Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Blue Jays, Phillies, and Astros feeds on Extra Innings

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,763 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

Seriously? I let the programming guide do it's normal "searching for this game on another channel," and it came back with "sorry, this game isn't available on another channel." SMH

Based on this schedule it was. http://www.nbcsports...com/id/50443039

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,627 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

It was blacked out, but someone said on here the MLBN-Alt broadcast was only for those in the Pittsburgh area...I ask why?

Who said you were supposed to get it? The MLB channel splits the country and you only get one feed at a time. Who gets what is up to MLB. Not directv and not cable.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#123 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,627 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

Seriously? I let the programming guide do it's normal "searching for this game on another channel," and it came back with "sorry, this game isn't available on another channel." SMH

Doesn't always work. Try the score guide. Not perfect but works better than the search.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#124 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

It was blacked out, but someone said on here the MLBN-Alt broadcast was only for those in the Pittsburgh area...I ask why?

If a game isn't listed on 721-749 it isn't part of extra innings. Root Pittsburgh doesn't have an overflow channel so in market they got it on the MLB Network, it wasn't a national game. They did it for 2 other games this season too, however in those cases they were facing a team who's RSN was carried by DirecTV.
http://pittsburgh.ro...TCLID=205123491

And again, tonight NONE of the Extra Innings providers are carrying the game. You know that thing that happened last week in Boston that was all over the news? It created a domino effect where Friday's Bruins/Penguins game was moved to Saturday and Saturday's Sabres/Penguins game was moved to tonight head to head with a Pirates game. Root dropped TV coverage of the Pirates game entirely because they couldn't rely on MLB Network since they have the national rights to Tuesday night games. A late season NHL game gets priority over an early season MLB game.

As for why DirecTV didn't use the MLB Network alternate for Extra Innings that could be any number of reasons from something contractual (i.e. MLB Network could have only gave DirecTV the local rights and they couldn't use it for E/I if they wanted to, which places the blame on MLB Network and/or MLB), as you seem to think a mistake by DirecTV (i.e. since this was a unique situation where the MLB Network alternate was only available locally as opposed to what it usually is, a game only available to viewers in the markets of the teams playing on the main feed and didn't think of using it, then of course it would be DirecTV's fault), or any other behind the scenes reason. That's all just speculation though, only someone in the know at DirecTV like SatelliteRacer could give a definitive answer to why they didn't use the feed.

And to anyone questioning the bandwidth crunch, press the guide button and browse channels 70-99 and notice how many infomercial channels that are off air (the channels that pay DirecTV to be on the lineup), then browse all the RSN alternates that currently have games on or had games on earlier tonight. If you look at gct's transponder map and compare the transponders and VPIDs to the ones currently used by the alternates using the SHEF IP commands, you would see where they're in use. The amount of HD space available doesn't matter, if you haven't noticed by now DirecTV doesn't have games as HD exclusives, just Strike Zone and the Game Mix. RSN alternates get priority first, then the rest go to RSNs not carried by DirecTV, regional OTA network feeds and Canadian feeds if any space is available. In times like this where nearly every RSN alternate is active since both NHL and MLB are in regular season along with local post season NBA coverage, feeds of late season NHL games with playoff births on the line get priority over early season MLB. Looking at the schedule though there weren't any extra NHL games either, which also points to the bandwidth crunch as the reason for the lack of those extra feeds the past few nights.

Sadly the SD bandwidth crunch will probably get worse if DirecTV comes to a deal with Pac 12 (who insists on having multiple channels), Longhorn Network and the other missing RSNs since there is no way they will agree to HD only distribution. Not to mention the future TWC Dodgers channel and the SEC Network who will probably want SD distribution too. It will make the extra feeds even rarer.
  • TJNash likes this

#125 OFFLINE   jhop88

jhop88

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

Who said you were supposed to get it? The MLB channel splits the country and you only get one feed at a time. Who gets what is up to MLB. Not directv and not cable.

Why did only those in Pittsburgh get it?

#126 OFFLINE   jhop88

jhop88

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

As for the reason the Phils broadcast isn't on DirecTV EI, I did some research and as usual, it appears a grudge match between DirecTV and CSN Philly is keeping DirecTV from carrying that channel. DirecTV, pay the friggin price and start carrying CSN Philly.

#127 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

Why did only those in Pittsburgh get it?

Until we know otherwise, because the Pirates negotiated with MLBN to carry that broadcast within Pittsburgh.

#128 OFFLINE   jhop88

jhop88

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

Until we know otherwise, because the Pirates negotiated with MLBN to carry that broadcast within Pittsburgh.

I guess I'm crazy to think that those of us who paid for EI and a DirecTV package that includes MLBN should've received the game on MLBN.

