Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Watch Instantly (On Demand) doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   h4b1t

h4b1t

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

Why can't I watch On Demand with the Watch Now or whatever it's called? I just completed a speed test and got 34 Mb down and 4Mb up so my internet wouldn't be an issue. I have DECA to my router. when i try to watch instantly it says my internet speed isn't fast enough. I have a feeling that DirecTV's internet speed isn't fast enough or there's an issue with my DECA set up? Any thoughts. BTW I have an HR34 (GENIE) with 2 other HD recievers and the other 2 were doing were off while I tried this.

Thanks

Posted Image

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:49 PM

Why can't I watch On Demand with the Watch Now or whatever it's called? I just completed a speed test and got 34 Mb down and 4Mb up so my internet wouldn't be an issue. I have DECA to my router. when i try to watch instantly it says my internet speed isn't fast enough. I have a feeling that DirecTV's internet speed isn't fast enough or there's an issue with my DECA set up? Any thoughts. BTW I have an HR34 (GENIE) with 2 other HD recievers and the other 2 were doing were off while I tried this.

Thanks

Posted Image

While that test looks good, it isn't the whole story.
Charter may have a hand in your problem.
I've got only 11+ Mb/s and can use "watch now" for everything I've tried but cinemax during the free preview, but it might be because it was the free preview.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   r028806

r028806

Mentor

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

Do you even have the Watch Now option, it's not available unless you have the appropriate SW version to do so. It's rolled out by time zone and can take several months before its on all IRD's nationwide. For HR2x models SW ver. x066d supports it, I'm sorry I do not know which SW ver. the Genie needs.

Slimline 5 / SWM 16
Whole Home Enabled
Cinema Connection Kit (Coax)
HR24-500 :hurah:
HR23-700 :grin:
HR22-100 :lol:

HR23-700 :sure:
H25-500 :rolling:

#4 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,951 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:39 AM

Thanks

Lots of factors effect VOD download speed. First there is your individual link speed (BTW, a number of ISPs prioritize speedtest.net traffic to artificially enhance your results), then there is the route the traffic in question takes (how busy the various routers and segments are) not to mention the load on the servers which can congest the servers' connection to the Internet. One thing to try is a speedtest run to a server in California...that will give you a more realistic idea of the maximum throughput to the area where the servers live.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#5 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

I have a feeling that DirecTV's internet speed isn't fast enough

DirecTV doesn't have an internet speed, simply because DirecTV isn't an internet provider. If you are having issues with downloading On Demand Content the problem is going to lie with your ISP.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

DirecTV doesn't have an internet speed, simply because DirecTV isn't an internet provider. If you are having issues with downloading On Demand Content the problem is going to lie with your ISP.

Maybe 99% of the time, but that 1% can be a DirecTV server problem.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

Maybe 99% of the time, but that 1% can be a DirecTV server problem.

So where should people focus their efforts? I agree with your logic so why do they always focus on the 1%?

#8 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

Over the past few weeks I upgraded my internet dl speed from 10 to 30. I speedtest-ed and I'm actually a little faster than 30. My On Demand Record speed doesn't seem to have improved in any way. It seems the same as it was with 10. That would tend to support VOS's 1% comment.

BTW, on occassion my HD Netflix viewing would blur down to SD for awhile. That is also still happening at the same rate before and after I upgraded my speed. As we move into this new age of internet content, it seems like the provider's servers are going to be the bigger issue. Also an issue, i suppose, is the "art" of compression.

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

So where should people focus their efforts? I agree with your logic so why do they always focus on the 1%?

Over the past few weeks I upgraded my internet dl speed from 10 to 30. I speedtest-ed and I'm actually a little faster than 30. My On Demand Record speed doesn't seem to have improved in any way. It seems the same as it was with 10. That would tend to support VOS's 1% comment.

BTW, on occassion my HD Netflix viewing would blur down to SD for awhile. That is also still happening at the same rate before and after I upgraded my speed. As we move into this new age of internet content, it seems like the provider's servers are going to be the bigger issue. Also an issue, i suppose, is the "art" of compression.

I'd say the easiest way to check the 1% is to try another OnDemand channel.
The banks of servers DirecTV have means they're not all having problems, so it's back to the 99% of the time being your ISP, which I'd been through hell with and dumped them "never to have the problem again" with my current ISP.

My old ISP was so bad a 3 Mb/s was taking 22 hours for an SD OnDemand. Speedtest showed they had a problem and "all they did was" to patch their end so speedtest always showed "full speed", but a download of SD was taking a full day and at the same time I used my other [new] ISP and had the same Ondemad come through at 1:1 or better.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:59 PM

I like the watch now feature for instant watching OD content, but what I don't like is while it downloads a program while you're watching and try to watch another, it stops that previous download to start the next download program, meaning if the download process is not completed than you try to watch another program, then it loses that download to then start the next one and vice versa (meaning it won't save your previous uncompleted download program no matter how much close it is to complete and starts over again)

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#11 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

I know downloading OD content is different than recording but why not let it download both programs at the same time instead of one at a time, and much worse "killing" your download when you try to watch another program then start over the downloading (My head is gonna explode from sayin download a lot:)

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#12 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 946 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

Despite some people saying they can watch now without problems there is something wrong with the HR34 and the watch now feature. Certain software I am able to watch now without a problem and sometimes I can't. The message will pop up saying my internet speed doesn't support it and it gives the option to download with full HD or lesser 720P I assume and this only happens on certain channels when it happens. I have HR24's that this never happens on they all 3 give a message preparing for playback and then start without a problem. I have tons of data on this problem and it exist on multiple speeds, ISP providers, routers/modems, etc....  When the message does pop up I can always go to the list and playback the show without a buffer built up. I think it has to do with the speed check the HR34 does but who knows.

