Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

A silly sounding signal strength problem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

I have a Dish500 and VIP211k receiver that I use in my travel trailer. I don't have any problems aiming it (I've done it many times) but the last few trips I've found that when the dish is out in an exposed area (not shaded), that after the sun has shown directly on it for some time, my signal strengths have slowly weakened. Not a 'big' problem, but the last couple times, it's begun to reach the point that most, if not all, HD signals are too weak to view. I've checked my connections and have tried different cables and connectors.

Could this possibly be a sign that my LNBf is going bad?

Oh, btw, once the sun goes down, everything is 'back to normal'

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

It sounds like your LNB has developed heat sensativity and needs to be replaced.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#3 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

It sounds like your LNB has developed heat sensativity and needs to be replaced.

I hadn't heard of that before, but it's kind of what I've been thinking - thanks

#4 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

I've seen just a few D* 3 LNBs heat sensitive, and of course there are the cold sensitive 5 LNBs. Hadn't encountered a DISH LNB of any stripe that was temp sensitive.

LNB drift, cracked housings (and full of moisture) and just plain old dead, LOL.

Appreciate the report, I need to keep an open attitude when troubleshooting.

Thanx!

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

you could try to cover LNBF(exclude plastic part, covering feedhorn) by aluminum foil

#6 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

Several summers ago, We had to replace many dozens of faulty DPP Twin lnbf's. IIRC there was a specific lot manufactured by Channel Master that suffered from heat failure. Took a couple of hot summers to get through all of them.

Edited by VDP07, 08 April 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

I've seen just a few D* 3 LNBs heat sensitive, and of course there are the cold sensitive 5 LNBs. Hadn't encountered a DISH LNB of any stripe that was temp sensitive.

LNB drift, cracked housings (and full of moisture) and just plain old dead, LOL.

Appreciate the report, I need to keep an open attitude when troubleshooting.

Thanx!

There was a bad batch of DP Twin lnb's about 6 or 7 years ago that caused some minor headaches with this, but it is a fairly isolated event these days
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#8 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

Wish I had the trailer at home instead of in storage. But I think this lnb could easily be in the 6-7 year old range...but I'd like to give it a good look over to see if there are any cracks. No big deal though, I see a used Legacy Twin Dual for only about $15 on ebay (buy it now) that I think will do the trick.

Thanks for the input everyone!

==========

Contacted the seller on ebay & he said that he also had new lnb at about $22. So I went with that instead

Edited by CeeWoo, 08 April 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

Wish I had the trailer at home instead of in storage. But I think this lnb could easily be in the 6-7 year old range...but I'd like to give it a good look over to see if there are any cracks. No big deal though, I see a used Legacy Twin Dual for only about $15 on ebay (buy it now) that I think will do the trick.

Thanks for the input everyone!

If its one from the faulty batch, if you run a switch test, the device will say CM DP TWin. :) And I was understating when I said minor, that was a lot of truck rolls

-Puck

#10 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

If its one from the faulty batch, if you run a switch test, the device will say CM DP TWin. :) And I was understating when I said minor, that was a lot of truck rolls

Between heat sensitive and LNB drift DISH has more LNB failures than it's competitors. I guess if you buy from the lowest bidder it will show up.

#11 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

LNB drift and stone cold dead are the 2 big ones I have seen. Not sure just what LNB drift is, but it must have been something apparent early on enough for code to be written for the box to diagnose it.

Tough to know for sure (I haven't kept stats) but I'd suspect I have seen more Dish dishes smashed by 4 wheelers, tree limbs, weather and critters than Direct. Not sure why that would be, I do %wise quite a bit more D* work overall, but I'd say I've still seen more E* installs fall victim to accidents than D*.

The current cold temp LNB situation hasn't been fun (have one at MY house!), but the OPs warm E* LNB is something to think about.

Do we know if the high temp sensitivity 'registers' as LNB drift ?

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

if the heat will cause LNBF drift, then yes
it could just bring IC to knee with all sort of symptoms as low output, etc
get spectrum analyzer, make snapshot before the heat and after, to see the drift visually

#13 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

Just a little update...I went camping again Wednesday and set up my system.  I looked over the LNB and YES there was a crack about 2 inches long running down one side of the 'case'.  Setup system as usual...no problem.  Sig strengths were low, but usable

Next day, my wife joined me and the new LNB I had ordered had been delivered.  I installed it that day and my signal strengths increased by (I'm guessing) 20-25%.  So I'm again a happy camper

Edited by CeeWoo, 21 April 2013 - 08:15 PM.

spam firewall