Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Direct TV MDU

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TheMowMan

TheMowMan

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

Ok so here is my question.

I just moved to an apartment complex. I have to call a separate company to come out and hook up my directv cause it is an mdu. I called the company that the apartment complex uses and they want $50 bucks per box. I have 3.

Is there anyway that I can hook this up myself. Directly under the dish here is the panel and what is in there. I am just not sure what goes where and if it is that simple as me just hooking up the wire. I have error 771A on my screen right now.

See photos of the panel.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 877 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

You should not mess with any of that. I am surprised the box was even unlocked.

#3 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

Here is my take on this.

First off you are in an MDU, (multi dwelling unit), that is serviced by a third party. This is normal for MDU's.

You say you are getting a 771A error, this is normal, as your main feed has been disconnected from the dish.

Second you opened the equepiment box (WHY?) and from what I see here, this is a system that YOU THE USER can not just plug into, as there should be other equipment to go with this to feed your recievers.

Now you say you have 3 reciever's, what model as that will determain what extra equipment is needed if any.

It is also normal that third party providers charge between $50 and $75 to do installs.

I have never heard of $50 per reciever.

You have two choice's, 1) work with the provider about the fee's and get it installed,
2) due without, (or relocate)

Not trying to be smart^%^&%

Good luck

#4 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

First off, I will agree with west99999 in that that box is not yours to mess with. Second, there is nothing for you to hook up in there. There is a dish feed a single SWM8 with one output being used. That line just goes into the conduit on the right. You do not know how many tuners are already assigned to that SWM8. At least he prepared for expansion with the SWM-E4 so it will be fairly easy to set you up.

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   TheMowMan

TheMowMan

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I just saw the box was unlocked and thought maybe there was something simple I could do in there. Yeah there are 2 feeds I guess going into another box next to it that is the same size. Now it is nicely locked up. I didn't mess with that. I just hate to have to pay $50 bucks each. But I will if I have to.

I went and looked at the boxes that are hooked up in the workout rooms and they are just hooked directly into the wall. Unless there is something somewhere else.

#6 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I just saw the box was unlocked and thought maybe there was something simple I could do in there. Yeah there are 2 feeds I guess going into another box next to it that is the same size. Now it is nicely locked up. I didn't mess with that. I just hate to have to pay $50 bucks each. But I will if I have to.

I went and looked at the boxes that are hooked up in the workout rooms and they are just hooked directly into the wall. Unless there is something somewhere else.

Yeah, bite the bullet. You mess something up and you will wear out your welcome at your new community pretty quick. This way you get you need, you get a warranty and you don't wreck the Welcome Wagon.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#7 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

Ok so here is my question.

I just moved to an apartment complex. I have to call a separate company to come out and hook up my directv cause it is an mdu. I called the company that the apartment complex uses and they want $50 bucks per box. I have 3.

Is there anyway that I can hook this up myself. Directly under the dish here is the panel and what is in there. I am just not sure what goes where and if it is that simple as me just hooking up the wire. I have error 771A on my screen right now.

You're living in a complex with a contracted, 3rd party provider for tv services..new customer orders, fees and charges are typically based on credit history. There is no getting around the charges, nor the physical install. After 12mths (possibly 6mths), you may qualify for some additional discounts or promos. Can call 800-531-5000 at that time to inquire.

Good luck!

-=K=-

#8 OFFLINE   TheMowMan

TheMowMan

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

I appreciate all the info.

I have one more question. They want to charge me $50 bucks per box. If I have them do 1 box will all the coax be hot since they hook it up from outside. All I would need to do at that point is just hook up the boxes in the other room.

For example the living area and bedroom back up against each other. The outlet for the coax is on the same wall and lined up with each other strait through if you know what I mean.

Jason

#9 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

Might not be enough tuner capacity if they don't know where you're headed.

$50/box is more than I'd charge, but having it all done and done right is worth something.

