Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Do I own my HR34?

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,097 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

Spent $7 on a digital clock that I put by the TV, problem solved.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

I have to give them props though for having their receivers having a digital display

With my old VCR losing its settings every time the power goes out, it's often 12:00 for days in my home theater.

If you've ever used a Motorola DVR, you might see why they "give them away". :nono: :lol:

They do really, really suck. It's hard to make a recording on them.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#103 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

With my old VCR losing its settings every time the power goes out, it's often 12:00 for days in my home theater.

oh gosh just got déjà vu on trying to figure out how to schedule recordings on my old VCR the first time

Spent $7 on a digital clock that I put by the TV, problem solved.

ha this is so true. i just think it looks cool :)

The dissonance is you pay upfront for a lease and getting no return of it or no owning the IRD after your contract is ended.

Whilst I can see why you would think this, that is not necessarily true because of product obsolescence. At one point that particular receiver was one of the newest models to hit the market, but over time it is no longer recoverable as something came out to replace it. At that point DTV may not want it back.

Edited by Volatility, 07 April 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#104 OFFLINE   jep8821

jep8821

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

you might be able to get an HR34 marked as "owned" under the right circumstances. I got mine marked as owned by working out a deal with directv where I paid the non return fee of ~$225 back in December 2011. Granted my situation was a little unique... The website I bought it from was a directv authorized dealer who didn't note on there website that it was a lease unit AND didn't have any lease agreement listed on their website or any note on the order that I had to accept a lease agreement. So when I called to activate it.. I was able to work my way up thru management and they verified the website of the dealer was at fault and worked a deal out with me... The only downside to the way I did mine was that while it has been verified multiple times my unit is marked as owned... my 2 year commitment IS still in effect.

I guess my point in this... if u want an HR34 as owned... Call directv and see if you can work out a deal... ask for management and continue to escalate if need be...If you get them to do it... then do it Right then... don't call back later cause u might not get that offer again.

Jason
All Owned:
HR34-700
HR24-500
HR23-100
HR21-200
SWM 16
DECA (self installed)

#105 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

That's too much for a lease. At least the cable company doesn't charge you if you just swap out for the newest box. The most they would do is a DVR fee or Multi-Room DVR fee, but no $100, $200, $300, or $400 fee just to get the box into your home.

Why is that? Is it because there is a local office with cable that you can just go to? DirecTV is nationwide so I guess there is no local office.

Cable companies charge more per month for advanced receivers and DVR (at least Cablevision does). DirecTV charges the same monthly fee, regardless of what type of receivers you own. The last time that I checked, Cablevision charged somewhere between $13-15 per month per DVR. With 3 DVR's in my house, it's far less expensive to pay a one-time upgrade fee to get a DVR and then pay a lower monthly lease fee.

#106 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

Cable companies charge more per month for advanced receivers and DVR (at least Cablevision does). DirecTV charges the same monthly fee, regardless of what type of receivers you own. The last time that I checked, Cablevision charged somewhere between $13-15 per month per DVR. With 3 DVR's in my house, it's far less expensive to pay a one-time upgrade fee to get a DVR and then pay a lower monthly lease fee.

On the flipside, in my area, the cable company charges about $7 per DVR with no upfront fee. For a similar package and equipment to what I have now, the cable co was about $25 less a month.

I stay with Directv because of the technology and ST.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#107 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

On the flipside, in my area, the cable company charges about $7 per DVR with no upfront fee. For a similar package and equipment to what I have now, the cable co was about $25 less a month.

I stay with Directv because of the technology and ST.

I've compared U-Verse and Comcast to what I get with DirecTV.
U-Verses came out a bit cheaper, but not quite as many functions/features.
Comcast came out 50% more each month. :eek2:
A.K.A VOS

#108 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

I've compared U-Verse and Comcast to what I get with DirecTV.
U-Verses came out a bit cheaper, but not quite as many functions/features.
Comcast came out 50% more each month. :eek2:

Wow! I am also in an area that has U-Verse (although not widespread). How is Comcast able to compete with that kind of pricing?

My cable co was recently (last year some time) purchased by Time Warner. It will be interesting to see what happens with prices once the takeover is fully implemented in June.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#109 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

Wow, I asked one question and 108 posts later, we are still talking about it.

Cool!~!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...