Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Blue Jays, Phillies, and Astros feeds on Extra Innings

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

At this point most of the televised missing games will be two rsn's that Directv don't carry.

Yeah, i don't know why people get all uptight about the lack of dual feeds.

It's way better now than it was 10 years ago. There was a lot more games blacked out on Saturdays, and of course everything on Wednesdays.

The only negative I see for EI is the lack of carrying OTA feeds even when there is nothing else available. Of course, I don't know if that's still the case- I haven't had EI in years, but to my knowledge some games still get missed if both teams are on OTA.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

At this point most of the televised missing games will be two rsn's that Directv don't carry.

That should be irrelevant, doesn't MLB provide the feeds the last 5 years?

#43 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

MLB doesn't provide anything to Directv. They have to pay for the rights to any feed that is included be it SD or HD. This year is the first time in maybe 5 years that they haven't been included. From what we can tell the limited HD and SD bandwith maybe the reason.

That should be irrelevant, doesn't MLB provide the feeds the last 5 years?

#44 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

we got the Blue Jays feed today

#45 OFFLINE   tecumseh

tecumseh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

I guess I must be starting to have problems with my receiver, because many times already this season, I've been failing to get games remapped to the EI channels. I can find them just fine at their respective local channel locations, but when I look for them remapped, I just get the static Dtv logo and annoying musical accompaniment. Any ideas, other than hardware related, that might explain this?

#46 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

The 'crew' doing EI is a little rough at the start of the season; many games, like you point out, are not either remapped, or remapped incorrectly, of get 'cut off' either while the game is still in progress or simply 'out of the blue', like TB Rays the other day that had a rain delay at Texas, Sun Sports moved the game to another feed during that delay, and then when the game restarted (the FSSW feed was okay) failed to figure out the change.

'Asleep at the Switch'

For all those who like to blame the 'Masters' or whatever for the lack of a couple of non-RSN (or even RSN) feeds, you have to remember: DirecTV has more than enough Ka bandwidth to do SD and HD feeds of at least 10+ football games during the season, WITHOUT resorting to any of the 'tricks' they had to pull in the 'early' years. Tons of bandwidth for use.

It's simply contractual. Therefore, 'SNO' (SportsNet Ontario) games are starting to show up now.

#47 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,926 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

For all those who like to blame the 'Masters' or whatever for the lack of a couple of non-RSN (or even RSN) feeds, you have to remember: DirecTV has more than enough Ka bandwidth to do SD and HD feeds of at least 10+ football games during the season, WITHOUT resorting to any of the 'tricks' they had to pull in the 'early' years. Tons of bandwidth for use.

I take it you don't pay attention to the multiple PPV and Infomercial channels that are off air until 8pm on Sundays during the NFL season. And as has been stated already in this thread, several PPV and Infomercial channels were off air Saturday and several other days during the week.

And if you haven't noticed, there are no NHL and NBA games on right now, Extra Innings only has 4 feeds on right now, 3 of which are 24/7 RSN remaps, and none of the RSN alternates have any programmes scheduled until later tonight.

#48 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

I take it you don't pay attention to the multiple PPV and Infomercial channels that are off air until 8pm on Sundays during the NFL season. And as has been stated already in this thread, several PPV and Infomercial channels were off air Saturday and several other days during the week.

And if you haven't noticed, there are no NHL and NBA games on right now, Extra Innings only has 4 feeds on right now, 3 of which are 24/7 RSN remaps, and none of the RSN alternates have any programmes scheduled until later tonight.

There is still enough bandwidth to do it all. It's just an excuse.

#49 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

There has been no 'shutoffs' of any channels (including PPV) during Sunday Ticket for several years, since the last Ka Sat went up and became fully operational. Anyone who thinks differently simply hasn't been taking notice.

MLB ExInn is, along with Hockey and Basketball, extremely bandwidth efficient, as the bulk of the channels are full-time RSN's, so the occasional 2 or 3 that 'wild' feeds (local broadcasters that carry some games) 'mapped' into a conus feed is barely taking up much of anything.

I'm surprised that tonights Yankees game, which is previous years My9 (local NY/NJ station) that broadcasts some Friday night Yankees games, is nowhere to be found tonight. Did DirecTV or ExInn lose the rights to these games? For the top dollar that YES gets, and the usual howls (screams) that usually happen anything anything happens to the Yankees feeds, I'm watching the MASN feed.

Wonder what happened with that....

#50 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

There has been no 'shutoffs' of any channels (including PPV) during Sunday Ticket for several years, since the last Ka Sat went up and became fully operational. Anyone who thinks differently simply hasn't been taking notice.

MLB ExInn is, along with Hockey and Basketball, extremely bandwidth efficient, as the bulk of the channels are full-time RSN's, so the occasional 2 or 3 that 'wild' feeds (local broadcasters that carry some games) 'mapped' into a conus feed is barely taking up much of anything.

I'm surprised that tonights Yankees game, which is previous years My9 (local NY/NJ station) that broadcasts some Friday night Yankees games, is nowhere to be found tonight. Did DirecTV or ExInn lose the rights to these games? For the top dollar that YES gets, and the usual howls (screams) that usually happen anything anything happens to the Yankees feeds, I'm watching the MASN feed.

some people think its a broadband issue, not a rights issue, i bet after the NHL , NBA season we will get feeds from MY9,SPORT ONE

#51 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:23 PM

Very odd that we didn't get a Yankees feed tonight. Did we get the local Rangers feed tonight vs the Mariners? I have to watch the Root Sports feed as I live in Oregon, so I don't know.

