Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie/RVU questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tabush

tabush

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

I'm pretty technical, but have been out of the dbstalk look for a while now.

My current setup is a HR-24 with 5 HD receivers throughout the home, all networked via 10/100 Cat-5e, and whole-home DVR service. I love the ability to have one central DVR through the house, and my kids can't imagine life without it.

I just saw a commercial for the new Genie receiver today, started looking online, and have a few questions. Any advice/answers would be appreciated.

1. It seems that the Genie is a 5-tuner receiver with a few extra bells and whistles and maybe a better UI than the previous devices. Correct?

2. How much storage capacity does it have?

3. How does it connect to other devices throughout the house? Cat-5e? Moca (is Moca even good)?

4. What's the deal with RVU? Does an RVU-enabled TV mean that the TV can communicate with the Genie via Coax or Cat-5 without a dedicated receiver on the TV? What about remote commands - do I get a DTV remote for each TV and the commands are relayed through the network?

5. Does DTV charge the same $6 per TV even with RVU and no box?

I ask because I'm moving to a new house soon (already built) and will need to do wiring for network and TV... and will be buying new TV's... want to plan accordingly.

thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,108 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

I'm pretty technical, but have been out of the dbstalk look for a while now.

My current setup is a HR-24 with 5 HD receivers throughout the home, all networked via 10/100 Cat-5e, and whole-home DVR service. I love the ability to have one central DVR through the house, and my kids can't imagine life without it.

I just saw a commercial for the new Genie receiver today, started looking online, and have a few questions. Any advice/answers would be appreciated.

1. It seems that the Genie is a 5-tuner receiver with a few extra bells and whistles and maybe a better UI than the previous devices. Correct?

The UI is the same.

2. How much storage capacity does it have?

1TB.

3. How does it connect to other devices throughout the house? Cat-5e? Moca (is Moca even good)?

Coax.

4. What's the deal with RVU? Does an RVU-enabled TV mean that the TV can communicate with the Genie via Coax or Cat-5 without a dedicated receiver on the TV? What about remote commands - do I get a DTV remote for each TV and the commands are relayed through the network?

Yes. The TV remote should be able to work the Genie if it followed the RVU protocol.

5. Does DTV charge the same $6 per TV even with RVU and no box?

RVU set is the same charge.

I ask because I'm moving to a new house soon (already built) and will need to do wiring for network and TV... and will be buying new TV's... want to plan accordingly.

thanks.

Note: So far, the smallest RVU set I seen are 46".
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,921 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

• yes
  • 1 TB verses 500 GB
  • MoCA/DECA, but ethernet can be used "unsupported"
  • RVU is different than MRV, in that the server sends the whole GUI to the client, which can be "just a TV" if it supports RVU.
  • yes

A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,300 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

But when it comes to external storage, it supports much more. All the others are limited to 2tb, the Genie has no current limit.

However, keep in mind that if the Genie has to be replaced, recordings on the external are not playable (except possibly things recorded with an AM21.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...