Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Do I own my HR34?

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

I do not know what you mean by if they sell them as the HR34 is a Genie unit. However the HR34 is 199.00 to lease
399 to own
SolidSignal is doing a deal where you can get them for 349.

The $349 at Solid Signal is a lease.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#82 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

It's still a leased unit for $349 from Solid Signal.

OMG !
[We did arguing for miserable $100 or $200 !]

#83 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

OMG !
[We did arguing for miserable $100 or $200 !]

For you maybe but for some of us it's expensive.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#84 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

in canada you can buy the box and some system even have rent to own with out the mirroring or outlet fees*.

* on some system there is a fee for over 4 boxes but I don't think it's per box.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#85 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

Ain't it $399 to lease at least that's what I was quoted. So I expect I'll be more to own. Or it could be that I'm on legacy non-SWM.

Sorry wasnt paying attention to what I was typing, I was in the process to edit but you beat me to it with them quick typing fingers lol

Meant:
399.00 to lease from DTV but 399 to lease from SolidSignal
You can not currently own one though last time I checked. When looking under owned receivers in their order management system, the option does not appear.

Edited by Volatility, 06 April 2013 - 09:18 PM.

#86 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

in canada you can buy the box and some system even have rent to own with out the mirroring or outlet fees*.

* on some system there is a fee for over 4 boxes but I don't think it's per box.

Huh? I know I haven't posted much here the past couple of months but when did DirecTV start doing business in Canada?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#87 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

Huh? I know I haven't posted much here the past couple of months but when did DirecTV start doing business in Canada?

They don't. ShawDirect would tell them to pound sand lol

#88 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

He probably meant for other satellite systems I presume that does that.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#89 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

For you maybe but for some of us it's expensive.

I've been sarcastic when saw the quadruple $349 $399 for LEASE !

#90 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,973 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:10 AM

That's too much for a lease. At least the cable company doesn't charge you if you just swap out for the newest box. The most they would do is a DVR fee or Multi-Room DVR fee, but no $100, $200, $300, or $400 fee just to get the box into your home.

Why is that? Is it because there is a local office with cable that you can just go to? DirecTV is nationwide so I guess there is no local office.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#91 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

That's too much for a lease. At least the cable company doesn't charge you if you just swap out for the newest box. The most they would do is a DVR fee or Multi-Room DVR fee, but no $100, $200, $300, or $400 fee just to get the box into your home.

Why is that? Is it because there is a local office with cable that you can just go to? DirecTV is nationwide so I guess there is no local office.

Simple, they make more money with the lease program. I still think it's a wise business choice. Doesn't make me like it, but I can understand why they do it. Just think of how many leased HRs there are out there and D* gets to depreciate them.

Rich

#92 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

I guess you could pay 2-3x more for the receiver and still have pay the additional receiver fee.

But, you would be responsible for getting the thing fixed if something goes wrong. That would require footing the repair bill for paying for the protection plan.

BTW, at least in my area, the cable company won’t give you the latest hardware just because you want it. They’ll only do a swap out if it’s in support of service upgrade or if the receiver is bad. It’s not like you get an upgrade any time you want.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#93 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

BTW, at least in my area, the cable company...

If you've ever used a Motorola DVR, you might see why they "give them away". :nono: :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#94 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

If you've ever used a Motorola DVR, you might see why they "give them away". :nono: :lol:

Been there, done that. Horrible experience. Cable guy showed up with a jumble of DVRs, none in boxes and proceeded to try them one at a time to find one that worked.

Never again.

Rich

#95 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

Oh yeah, I've used them and know friends who have them. Those DVRs and ours are definitely an apples to oranges kind of comparison. :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#96 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

The last time I had a DVR with the cable company was when it was called AT&T Broadband before Comcrap took over, And at that time I could add channels individually which I liked, But the darn thing keep failing on me that they replaced several times after each kept breaking on me, I've yet to replace a DVR from Directv going on 4 years of service.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#97 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

I say it's always best to research online for a good deal on a owned receiver box, mostly from eBay, I got the 24 owned for $250 which would of cost me $400 or $500 from Directv directly. Plus deactivating and reactivating without all the hassle or expense of another receiver, Plus they might or not give you a 24 which is a luck of the draw.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#98 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

So does anybody knows exactly how much there selling to own HR34's for? If they sell it

The HR34 is the only receiver D* does not currently have a purchase-to-own option for. I highly doubt you would want to based on what the cost would be.

Edited by goinsleeper, 07 April 2013 - 03:31 PM.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#99 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

The dissonance is you pay upfront for a lease and getting no return of it or no owning the IRD after your contract is ended.
Next person leasing SAME box will pay the $100 or $200 again and again for it.

This would be assuming every receiver was paid for by the customer, and D* never gave free upgrades. This is also assuming every receiver installed makes it back to D* multiple times(your comment saying "again and again"). So what about all the receivers that were installed brand new, at no charge and stay installed until they are no longer recoverable? There are quite a few like this. You make their receiver policy out to be a cash farm, though it isn't.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#100 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

I have to give them props though for having their receivers having a digital display for the time & channel number so one does not have to press the info button to get it. http://www.shawdirec.../images/630.jpg
Pretty neat imho, wish DTV did that.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...