Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Blue Jays, Phillies, and Astros feeds on Extra Innings

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

I understand this, but presumably DirecTV wants to provide the best product possible, Phillies feeds were provided last year, and Astros, Phillies and Blue Jays fans didn't pay half price for the MLBEI package.  If feeds for those teams had appeared right away last week once Masters coverage and NBALP shut down (since the presumably required bandwidth apparently became available at that time), we'd have nothing left to discuss here.  But they haven't, although the schedule is showing TBA going forward right now, so maybe we'll get those remaining feeds soon.

Why would they get a discount? They can watch the game on the other feed. Most people don't think it's a big deal. As long as the game is available, that is enough to a reasonable person - to be able to see a game they couldn't otherwise see in their local market, that is the whole point of the package.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#77 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,865 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

Why would they get a discount? They can watch the game on the other feed. Most people don't think it's a big deal. As long as the game is available, that is enough to a reasonable person - to be able to see a game they couldn't otherwise see in their local market, that is the whole point of the package.

I only get hung up on announcers who I particulary don't like (like the White Sox guys or Tim McCarver, but you can't avoid him) or I really do like (Vin Scully). Otherwise, I usually pick the feed that has the better picture (they do vary and not just from 720p to 1080i).

Sometimes you get better information by listening to the opposition. They tell things to their viewers that the local guys may think everyone already knows.

Edited by tonyd79, 22 April 2013 - 01:57 PM.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#78 ONLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 777 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

I only get hung up on announcers who I particulary don't like (like the White Sox guys or Tim McCarver, but you can't avoid him) or I really do like (Vin Scully). Otherwise, I usually pick the feed that has the better picture (they do vary and not just from 720p to 1080i).

Sometimes you get better information by listening to the opposition. They tell things to their viewers that the local guys may think everyone already knows.

Except for the White Sox, who I'll never ever watch, I've been watching any non - FOX feed. The ubiquitous FOX crawl is THAT annoying.

#79 OFFLINE   jhop88

jhop88

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

Live between DC and Bmore...why am I not receiving the Pirates/Phillies game tonight? On the guide, it's listed on 214, but that channel states the game is blacked out. I don't get it.

#80 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

WHERE IS THE PIRATES @ PHILLIES GAME????????????

This is absolutely ridiculous.  There is no feed for this game and I am blacked out of the feed on MLB Network.

THIS PACKAGE IS SUPPPOSED TO INCLUDE EVERY GAME THAT IS NOT IN THE FOX OR ESPN WINDOW!!!!!!

Absolute bush league.

Edited by Eksynyt, 22 April 2013 - 05:56 PM.

#81 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,221 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

WHERE IS THE PIRATES @ PHILLIES GAME????????????

This is absolutely ridiculous.  There is no feed for this game and I am blacked out of the feed on MLB Network.

THIS PACKAGE IS SUPPPOSED TO INCLUDE EVERY GAME THAT IS NOT IN THE FOX OR ESPN WINDOW!!!!!!

Absolute bush league.

Blame MLB Network... This also happens every year. They're carrying 2 games and you only get 1, however it's dumb they chose a game ESPN has.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#82 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

No, I blame DirecTV for NOT PUTTING EITHER THE PHILLIES OR PIRATES FEED ON!!!

#83 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,221 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

No, I blame DirecTV for NOT PUTTING EITHER THE PHILLIES OR PIRATES FEED ON!!!

Is it that serious?

1321930167466447.jpg

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#84 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

Hell yes I Mad.  I pay good money to see all the games.

#85 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,221 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

All games aren't promised.

#86 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

All games aren't promised.

It says they are in the commercials.  And if they don't show a game that there is a feed for, then it's robbery.

#87 OFFLINE   GlennDio

GlennDio

Icon

• Registered
  • 590 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

Except for the White Sox, who I'll never ever watch, I've been watching any non - FOX feed. The ubiquitous FOX crawl is THAT annoying.

