Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Blue Jays, Phillies, and Astros feeds on Extra Innings

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 532 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

And once again I refuse to believe this. How can bandwidth be crunched if all they are doing is re-mapping all of the RSNs to the Extra Innings channels? That is not a bandwidth crunch...it's a made up excuse if someone told you that and people are just being lazy and not conforming to the 21st century.

Where is the bandwidth crunch coming from right now?

what do you think D14 is? and why can't DirecTV add many HD Channels at once? if they add too many before D14 the Channels could become bad quality

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

Those feeds haven't been on since the season started. I would expect them before the NBA and NHL regular seasons end at the earliest, if at all.

The Blue Jays et al are NOT rsn remaps. They need the bandwidth.

What 21st century? Since when does the 21st century mean you get everything?

Ranting is not going to change where things are. The Masters causes this every year and you rant about it every year.

#23 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

Ranting is not going to change where things are. The Masters causes this every year and you rant about it every year.

So put those feeds on now. The Masters doesn't start until Thursday, so I ask again...where is the bandwidth crunch coming from? And I distinctly remember seeing the Phillies and Blue Jays feeds on during the first couple of series back in 2011, so why can't that be done now?

What is using up the bandwidth today that makes it impossible to put the Rogers, CSN Philly, or CSN Houston feeds up?

#24 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,069 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

The afternoon and early evening games on the part time RSN's DirecTV carry along with the Canadian only games for Center Ice. (And in some really busy nights even some Canadian games get bumped) They all get priority on the part time slots over an extra feed of a game where DirecTV already has coverage via the other team's feed.

Just flip through the 600s, every game on the part time RSNs take up a feed. They even took off some of the infomercial channels, PPV channels along with the NBA stats channel to make room.

#25 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,666 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

So put those feeds on now. The Masters doesn't start until Thursday, so I ask again...where is the bandwidth crunch coming from? And I distinctly remember seeing the Phillies and Blue Jays feeds on during the first couple of series back in 2011, so why can't that be done now?

What is using up the bandwidth today that makes it impossible to put the Rogers, CSN Philly, or CSN Houston feeds up?

Sigh.

The Masters does this every year. How about that it is the Masters. You know, the only sporting event without commercials. The one that dictates everything. Maybe even that tests have to be run on "their" streams and they cannot be used for anything else prior to. Or the equipment is tuned and ready to go and is not going to risk a glitch on the Masters for a couple of blue Jay games or phillies games. Bandwidth is not just satellite capacity.

I am speculating. All I know is that the Masters messes things up every year. The thing you refuse to acknowledge.

It is the way it is. Give up. Posting on a message board is not going to change it. You will not get the feeds until you get the feeds.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#26 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,772 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

Just a guess, but probably because there is an SD bandwidth crunch on 101 with MLB, NBA, NHL, and The Masters. If they can't offer the feed in SD then they're probably not going to offer it in HD.

#27 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

what do you think D14 is? and why can't DirecTV add many HD Channels at once? if they add too many before D14 the Channels could become bad quality

Directv also has a SD channel limit as well. Not much SD room left and stuff like getting rid of game lounge maybe opened 2-3 SD slots.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#28 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

Yep!

Same thing every year, and the same clueless rants from the handful of "Usual Suspects" every year.

Never gets old does it?
:rolleyes:
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#29 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

Directv also has a SD channel limit as well. Not much SD room left and stuff like getting rid of game lounge maybe opened 2-3 SD slots.

Lets get rid of all the shopping networks to make room for more sports. LOL
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#30 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

how about just dropping some SD channels that are in HD / moving to MPEG 4 SD.

#31 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,666 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

how about just dropping some SD channels that are in HD / moving to MPEG 4 SD.

If they were to move them to mpeg4 SD, they might as well just drop the SD channel since it takes an HD receiver to get mpeg4.

It doesn't appear they are making that move very quickly even though fios and Comcast are.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#32 OFFLINE   6tv's

6tv's

Mentor

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

LOL You may be laughing, but I think DirecTV should do exactly what you said. I want HRTV, PAC 12, MAV TV, and all the other CSN's. I also wish DirecTV would add CNN International, Wealth TV, ION life, Fashion TV, and many others like Veria Living, Military History, TUFF TV, World Fishing, Funimation, etc. etc. Unfortunately getting DirecTV to add even one of these channels is like pulling you own tooth out. I don't think customers would mind that their bills will go up a little if they see DirecTV actually adding some of these channels, instead of always seeing new infomercial channels popping up.

