Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Blue Jays, Phillies, and Astros feeds on Extra Innings

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

That's the real reason, huh? Then, why do the feeds show up later each year?

I think one possibility is because, each year, a few weeks into the season, DirecTV/MLBEI and Comcast (and DirecTV/MLBEI and Rogers) hammer out a single-season agreement for DirecTV/MLBEI to include feeds in the MLBEI package from non-carried RSNs.  This may or may not be the result of, or at least partially influenced by, complaints from fans to DirecTV, Major League Baseball, Comcast and Rogers over the first few weeks of the season.  Another possibility could be that an agreement to carry game feeds from non-carried RSNs in the MLBEI package is already in place at the beginning of each season, but it requires additional per-game payments from DirecTV/MLBEI to the non-carried RSNs, which DirecTV/MLBEI want to minimize as much as possible.  Either way, the underlying cause is the continuing non-carriage of CSN Philly by DirecTV, in my view.  Of course, this is only my view, and it could certainly be wrong.

I understand that adding feeds to MLBEI for games not already being carried by the full-time RSN feed for that particular team requires additional bandwidth.  But I can't make any sense otherwise about a first-for-the-season Phillies broadcast finally appearing yesterday on MLBEI on a day when the Phillies broadcast just happened to be carried OTA-only by WPHL-17 (and also by the Marlins network as a dual feed), while all previous games and the next several upcoming games, which are all CSN Philly broadcasts, are not shown on MLBEI.  The coincidence is simply too remarkable to believe that DirecTV somehow just happened to find sufficient bandwidth on that one day only to add a Phillies broadcast in an otherwise supposedly continuously bandwidth-crunched environment (from MLBEI, NBALP, NHLCI and Masters coverage all running at the same time).

In any event, hoping that this situation gets resolved shortly, with plenty of Phillies (and Astros and Blue Jays) feeds being shown, so everyone can enjoy their own team's broadcast.

Edited by gcd0865, 15 April 2013 - 10:29 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

The reason fans want dual feeds is that it's a lot more enjoyable to listen to your own team's announcers than the other team's.

I highly disagree, I listen to the other teams announcers every chance I get. :) This often isn't possible due to blackout rules, but over the years DirecTV has forgot to black out a feed or whatever.

#63 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

Dual feeds were launched by D* a couple of years ago as a courtesy and to make the product even better.  It is correct that since day one it has been stated they (dual feeds) are not guaranteed for every game, and in fact for years were not even provided as part of MLB EI.

For the Blue Jays games, we haven't had the capacity all the time to carry the games.  So it depends if the capacity is there as that is an incremental feed.  Same for Phillies and Astros.  Sigma is correct.  I believe some of those feeds have already been carried this year for some games, but you'll see them more often typically in the Summer when MLB is basically the only sport going on and capacity changes a bit.

• sigma1914 and Jimmy 440 like this
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#64 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

Thanks SR for explaining the real deal.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#65 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

Hopefully SR is right and we start to see these feeds after the NBA season is over.

#66 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

So we have gotten the Astros and Blue Jays feeds finally, but still no Phillies feed. Looks like the evil Coincast empire is doing everything they can to prevent any CSN Philly property ever being on DirecTV. Congrefs really needs to step in and put an end to Comcast forever.

#67 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,486 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

So we have gotten the Astros and Blue Jays feeds finally, but still no Phillies feed. Looks like the evil Coincast empire is doing everything they can to prevent any CSN Philly property ever being on DirecTV. Congrefs really needs to step in and put an end to Comcast forever.

I'm not seeing those. What games are they?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#68 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

Checked my on-screen guide and didn't notice any upcoming Phillies games with dual feeds, although the schedule is only available for a few days forward right now.  Tonight's game is only a single feed (at http://www.directv.c...s/mlb_schedules), which in the past has been the other team's feed.  Both Phillies night games this weekend are on national tv (MLB Network and ESPN, respectively), so they wouldn't be included in the MLBEI package.

The InDemand version of the MLBEI schedule (which I think is only for cable companies where they apparently don't have dual feeds, but instead switch back and forth among the feeds) does show a "CSN-P" for tonight's game, and three more next week: http://www.indemand....090422124838930.

Don't know whether that translates into some Phillies feeds being shown on DirecTV's version of MLBEI or not.  I suppose if the CSN Philly feed is shown for three upcoming games on MLBEI-cable but not on DirecTV, we'll know more, since the Masters channels were removed from DirecTV's lineup and three former NBA channels were remapped to MLB by Tuesday (4/16) (per http://www.dbstalk.c...ting/?p=3122382).  Fingers crossed.

#69 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 514 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

I'm not seeing those. What games are they?

we got the Jays feed once, about a week ago a day game vs Detroit, but Haven't seen any Houston Broadcast

#70 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

we got the Jays feed once, about a week ago a day game vs Detroit, but Haven't seen any Houston Broadcast

Nope, we got one Astros feed a few days ago vs the Athletics when the As were on their local channel only.

However, we did not get the Astros, Phillies, or Blue Jays feeds today.  This is completely unacceptable.

#71 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

Nope, we got one Astros feed a few days ago vs the Athletics when the As were on their local channel only.