#129 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

As for the reason the Phils broadcast isn't on DirecTV EI, I did some research and as usual, it appears a grudge match between DirecTV and CSN Philly is keeping DirecTV from carrying that channel. DirecTV, pay the friggin price and start carrying CSN Philly.

It's a lot more than that, and it's not DirecTV's fault. To sum it up, until the mid 90s there used to be a SportsChannel Philadelphia which DirecTV did carry and PRISM which used a terrestrial loophole to prevent satellite carriage. Comcast came along, became the dominant cable provider in the market by purchasing all the smaller cable operators in the region like Suburban Cable. Merged the channels, shutdown SportsChannel Philly and used PRISM's microwave and fiber network to launch CSN Philly and refused to grant either satellite provider the rights. The loophole was eventually closed as part of the terms of the NBC takeover, however that doesn't dictate the price, which Comcast jacked up to keep their stranglehold on the Philly market. And to make matters worse, in instances where other RSNs are more than willing to not carry a game locally when NBC Sports Network is producing a game on non-exclusive nights, CSN Philly insists on providing their local coverage forcing an in market blackout of the few Flyers games satellite viewers in Philly would otherwise get.

That only applies to local in market rights though, DirecTV can and has in the past used the CSN Philly feed for out of market packages whenever there's no other feed available. However like I said there's a bandwidth crunch when it comes to part time feeds. There's a reason why DirecTV is dipping into the infomercial channels (which pay to be on the lineup) for RSN alternates and didn't even carry any extra NHL feeds for the past few nights.

Edited by KyL416, 23 April 2013 - 09:53 PM.

• TJNash likes this

#130 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,627 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:41 AM

I guess I'm crazy to think that those of us who paid for EI and a DirecTV package that includes MLBN should've received the game on MLBN.

MLB network games are NOT part of the EI package. Why would this one be?
  • TJNash likes this

#131 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

i got question and i didn't want to a new open topic but the xBox 360 was give away MLB.TV free this weekend, on the 360 or PS3 can change the broadcast just like on the computer? and can you watch 4 games at once?

#132 OFFLINE   NYMase

NYMase

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

Does anyone know why Extra Innings isn't carrying the Mets WPIX feed?  Typically the weekend games are on WPIX and they carried those games last year and the year before...None of the WPIX Mets games have been on Extra Innings this year...Does anyone know anything about it or a possible timeline to start carrying those games again?

Edited by NYMase, 28 April 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#133 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

Question on this entire topic:  Are there two issues at play here in terms of Directv offering extra feeds?

We know that bandwidth is the number one reason why there aren't multiple feeds being offered. But let's ignore that and assume it's late June and no other sporting events are going on besides baseball. 

My question: Does Directv have to reach a separate deal with each of these feeds to carry the broadcast, or does MLB require they be made available to Extra Innings distributors just like all feeds are part of MLB.TV?  (Does Directv have to pay Rogers Sportsnet, WPIX, etc. to carry these extra feeds, and if so, how much?)

#134 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

Does anyone know why Extra Innings isn't carrying the Mets WPIX feed?  Typically the weekend games are on WPIX and they carried those games last year and the year before...None of the WPIX Mets games have been on Extra Innings this year...Does anyone know anything about it or a possible timeline to start carrying those games again?

no, it's the bandwidth problem, i think after the NHL channels come down you will see them, WPIX,MY9 games

#135 OFFLINE   NYMase

NYMase

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

no, it's the bandwidth problem, i think after the NHL channels come down you will see them, WPIX,MY9 games

Ok, that makes sense...Thanks for your help

#136 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

That still isn't explaining why we aren't seeing any CSN Philly games.

#137 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

That still isn't explaining why we aren't seeing any CSN Philly games.

NBA and NHL round 1 still has RSN's needs.

also NBC Sports channel has a ALT slot as well.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#138 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

NBA and NHL round 1 still has RSN's needs.

also NBC Sports channel has a ALT slot as well.

Except NBCSN Alt wasn't used last night so they're obviously not using that this season.  Also, there shouldn't be enough games  in the NBA and NHL every night to use up all of the bandwidth, as there's only what, 3 or 4 feeds they have to worry about any given night, and almost all of them are remaps of RSNs that DirecTV already carries.

I'm guessing Comcast is just doing everything they can to hassle DirecTV like usual.

#139 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

Also, for those wondering where Pirates-Brewers is, the game is on Root Sports Pittsburgh right now.  For some reason they don't have it in the Extra Innings channels, but at least those of us with the sports pack can get it.

#140 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

Is anyone else having problems getting the Extra Innings channels to come up?  The HD channels simply never come on for me anymore and always show the DirecTV logo.  I can only watch the games on the teams' RSNs.  Why is this happening?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...