#33 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

If they were to move them to mpeg4 SD, they might as well just drop the SD channel since it takes an HD receiver to get mpeg4.

It doesn't appear they are making that move very quickly even though fios and Comcast are.

Fios is moveing to HD mpeg4 and comcast maybe for 3d channels.

Also SD only channels do not need to eat the full space of an HD channel.

#34 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,666 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

LOL You may be laughing, but I think DirecTV should do exactly what you said. I want HRTV, PAC 12, MAV TV, and all the other CSN's. I also wish DirecTV would add CNN International, Wealth TV, ION life, Fashion TV, and many others like Veria Living, Military History, TUFF TV, World Fishing, Funimation, etc. etc. Unfortunately getting DirecTV to add even one of these channels is like pulling you own tooth out. I don't think customers would mind that their bills will go up a little if they see DirecTV actually adding some of these channels, instead of always seeing new infomercial channels popping up.

It is a joke because shopping channel PAY to be on. They actually lower your bill.

#35 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,666 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

Fios is moveing to HD mpeg4 and comcast maybe for 3d channels.

Also SD only channels do not need to eat the full space of an HD channel.

Fios is actually slowly moving to mpeg4 HD and swapping boxes to do it. But so far they are mostly moving the mpeg4 to the highest tier and those with lesser packages are just losing channels. Been bleeding for about six months now. A channel here and there. Just bumped espn goal line to highest tier.

As for Sd mpeg4, you suggested it for channels that have HD already. That is actually a waste of bandwidth as those who have mpeg4 receivers can get HD channels so there is no reason to have an sd dupe in mpeg4.

#36 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

At least you get the Padre feeds now? :)

#37 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

can somebody show me where it says that you are "entitied" to every feed for every game. Some people think it is a "right"

Until I see that, folks are just bitching for zero reason

you want other feeds, go get a canuck dish or google "torrent sites" and "streams"

#38 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

can somebody show me where it says that you are "entitied" to every feed for every game. Some people think it is a "right"

Until I see that, folks are just bitching for zero reason

you want other feeds, go get a canuck dish or google "torrent sites" and "streams"

If one is paying however much for EI or MLB.tv without possibility of refund and isn't able to watch the feed of one's choice with reasonable restrictions (i.e. in-market adverts on local RSNs) then complaints are justified. But on the same token, one also has the option not to purchase until the restrictions are somehow eased, like the well documented blackouts of territories claimed by two or more teams and the Fox Saturday Afternoon broadcasts.

I'm actually into my third season of non-purchase of MLBEI and MLB.tv. Since my interest in baseball is starting to wane a bit I'll stick to watching baseball on ESPN, Fox, TBS, and MLB Network.

#39 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,069 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

If one is paying however much for EI or MLB.tv without possibility of refund and isn't able to watch the feed of one's choice with reasonable restrictions (i.e. in-market adverts on local RSNs) then complaints are justified.

They have never claimed you can get all the feeds in the 15+ year history of Extra innings. The only reason why DirecTV has the number of feeds they have is because they already carry those RSNs locally. Unlike Digital cable where both Center Ice and Extra Innings share 14 SD channels and 9 HD channels (if you're lucky enough to have a cable provider who carries all of Sports iNDemand's HD feeds) which have to be shared amongst the feeds of 30 MLB teams and 30 NHL teams on the busiest days of the season.

Read the previous posts, it's not some ripoff, they just don't have the bandwidth to carry every feed this time when NBA, NHL, MLS and MLB are going on, along with the other events that take up the part time feeds. (Test feeds for the Masters, college sports on some of the part time RSNs, etc) Feeds for those events and games where they don't have the opposing team's feed available on one of the RSNs they already carry get priority. Heck this past Saturday they even used the space usually used by some of the PPV and infomercial channels.

Edited by KyL416, 07 April 2013 - 07:29 PM.

#40 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

Yeah, i don't know why people get all uptight about the lack of dual feeds.

It's way better now than it was 10 years ago. There was a lot more games blacked out on Saturdays, and of course everything on Wednesdays.

The only negative I see for EI is the lack of carrying OTA feeds even when there is nothing else available. Of course, I don't know if that's still the case- I haven't had EI in years, but to my knowledge some games still get missed if both teams are on OTA.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...