah, new excuse for someone who are arguing in favor of the company ...
If he put his words here, then he should be prepare ... anyway, there are many manufacturers who doing R&D SW&HW development and manufacturing IRDs for DTV. Perhaps DTV DOESN'T do that at all.
and you peacefully escape questions from post#36, hehe

#40 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:37 PM

If he put his words here, then he should be prepare ... anyway, there are many manufacturers who doing R&D SW&HW development and manufacturing IRDs for DTV. Perhaps DTV DOESN'T do that at all.

I had a customer who taught the 100 on his hr24 meant it was capable of receiving internet speeds of 100 gigs. I kid you not lol

Edited by Volatility, 07 April 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#41 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,260 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:39 PM

we should educate our customers ... but if you try to arguing here, prepare: no one stone left unturned !

#42 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,974 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

the point is, you (paid subsidized price) will own it after one year if you'll get another one or after expiration of the contract. What you must do with IRD after your contract expired ? And you paid the $100 or $200 for it?

The cell phone comments are not entirely accurate. Cell phones are not leased. The customer owns the phone immediately and may do whatever they want with the phone immediately (destroy, sell, whatever).

Regardless of what the customer does with the phone they are responsible for the separate service contract that they sign. They will need to fulfill that service contract or pay ETF to end that service contract. Making the commitment to the service contract leads to a discount on the phone. But the phone is NOT leased.

Comparing satellite to cell phone also fails when it comes to pricing. Once the customer agrees to the cell phone price plan it is their price until the customer chooses to change the plan. Annual increases even after the initial one or two year commitment do not come in to play. Even customers who bring their own device and run month to month without commitment do not fall under routine price increases. With few exceptions (the cell phone company ceasing service being the primary one) once you agree to the price plan you do not need to worry about a cell phone company changing the price. Satellite service does not follow that pricing scheme.

I wish one could buy satellite service and never see a price increase unless one changed their own plan. But that is not the way it works. I wish one could buy satellite receivers at deep discounts in exchange for one or two year commitments and own them on day one but that is not the way it works (at least not any more).

DBS service and cellphones - apples and oranges.

#43 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

and you peacefully escape questions from post#36, hehe

What? I'm talking about subs not the company, and who's arguing when all I'm saying are facts.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#44 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,260 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:55 PM

Sat comps made the turn not that long ago. Before we could pay full price for the IRDs (Target, Fry's, Wall-mart, etc) or after one year contract (no payment for the equipment !!!) own the box, LNBF, switch, etc after one year contract. That works with leasing model simultaneously, but that time wasn't the ridiculous upfront fee. The fee is pure "burglary" !

#45 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,260 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:57 PM

What? I'm talking about subs not the company, and who's arguing when all I'm saying are facts.

Oh ! I didn't realize you are posting under two nicks and post#13 is your. :D

#46 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,974 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:26 AM

Sat comps made the turn not that long ago. Before we could pay full price for the IRDs (Target, Fry's, Wall-mart, etc) or after one year contract (no payment for the equipment !!!) own the box, LNBF, switch, etc after one year contract. That works with leasing model simultaneously, but that time wasn't the ridiculous upfront fee. The fee is pure "burglary" !

It is a one time "lifetime" lease deal ... and not a bad deal in the long run. If one buys their receiver it is only worth what they can sell it for later. Lease for $100 and pay the same monthly fees as an owned receiver or own for $500-$600 and hope that one can get $400-$500 out of the receiver on resale?

Yes, it can get old paying $100 for lease upgrades every couple of years to get the latest greatest model. But the introduction of those new models leads to the devaluing of the old models. How does one sell their $500 owned receiver for $400 and break even when newer models are on the market?

The primary value I can see in owning the receiver is knowing what receiver you are paying for. Unless one can specify the exact model when leasing buying can be a benefit. People who like to open covers an tweak their receivers are also less restricted on an owned receiver. But these choices come at a price.

If the resell market is strong enough that owning and reselling for each upgrade saves money then it makes sense to do so. But if one is going to lose more than the one time lease fee every time they do an upgrade they are paying for the "other benefits" of owning.

#47 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:50 AM

Wisdom ? Nay ... there are only two companies on the market .. and each second year they're trying to merge.

err no, look again you missed quite a few

#48 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,553 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:22 AM

The primary value I can see in owning the receiver is knowing what receiver you are paying for.

Being able to deactivate and retain the receiver, then reactivate it at a future time, is also an advantage if you have a seldom used viewing location such as a guest room that is only occupied a few weeks out of the year. With an owned receiver you do not have a recurring acquisition cost. Under the leased model you would have to pay the upfront fee every time you wanted to activate that location. Under this scenario, it is actually less costly to keep the receiver active year round than to pay the acquisition cost for the receiver annually.

#49 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

Being able to deactivate and retain the receiver, then reactivate it at a future time, is also an advantage if you have a seldom used viewing location such as a guest room that is only occupied a few weeks out of the year. With an owned receiver you do not have a recurring acquisition cost. Under the leased model you would have to pay the upfront fee every time you wanted to activate that location. Under this scenario, it is actually less costly to keep the receiver active year round than to pay the acquisition cost for the receiver annually.

That there is why i have an extra H25 on my account. I have a extra tubed Tv in the garage so i can watch the news, weather or listen to music while i am tinkering around in there... It's only really warm enough 8 months out of there year for me to heavily use it. It's much cheaper to pay the upfront cost of $99 and keep it active year round than to add/remove when needed.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#50 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,269 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

Not true.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...