#10 OFFLINE   bigglebowski

bigglebowski

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

While it may be higher than some other MDU operators but I would imagine that most of the $50 per receiver charge is the expansion of the swm distribution system inside those enclosures. SWMs, taps, amps, power supplies etc...

#11 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

First off, I will agree with west99999 in that that box is not yours to mess with. Second, there is nothing for you to hook up in there. There is a dish feed a single SWM8 with one output being used. That line just goes into the conduit on the right. You do not know how many tuners are already assigned to that SWM8. At least he prepared for expansion with the SWM-E4 so it will be fairly easy to set you up.

Actually it appears to be two SWiM-8s stacked on atop the other on the left side (looking down at the photo) of the E2 expander. There's also an unused NAS PI-6S polarity locker in the upper right with four patch cables hanging loose.

But anyhow, you are correct, there is nothing which can be simply hooked up in that IDF panel even if the TS had the authority to do so. From the photos apparently the TS is going to need a third SWiM-8 module installed in one of the available slots on the right side of the E2 and a coax cable run from it through that conduit to a SWiM splitter in his living unit. A second power adapter for the two open slots of the E2 appears to be already installed.

EDIT: That is, the above is assuming its 8 SWiM channels assigned per dwelling unit. If its say only four SWiM channels then another SWiM-8 switch may or may not be necessary and you can forget about installing any Genies at this MDU.

Edited by HoTat2, 09 April 2013 - 02:38 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,249 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

Another possible solution: Do you have LOS from an exclusive use area (like a balcony)? If so, you might be able to install your own dish and you might be able to use DirecTV's Movers Connection and get it all done for free. You won't win any friends with management, but it could be an option.

#13 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:29 AM

Another possible solution: Do you have LOS from an exclusive use area (like a balcony)? If so, you might be able to install your own dish and you might be able to use DirecTV's Movers Connection and get it all done for free. You won't win any friends with management, but it could be an option.

OTARD doesn't protect you when there is a common dish for the property unless that dish doesn't provide same level of service. So if the complex wanted to they could tell him to remove a dish that would typically be protected. Also directv directly isn't supposed to setup and work order types on MDU properties, once it's MDU that building is off limits to directv and all service is referred to MDU administrator.

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#14 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

OTARD doesn't protect you when there is a common dish for the property unless that dish doesn't provide same level of service. So if the complex wanted to they could tell him to remove a dish that would typically be protected. Also directv directly isn't supposed to setup and work order types on MDU properties, once it's MDU that building is off limits to directv and all service is referred to MDU administrator.

True, as long as it is from a provider the customer wants. If it's a Directv dish and he wants Dish, he can have his own dish. That's not the case here, obviously.

#15 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,249 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

OTARD doesn't protect you when there is a common dish for the property unless that dish doesn't provide same level of service.

Unless the MDU is more expensive.

Q: If my association, building management, landlord, or property owner provides a central antenna, may I install an individual antenna?

A: Generally, the availability of a central antenna may allow the association, landlord, property owner, or other management entity to restrict the installation by individuals of antennas otherwise protected by the rule. Restrictions based on the availability of a central antenna will generally be permissible provided that: .... (3) the costs associated with the use of the central antenna are not greater than the costs of installation, maintenance and use of an individual antenna covered under the rule; ...

If the OP can argue that the $50 per box installation is more expensive than what he can do, then he might have another option.

#16 OFFLINE   TheMowMan

TheMowMan

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

The apartment complex will not let me put up my own dish. However I see 3 dishes on my unit. I think they actually use 3 per building. I don't know much about this stuff but they have 3 separate LNB's I think they are called on the dish rather all in one. Like this 000 instead of 3 coming into one 0.

#17 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

FYI, the Slimline SL5 dish has three LNB assemblies and so does the older Phase III dish.
But, obviously this is the Slimline SL5 SWM setup.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

spam firewall