Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New self-install H/J cable testing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 881 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

New purchased Hopper and Joey arriving Tuesday and I have a couple of questions:

1. Does the Hopper need to be activated before installing the Joey? I've read that the Hopper needs to be activated first and also read that both should be installed before activating. Seems like either way would work but makes more sense to me to install both before calling for activation.

2. I will be calling Dish for the install by them of a second Hopper/Joey but want to test the other cable run(s) first. Can I move the Hopper I install to the other room to test that cable before calling to activate it?

Cable runs in this house are a nightmare so I want to verify the second cable run will work for the second Hopper before calling Dish for activation of the first stage of my installation and ordering the Hopper/Joey install.

Final system will be two Hoppers, two Joeys and a VIP211K for tailgating. I already have a DPP44 switch for keeping the 211K active and up to date firmware wise.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

The way I understand it, the 1st Hopper should be activated before any Joeys but it sounds like you already have that and 2nd Hopper or Joeys don't matter as any Joeys activated afterwards can be joined to the 1st Hopper while 2nd is going through the activation process. Moving the 1st Hopper to the 2nd Hopper location should work to test the wires.

Just a note since you didn't mention it, don't forget you need to change the solo node with a duo node before you test the new location.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

all cables from Node (Dual for 2xH) should be 3 GHz certified [RG-6], for connecting Js the cable could be cheaper - RG-59

Edited by P Smith, 07 April 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

well, watching different mechanics, ummm techs, without knowledge how the devices (car engine) working is not that experience what should be posed as knowledge to post it here

do reading more, read at www.dishuser.org/hopper.php, gather facts about freqs in each cable leg, functioning nodes, boxes [H and J] ... it will help you do educational guesses and stay on real ground ;)

#5 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 881 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

Moving the 1st Hopper to the 2nd Hopper location should work to test the wires.
Just a note since you didn't mention it, don't forget you need to change the solo node with a duo node before you test the new location.

When I move the Hopper to test a second RG6, I'll also change the connection to the node to eliminate every thing but the cable being tested.

I'll have to get/install a duo node when the second Hopper gets installed. Hopefully the Dish installer will have one when that time comes.

My final installation might have three Hoppers so a solo and a duo node will be needed and I will already have the solo one.

I still believe in magic
!

#6 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 881 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

all cables from Node (Dual for 2xH) should be 3 GHz certified [RG-6], for connecting Js the cable could be cheaper - RG-59

All my cables are RG6 so not worried about the Joey installs. VIP series are currently running on those cables now with no problems.

All the RG6 currently in place was purchased and put to use long before the 3000Mhz requirement was ever mentioned, hence my concern about the Hopper operation over them.

I want to run the tests before getting the second H/J install from Dish as I can pick up a 500 foot roll from HD for $37 bucks and run new where needed at my leisure rather than having the Dish installer run new cable all around the outside of the house.

I still believe in magic
!

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

you good to go - cabling is OK and you know what equipment will be installed for all your needs

#8 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 881 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

you good to go - cabling is OK and you know what equipment will be installed for all your needs

Update. Connected Hopper via solo node connected to DPP44 and allowed it to run through its (almost) endless steps. Had a minor burp, I think, when somewhere in the steps I got a blank screen and let it sit that way for over a half hour. Then I got a bit worried so opened the drop down panel on the front of the hopper and saw it had a smart card. Gently pushed on it and it moved in just a bit and suddenly the screen went active again and the installation proceeded to the last step, activation. Whew!

I then hooked up the Joey and allowed it to go through its steps and when finished, called the Phillipines and activated the H/J system.

I've decided to not test the other RG6 at this time as I may be able to run the setup to my liking with just the addition of another Joey and a duo node.:D

Edited by Grandude, 11 April 2013 - 08:09 AM.

I still believe in magic
!

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

see diagrams at URL post#4, you could be familiar with new terminology ;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...