I don't mind the white sox announcers that much but I have taken to watching anything but Fox so that I don't have to put up with that crawl ... can somebody tell them we all hate it?  or is there really that much advertising revenue in it that we are now stuck with it forever?

#88 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,221 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

Commercials aren't a contract. Robbery? Seriously? !rolling

You're always complaining about missing feeds. There's no way you watch every feed available everyday.

#89 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

Commercials aren't a contract. Robbery? Seriously? !rolling

You're always complaining about missing feeds. There's no way you watch every feed available everyday.

Yes I do.  I have multiple TVs and have evey game on.  When I can't see a game that I am paying for, I get mad.

Again, no one has answered the question...why is the game not on Extra Innings?

#90 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,221 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

Yes I do.  I have multiple TVs and have evey game on.  When I can't see a game that I am paying for, I get mad.

Again, no one has answered the question...why is the game not on Extra Innings?

Every game is different from what I said... every FEED. How many receivers do you have? 15, 16?

Maybe because it's on MLBN alternate channel regional coverage... just a guess.

#91 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

Every game is different from what I said... every FEED. How many receivers do you have? 15, 16?

Maybe because it's on MLBN alternate channel regional coverage... just a guess.

I have 16 receivers and TVs throughout my house, so I can pick which feed I like for most of the games.  I get the whole thing about not having every feed, even though it ticks me off.  I don't think the MLB network thing is the issue here, because the Yankee game is also on the MLB Network and that's the game I am getting on MLB Network, and I also have access to both of the Yankees and Rays feeds, plus the ESPN feed...it's ridiculous.  I'm guessing the Phillies feed (Coincast Philadelphia) is preventing access to DirecTV as much as possible.  Still, they had that feed last season, so it doesn't make much sense.  Also, do the Pirates not have a broadcast tonight?

#92 ONLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 777 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

OK, this Phillies - Pirates discussion needs a bit of reality.

1) ESPN is showing the Yankees - Rays, with no alternate broadcast. They have nothing to do with the Phils' game.

2) MLBN has no game at all on their schedule for 213.

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...April_Games.jsp

3) Root Pittsburgh is not showing the game live, therefore no typical remap is available.

Oddly, their website says tonight's game is a "Special Root Sports Production on MLB Network". I can only guess Root made a deal with MLBN to show this game to people in Pirates' territory, as they do not have a spillover channel like many other RSN"s and Root is showing the Penguins live.

Why EI subs can't see the feed on MLBN Alt. channel is a mystery to me.

http://pittsburgh.ro...TCLID=205123491

4) As usual, D* is not picking up the CSN Philadelphia feed.

5) Our pal, Eksynyt, will not be happy tomorrow either. The Pirates are not televising at all and the Phillies' CSN feed is not in the Guide. MLBN is showing Cards - Nats or Yanks - Rays.

Other than the above, I don't know anything else.

#93 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,865 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

Where do you get ideas like this? When was that ever stated? I don't tell me commercials. Every one I've seen says "see your team" never see every game.

Edited by tonyd79, 22 April 2013 - 09:07 PM.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#94 OFFLINE   jhop88

jhop88

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:15 PM

I've had MLB Extra Innings on DirecTV for many years, and I know they don't promise EVERY game, but the only blackouts I ever recall were games that started mid-afternoon/early evening on Sundays due to the ESPN Sunday night national game.  

Tonight's game was on MLBN-Alt, and considering I live in the DC area, there was absolutely no reason for this game to be blacked out. Nice job MLB Network and DirecTV!!! (I know someone in Houston who watched the game on Comcast so yes, it was a DirecTV issue)

Edited by jhop88, 22 April 2013 - 09:16 PM.