#52 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

The MLB, NBA, and NHL packages themselves are bandwidth efficient, but the RSN's certainly are not, especially at this time of year. Because all three leagues are in season right now, there are numerous games on part-time (alternate) RSN channels. These alt feeds have a very significant impact on the available bandwidth. It also doesn't help that the NHL season had a delayed start, pushing a lot more hockey games into the month of April.

Personally, I think there's more to it than that. I believe the rapid escalation of sports programming costs has something to do with the issue as well. You did not see a big jump in price for MLB EI, did you? How do you expect DirecTV to pay the ever increasing price to import the bonus feeds? DirecTV definitely has to pay for them, and I guarantee you their cost didn't stay the same from last year.

#53 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

Very odd that we didn't get a Yankees feed tonight. Did we get the local Rangers feed tonight vs the Mariners? I have to watch the Root Sports feed as I live in Oregon, so I don't know.

You can look in the guide even if you can't watch.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#54 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

it was announced in the morning the ( Yankees ) MY9 wasn't going to be on direcTV, maybe we will see MY9 games after the NHL,NBA channels are taken down do broadband issue

#55 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

Does Fox ever provide a reason for not showing bonus coverage of games in extra innings after the other 2 games are over? Seems like they would get good ratings by doing it.

#56 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

Does Fox ever provide a reason for not showing bonus coverage of games in extra innings after the other 2 games are over? Seems like they would get good ratings by doing it.

Because the time after 3 hours belongs to the affiliate. As far as I remember, FOX usually does show bonus footage when a game ends very early, but its possible that extra time just goes to the affiliate too. That would make sense, especially in local markets which would have a studio 'postgame show'

#57 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

Yeah, i don't know why people get all uptight about the lack of dual feeds.

The reason fans want dual feeds is that it's a lot more enjoyable to listen to your own team's announcers than the other team's.

I don't believe any bandwidth excuse for MLBEI not including Phillies feeds (or Blue Jays or Astros feeds) thus far.  Today is the first Phillies broadcast carried by MLBEI this year, and it's coming from WPHL-17, their OTA station for many Sunday games.  Checking the guide forward a few days, all Phillies games have only one feed (after that, the whole guide says "To Be Announced" across the board, at least on my guide).  Presumably, none of those are the Phillies' broadcast.

If it were purely a bandwidth issue, why wouldn't the feed deletions be spread around all teams' feeds?  The real reason the Phillies feeds (and Blue Jays and Astros feeds) aren't being carried is because DirecTV still cannot carry CSN Philly, even though that long-running issue was supposed to have finally been resolved recently by a change in the law.  If I understand that recent change correctly, it required CSN Philly to be licensed to the satellite companies at some average/fair/comparable rate, but that hasn't happened yet, for reasons unknown (I've seen rumors that the offered rate hasn't been average/fair/comparable, resulting in an ongoing stalemate).  Alternately, I believe I read somewhere that Comcast and the satellite companies may be awaiting a court decision in another similar (Cablevision/New York?) case before proceeding.  Rogers SportsNet and CSN Houston are also not carried by DirecTV, causing the same situation for Blue Jays and Astros fans.  Perhaps some kind of required extra feed payment to the RSN owners or other financial disincentive for DirecTV relative to non-carried RSN channels is the true underlying reason why all three teams' RSN feeds are not being shown in the DirecTV MLBEI package, so DirecTV minimizes them on purpose.

Maybe at some point a few weeks into every season, fans' complaints to DirecTV and MLB pile up, and/or a single-season contractual arrangement (with Comcast and Rogers) for transmitting the game feeds only within the MLBEI package eventually gets hammered out, and we then end up seeing more of these feeds.

To add a little salt to the wound for Phillies fans today, the game just ended, they announced that the post-game show is coming up next, and the feed immediately cuts off.  Super.  They used to show at least some Phillies post-game shows last year (both from WPHL-17 and the CSN Philly feed).  

Feel a bit better now, having posted my annual early-season rant about this.  Thanks for listening.

#58 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,963 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

The real reason the Phillies feeds (and Blue Jays and Astros feeds) aren't being carried is because DirecTV still cannot carry CSN Philly, even though that long-running issue was supposed to have finally been resolved recently by a change in the law.

That's the real reason, huh? Then, why do the feeds show up later each year?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#59 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

The reason fans want dual feeds is that it's a lot more enjoyable to listen to your own team's announcers than the other team's.

I don't believe any bandwidth excuse for MLBEI not including Phillies feeds (or Blue Jays or Astros feeds) thus far.  Today is the first Phillies broadcast carried by MLBEI this year, and it's coming from WPHL-17, their OTA station for many Sunday games.  Checking the guide forward a few days, all Phillies games have only one feed (after that, the whole guide says "To Be Announced" across the board, at least on my guide).  Presumably, none of those are the Phillies' broadcast.

If it were purely a bandwidth issue, why wouldn't the feed deletions be spread around all teams' feeds?

Feel a bit better now, having posted my annual early-season rant about this.  Thanks for listening.

With the the other feeds they are RSN feeds that D* uses to give peopel in market there games.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#60 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:52 AM

If it were purely a bandwidth issue, why wouldn't the feed deletions be spread around all teams' feeds?  

It is mostly a bandwidth issue. Any channels not already carried require additional bandwidth. So it would not be spread evenly. For example, all oriole and national games not on espn or fox are on MASN and directv carries MASN, so it takes no extra bandwidth to put all their games on EI.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...