Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Do I own my HR34?

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,340 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

Words of wisdom right there. No one forced you to have the service. By keeping it you had agreed to the terms and conditions as stated by the agreement.

Wisdom ? Nay ... there are only two companies on the market .. and each second year they're trying to merge.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,671 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

Don't say that too loud or they'll start! Someone on these forums put the mirroring best when they compared it to family plans with cell phone companies. You have an overall charge for the plan and pay a mirroring fee for any additional phone to have access to the same plan.

That's a good way to put it. Makes more sense now.

Yeah hope the ISP's never start charging per device! Even behind a NAT router, they could figure out different devices based on traffic patterns doing deep packet inspection.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#23 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:21 PM

Their reasoning as to why they charge additional receiver fees is because it costs them money to send a signal to each additional receiver. They recuperate some of that by charging a receiver fee

How come you don't have a mirroring fee with all the devices that you connect to the Internet through a router?

Don't say that too loud or they'll start!

Yeah hope the ISP's never start charging per device! Even behind a NAT router, they could figure out different devices based on traffic patterns doing deep packet inspection.

Some high level exec from Comcast is reading this thinking.....

Posted Image lol

Edited by Volatility, 05 April 2013 - 10:33 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,671 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

Their reasoning as to why they charge additional receiver fees is because it costs them money to send a signal to each additional receiver. They recuperate some of that by charging a receiver fee

I kind of see what your saying but don't like how you said it. It shouldn't cost them any more since its sent through the air and you only need 1 dish with a clear view of the southern sky.

Now maybe it has to do with all the licensing fees for decryption (NDS), Dolby, HDMI, and other software. The software field is where it's at. Software licensing and maintenance contracts are HUGE moneymakers.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#25 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:41 PM

I kind of see what your saying but don't like how you said it. It shouldn't cost them any more since its sent through the air and you only need 1 dish with a clear view of the southern sky.

Now maybe it has to do with all the licensing fees for decryption (NDS), Dolby, HDMI, and other software. The software field is where it's at. Software licensing and maintenance contracts are HUGE moneymakers.

Now that makes much more sense than explained to me. And also D* depends on other companies to write code for the receivers. Lol next time a customer asks me i should use your reasoning instead

Edited by Volatility, 05 April 2013 - 11:19 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:43 PM

Are you kidding ? Or you're blind.

Don't take what I wrote to mean that D* has a lab of HW/SW engineers and manufacturing plants owned and operated by them. The difference is that D*'s equipment is made for D* and they pick up the bill. AT&T doesn't pick up the bill for R&D on every smart phone they offer. Those costs are split.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#27 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,340 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:47 PM

Don't take what I wrote to mean that D* has a lab of HW/SW engineers and manufacturing plants owned and operated by them. The difference is that D*'s equipment is made for D* and they pick up the bill. AT&T doesn't pick up the bill for R&D on every smart phone they offer. Those costs are split.

R&D of each model done by the manufacturers, not by DTV.

And I know (probably more then you know) how phone's companies making devices for AT&T, Verizon, etc.

#28 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

R&D of each model done by the manufacturers, not by DTV.

And it's charitable? Or does D* pay for it?
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#29 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

And I know (probably more then you know) how phone's companies making devices for AT&T, Verizon, etc.

what is up with people jumping to conclusions about other people they never met before on the internet? Really annoying. Just sayin'

#30 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,340 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

what is up with people jumping to conclusions about other people they never met before on the internet? Really annoying. Just sayin'

You are drugging the thread into personal fight, please stop the trend !

#31 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

You are drugging the thread into personal fight, please stop the trend !

You started it:)
Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 Deactivated
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#32 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,340 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

And it's charitable? Or does D* pay for it?

If you know how cellphone's manufacturers doing business with phone service providers, you'll see many similarities between DTV and IRD's manufacturers.

That's why I wrote about the chimeric symbiosis of two business models above.

#33 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,340 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

Than you could say something about the topic.

#34 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

Thank you. Cause I was like huh

P Smith typing I know more than you just comes off the wrong way. And before that you called them blind. Please find a way to post without putting down other users :) thats all

#35 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:13 PM

No one owns the HR34 unless you paid the steep price for it $600 or $700 I think, just like a buying an unlocked cellphone or one with no contract.
Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#36 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,340 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:21 PM

No one owns the HR34 unless you paid the steep price for it $600 or $700 I think, just like a buying an unlocked cellphone or one with no contract.

the point is, you (paid subsidized price) will own it after one year if you'll get another one or after expiration of the contract. What you must do with IRD after your contract expired ? And you paid the $100 or $200 for it?

#37 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,340 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

Thank you. Cause I was like huh

P Smith typing I know more than you just comes off the wrong way. And before that you called them blind. Please find a way to post without putting down other users :) thats all

It wasn't insult - I mean anyone knows what the -100, -200 etc means. It's written on your IRD, you see it when you go to Diags ... the post#15 is out of meaning when put DTV against say AT&T
Could you tell me how many customers pay same $100 for same box during its life ?

#38 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:28 PM

It wasn't insult - I mean anyone knows what the -100, -200 etc means. It's written on your IRD, you see it when you go to Diags ...

Yes but those are just numbers to a lot of people that are not aware and aren't in this forum, shoot even some CSR's don't know.
Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#39 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,340 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:34 PM

Yes but those are just numbers to a lot of people that are not aware and aren't in this forum, shoot even some CSR's don't know.

Oh, yeah, new excuse for someone who are arguing in favor of the company ...
If he put his words here, then he should be prepare ... anyway, there are many manufacturers who doing R&D SW&HW development and manufacturing IRDs for DTV. Perhaps DTV DOESN'T do that at all.
and you peacefully escape questions from post#36, hehe

#40 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:37 PM

Oh, yeah, new excuse for someone who are arguing in favor of the company ...
If he put his words here, then he should be prepare ... anyway, there are many manufacturers who doing R&D SW&HW development and manufacturing IRDs for DTV. Perhaps DTV DOESN'T do that at all.

I had a customer who taught the 100 on his hr24 meant it was capable of receiving internet speeds of 100 gigs. I kid you not lol

Edited by Volatility, 07 April 2013 - 12:16 PM.

spam firewall