#95 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

Once I got home mid-evening to catch the last few innings of Phillies-Pirates and saw what was going on, I knew this thread would be a volcano.  Absolutely unbelievable.  The Phillies website shows that CSN Philly carried tonight's game in the Philadelphia market.  The Pirates website shows MLB Network only for its broadcast tonight.  Perfectly believable and understandable that Root Sports Pittsburgh produced the broadcast and MLB Network was picking up the feed (at least for the Pittsburgh market) since the Penguins were on Root Sports Pittsburgh, and they're a top seed in hockey these days. ESPN was not involved in any way, to the best of my knowledge.  Both channels 214 and 214-1 (MLB Network alternate channels, in SD and HD, respectively) were blacked out here in Michigan, and no other channel carrying the game could be found.

I called DirecTV and spoke with a very nice/polite CSR, who unfortunately could not provide an explanation for the situation.  She looked up the game in DirecTV's system, and advised that a very long listing of zip codes was provided (apparently by either MLB, MLB Network, CSN Philly, Root Sports, the Phillies and/or the Pirates) for the blackout.  The zip codes generally began with numbers you would expect for the Pittsburgh DMA, as she said they included lots of 15xxx's, 16xxx's (western PA) and 43xxx's (eastern OH), as if the game were being shown simultaneously by Root Sports Pittsburgh and MLB Network, so of course MLB Network would naturally be blacked out in the Pittsburgh DMA.  She said the highest zip code numbers in the blackout listing were in the 43xxx's.  But Root Sports Pittsburgh wasn't carrying tonight's game, so did somebody simply misassign the blackout for this game or did others just blindly follow an incorrect blackout?  These particular Pittsburgh DMA zip codes listed in the blackout do not seem to indicate a situation where Root Sports Pittsburgh or MLB Network were allowing this game to be shown only within the Pittsburgh DMA, as those zip codes were actually part of the blackout.

The CSR also advised that lots of Philly DMA zip codes were also listed for the MLB-Alternate blackout, including 08xxx's, 18xxx's and 19xxx's for eastern PA, NJ and DE, which would be expected for a game carried by both CSN Philly and MLB Network.  When I asked how the game could be blacked out by DirecTV in zip codes outside those listed, the CSR repeatedly apologized, but could not come up with any explanation, except to advise that the blackouts are put in place by the teams to protect against non-sellouts, etc., stuff I already knew.

So, of course DirecTV doesn't include tonight's CSN Philly feed yet again in the MLBEI package, and the MLB-Alternate feed gets blacked out in areas outside the Philadelphia and Pittsburgh DMAs, so a lot of Phillies and Pirates fans weren't able to see this game tonight.  Looks like it might continue tomorrow night too.  So who's to blame for the continued non-carriage of CSN Philly feeds in the MLBEI package?  We're a week beyond the supposedly opened bandwidth from removal of the Masters and NBA channels, and CSN Philly feeds were shown last year.  And who's to blame for the extended blackout of the MLB Alternate channel tonight beyond its normal limits?  Wondering if a phone call higher up the chain at DirecTV during the daytime tomorrow might bring some attention to this situation.

To those who keep repeating that MLBEI doesn't guarantee every feed, and are arguing over whether it even guarantees that every game will at least be shown, why would you take those positions?  Seriously.  We all know that this is only sports, and not any more than that.  But, as DirecTV enthusiasts participating on this board, wouldn't you want both DirecTV's services and the MLBEI package to be the best they could be?  And wouldn't you recognize that sports enthusiasts subscribe to DirecTV and its sports packages because they believe that DirecTV provides the best sports coverage and they pay a lot of money to subscribe and buy the extra packages so they can enjoy that?  If the situation were reversed, and some of you were missing your games, I'd be annoyed right along with you, and would hope for a resolution as soon as possible.  I'd never try to tell any of you that you were "wrong" for what you prefer to watch.  Don't mean to be mean here, but I just don't understand some of the comments I've read in this thread.

Sorry for the rant; just very disappointed tonight...