#13 OFFLINE   extremeblue

extremeblue

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:24 AM

I was not able to use Watch Now for a few months because I was getting the connection speed alert. After trying different equipment, resetting to defaults, pushing the red reset button, and probably a few other things that I can't think of right now, I've finally figured out why it wasn't working for me. Maybe this will help some others as well.

My cable modem and router are upstairs, the HR34 is downstairs and my house isn't wired, so I tried both a powerline adapter and wireless access point. When I plugged my laptop into each, I got almost exactly the same speed results, 19.47 down and 1.97 up.

What worked for me was to choose a Wired connection no matter what I was actually using. Always select Wired (Powerline and Wireless would never work for me)! I could never get Watch Now to work by selecting the actual equipment that was in place.

Here are the steps to reconfigure the HR34 for a wired connection, if it's not already set that way:

Unplug the HR34 network cable first.

Menu -> Settings & Help -> Settings -> Network Setup -> Repeat Network Setup -> Get Connected -> Wired

Plug in the HR34 network cable.

Continue -> Continue -> Connect Now -> Continue -> Continue -> Done -> Exit

I tried Watch Now with several On Demand shows (HD and SD) with the powerline adapter in place and then with the wireless access point in place. After changing the network setup to Wired, I didn't have issues watching any of the shows.

I've seen a few people in my searches talk about software versions, so just in case anyone is wondering, my HR34/700 is currently at 0x67e (updated on 03/19/13 at 3:52 am).

Hope this helps.

Edited by extremeblue, 26 April 2013 - 04:27 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

I've only really tried HBO, Showtime and Starz. HBO seems to work pretty well (I watched an episode of John Adams this afternoon and I've also watched Treme. Showtime was great. I was 12 minutes into Nurse Jackie and it was completely downloaded. Starz was unwatchable as it buffered 4 times in the first 6 minutes. My guess is it has a lot to do with the server the show is hosted on.

#15 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

There seems to be an issue with the HR34 and "Watch Now".  Trying to watch Chernobyl Diaries via "Watch Now".  HR34 tells me my internet is too slow.  

- Tried "Watch Now" from HR22 in another room - no issue

- Tried watching the movie via the HBO to Go on my Mac - no issue

- Tried watching the movie on the HR34 via Download and Record instead - no issue - the HR34 gave me two options when it told my internet speed wasn't fast enough to "watch now", I chose "Highest Quality".  Download speed was slightly faster 

SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#16 OFFLINE   mretc1

mretc1

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:36 AM

As a new DirecTV customer, I experienced the same problem with "Watch Now" even with 10MB download speeds on the HR34 which was the only box the installation contractor had-  After a call to customer service within the first week, re-booting, etc. DirecTV scheduled a service call with one of their technicians.  An HR44 resolved the problem immediately and was the solution of choice by the technician- no arm twisting for the new model was necessary. 

I've got to believe that at least in my case that there was a manufacturing defect or software bug in the HR34.  While there may be some difference in VOD download speeds depending on the programming/channel, I couldn't find a single VOD program that would allow "Watch Now" on the HR34.  For those having problems- if you run the test diagnostics, do you get an internet error?  I did on the 34, but the 44 tested clean despite the exact same connection kit set-up (I'm not using wireless or direct Ethernet)

Edited by mretc1, 18 May 2013 - 05:42 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

if you run the test diagnostics, do you get an internet error?  I did on the 34, but the 44 tested clean despite the exact same connection kit set-up (I'm not using wireless or direct Ethernet)

Soo, what was the error?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   mretc1

mretc1

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:42 PM

Soo, what was the error

Something in the 80s with intermittent internet connection- Sorry I don't have the exact code-

#19 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

I do not get an internet error.  New software came the other day but I still cannot "Watch Now" on the HR34.

To reiterate:

- I have a solid 30 down connection

- I can Watch Now on other DVRs in the house without issue

- I can start a download at "High Quality" and immediately watch on the HR34 with no issues

- I have restored defaults on network settings

SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#20 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:06 PM

I do not get an internet error.  New software came the other day but I still cannot "Watch Now" on the HR34.

To reiterate:
- I have a solid 30 down connection
- I can Watch Now on other DVRs in the house without issue
- I can start a download at "High Quality" and immediately watch on the HR34 with no issues
- I have restored defaults on network settings

More new software came this week. Still cannot, "Watch Now". Still claims my connection is too slow.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...