However, we did not get the Astros, Phillies, or Blue Jays feeds today.  This is completely unacceptable.

The A's don't have a local channel. If it was a weekday day game, they don't televise those.

#72 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Checked my on-screen guide and didn't notice any upcoming Phillies games with dual feeds, although the schedule is only available for a few days forward right now.  Tonight's game is only a single feed (at http://www.directv.c...s/mlb_schedules), which in the past has been the other team's feed.  Both Phillies night games this weekend are on national tv (MLB Network and ESPN, respectively), so they wouldn't be included in the MLBEI package.

The InDemand version of the MLBEI schedule (which I think is only for cable companies where they apparently don't have dual feeds, but instead switch back and forth among the feeds) does show a "CSN-P" for tonight's game, and three more next week: http://www.indemand....090422124838930.

Don't know whether that translates into some Phillies feeds being shown on DirecTV's version of MLBEI or not.  I suppose if the CSN Philly feed is shown for three upcoming games on MLBEI-cable but not on DirecTV, we'll know more, since the Masters channels were removed from DirecTV's lineup and three former NBA channels were remapped to MLB by Tuesday (4/16) (per http://www.dbstalk.c...ting/?p=3122382).  Fingers crossed.

The link you gave shows that 3 channels went from MLB to NBA.

#73 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

This seems like a bit of an overreaction. As stated earlier, dual feeds are provided as a courtesy, not a necessity, and they will most likely appear when more bandwidth frees up...

#74 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 670 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

Two HD feeds today for Sunday's Yankees - Blue Jays , but no WPIX feed for the Mets.

#75 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

The link you gave shows that 3 channels went from MLB to NBA.

Not entirely sure about Sixto's explanation of the recent changes, since 3 channels going from MLB to NBA wouldn't make sense with the NBA season ending.  747, 748 and 749 are now showing up as MLBEI channels on my guide.

This seems like a bit of an overreaction. As stated earlier, dual feeds are provided as a courtesy, not a necessity, and they will most likely appear when more bandwidth frees up...

I understand this, but presumably DirecTV wants to provide the best product possible, Phillies feeds were provided last year, and Astros, Phillies and Blue Jays fans didn't pay half price for the MLBEI package.  If feeds for those teams had appeared right away last week once Masters coverage and NBALP shut down (since the presumably required bandwidth apparently became available at that time), we'd have nothing left to discuss here.  But they haven't, although the schedule is showing TBA going forward right now, so maybe we'll get those remaining feeds soon.

Edited by gcd0865, 22 April 2013 - 10:22 AM.

#76 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

I understand this, but presumably DirecTV wants to provide the best product possible, Phillies feeds were provided last year, and Astros, Phillies and Blue Jays fans didn't pay half price for the MLBEI package.  If feeds for those teams had appeared right away last week once Masters coverage and NBALP shut down (since the presumably required bandwidth apparently became available at that time), we'd have nothing left to discuss here.  But they haven't, although the schedule is showing TBA going forward right now, so maybe we'll get those remaining feeds soon.

Why would they get a discount? They can watch the game on the other feed. Most people don't think it's a big deal. As long as the game is available, that is enough to a reasonable person - to be able to see a game they couldn't otherwise see in their local market, that is the whole point of the package.

#77 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,486 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

Why would they get a discount? They can watch the game on the other feed. Most people don't think it's a big deal. As long as the game is available, that is enough to a reasonable person - to be able to see a game they couldn't otherwise see in their local market, that is the whole point of the package.

I only get hung up on announcers who I particulary don't like (like the White Sox guys or Tim McCarver, but you can't avoid him) or I really do like (Vin Scully). Otherwise, I usually pick the feed that has the better picture (they do vary and not just from 720p to 1080i).

Sometimes you get better information by listening to the opposition. They tell things to their viewers that the local guys may think everyone already knows.

Edited by tonyd79, 22 April 2013 - 01:57 PM.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#78 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 670 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

I only get hung up on announcers who I particulary don't like (like the White Sox guys or Tim McCarver, but you can't avoid him) or I really do like (Vin Scully). Otherwise, I usually pick the feed that has the better picture (they do vary and not just from 720p to 1080i).

Sometimes you get better information by listening to the opposition. They tell things to their viewers that the local guys may think everyone already knows.

Except for the White Sox, who I'll never ever watch, I've been watching any non - FOX feed. The ubiquitous FOX crawl is THAT annoying.

#79 OFFLINE   jhop88

jhop88

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

Live between DC and Bmore...why am I not receiving the Pirates/Phillies game tonight? On the guide, it's listed on 214, but that channel states the game is blacked out. I don't get it.

#80 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

WHERE IS THE PIRATES @ PHILLIES GAME????????????

This is absolutely ridiculous.  There is no feed for this game and I am blacked out of the feed on MLB Network.

THIS PACKAGE IS SUPPPOSED TO INCLUDE EVERY GAME THAT IS NOT IN THE FOX OR ESPN WINDOW!!!!!!

Absolute bush league.

Edited by Eksynyt, 22 April 2013 - 05:56 PM.

spam firewall