#96 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,481 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

Tonight's game was on MLBN-Alt, and considering I live in the DC area, there was absolutely no reason for this game to be blacked out. Nice job MLB Network and DirecTV!!! (I know someone in Houston who watched the game on Comcast so yes, it was a DirecTV issue)

iNDemand had the CSN Philly feed, they didn't use the MLB Network alternate. (It should also be noted that Comcast is part owner of iNDemand) Ask your friend what he thinks tommorow when the Atlanta/Colorado game is joined in progress since it's sharing a channel with the Boston/Oakland game and later this week when multiple games that start at 10pm are also joined in progress.

And as of now the latest schedule for iNDemand shows that they have no coverage of Pittsburgh/Philly tommorow either since the Boston attack resulted in a shuffle where Friday's Penguins/Bruins game was moved to Saturday, and Saturday's Sabres/Penguins game was moved to tommorow so Root bumped the Pirates from their schedule. They're not picking up the CSN Philly feed as a replacement since they gave the channel slot to the MASN2 feed of Toronto/Baltimore game, a game which they weren't going to carry at all until space freed up from Root cancelling their coverage of the Pirates game.

As for MLB Network, MLB Network's affiliate site indicates the game was only available in the Pirates territory. (MLB Network was basically the RSN overflow for Root Pittsburgh) I don't live in Pittsburgh so I can't confirm what actually happened for viewers in the area, I'm guessing the CSR was confused and read the blackout list as if it was as a game that was available nationally with local blackouts instead of what it actually was. As for why DirecTV didn't provide that feed for Extra Innings, I don't have an answer for that one.

Edited by KyL416, 22 April 2013 - 09:51 PM.

#97 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,867 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:49 PM

5) Our pal, Eksynyt, will not be happy tomorrow either. The Pirates are not televising at all and the Phillies' CSN feed is not in the Guide.

The game is on TCN in Philly and KDKA in Pittsburgh. Don't know why D* couldn't use the KDKA feed for the game.

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 22 April 2013 - 09:52 PM.

#98 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,481 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

The game is on TCN in Philly and KDKA in Pittsburgh. Don't know why D* couldn't use the KDKA feed for the game.

According to Root, there is no local TV coverage of the game. Where did you see that KDKA would be airing it?
http://pittsburgh.ro...TCLID=205123491

#99 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,867 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

According to Root, there is no local TV coverage of the game. Where did you see that KDKA would be airing it?http://pittsburgh.ro...TCLID=205123491

My bad, I was looking at the schedule here and saw their radio feed thinking it was TV.

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 22 April 2013 - 10:17 PM.

#100 OFFLINE   jhop88

jhop88

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

iNDemand had the CSN Philly feed, they didn't use the MLB Network alternate. (It should also be noted that Comcast is part owner of iNDemand) Ask your friend what he thinks tommorow when the Atlanta/Colorado game is joined in progress since it's sharing a channel with the Boston/Oakland game and later this week when multiple games that start at 10pm are also joined in progress.

And as of now the latest schedule for iNDemand shows that they have no coverage of Pittsburgh/Philly tommorow either since the Boston attack resulted in a shuffle where Friday's Penguins/Bruins game was moved to Saturday, and Saturday's Sabres/Penguins game was moved to tommorow so Root bumped the Pirates from their schedule. They're not picking up the CSN Philly feed as a replacement since they gave the channel slot to the MASN2 feed of Toronto/Baltimore game, a game which they weren't going to carry at all until space freed up from Root cancelling their coverage of the Pirates game.

As for MLB Network, MLB Network's affiliate site indicates the game was only available in the Pirates territory. (MLB Network was basically the RSN overflow for Root Pittsburgh) I don't live in Pittsburgh so I can't confirm what actually happened for viewers in the area, I'm guessing the CSR was confused and read the blackout list as if it was as a game that was available nationally with local blackouts instead of what it actually was. As for why DirecTV didn't provide that feed for Extra Innings, I don't have an answer for that one.

My pt regarding a buddy in Houston getting the game was that he also has Extra Innings, but his package is through Comcast...and he got the game. This was a DirecTV issue...not the 1st time they screwed something up.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...