Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Watch Instantly (On Demand) doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

why not just watch from the playlist. the watch now is more like a "shortcut"

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

Watch now can be more than a shortcut.

If I download a show it may be 1080i resolution, but with watch now it's 720p [to be faster]

A.K.A VOS

#23 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:22 PM

Watch now can be more than a shortcut.
If I download a show it may be 1080i resolution, but with watch now it's 720p [to be faster]

that is why I said "more like a shortcut" but here we go with the technicalities.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#24 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

I have just been watching from the playlist, since the "feature" does not work and there is seemingly no way to fix it short of a total reset or getting a new box.  Watch Now would be preferred rather than the, what seems like, a 10 button push process to watch VOD using the playlist. 

SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#25 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

I have just been watching from the playlist, since the "feature" does not work and there is seemingly no way to fix it short of a total reset or getting a new box. Watch Now would be preferred rather than the, what seems like, a 10 button push process to watch VOD using the playlist.

#firstworldproblem :)

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#26 OFFLINE   tony4d

tony4d

Legend

• Registered
  • 242 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:34 AM

Yea this is a real issue with the HR-34 and on demand. All of a sudden this message is coming up on mine and downloads are SUPER slow now. This is a bug in the software it looks like.

#27 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOn the road in North America...

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

I'm having this problem too.  Charter cable ~ 30Mbps per testmy.net.  The HR34 (wired ethernet) says it can't do a VOD show (Longmire).  I can watch it just fine with my iPad, which has a slower Wifi link in the middle.  My AppleTV and Roku, on the same ethernet switch as the HR34, both stream just fine.

Gotta be something in the HR34.

#28 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

Your ISP provided link speed is almost irrelevant to the issue of streaming video.  We have FiOS with 75 Mbps download service and we STILL get the occasional Netflix stream switching from HD down to SD.  Anything over 10 Mbps is not going to speed up anything, it just lets do more things at once over the link.

It is also rarely a problem at the content providers's servers.  Netflix and Directv and anyone else doing streaming uses special server farms with very large capacity connections to the internet.

However, the total end to end speed from DirecTV or Netflix's server to your TV is only as fast as it's slowest segment.  In the journey to your TV a video stream will pass through many routers and network segments (8 to 12 is about average).  If ANY of these segments become congested your throughput will drop.

Finally, a speedtest should not be taken as gospel.  Many ISPs throttle throughtput through their routers, unless the target is speedtest.net!

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#29 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

Doesn't explain why it works fine on my iPad with the DirecTV app but doesn't work on the HR-34.

#30 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

Doesn't explain why it works fine on my iPad with the DirecTV app but doesn't work on the HR-34.

Well, they are two different animals

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#31 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

Well, they are two different animals

D'oh, I would never have figured that out on my own.   I was replying to Diana C who seems to think it has to be an ISP problem.  ISP doesn't change between the two client platforms at my end.  

Does anyone have anything useful to add to this thread?  Like how to get the HR-34 to actually do VOD?

#32 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

I was referring to "it" being two different file formats that vary greatly is size.  Perhaps it has something to do with that.  my 0.15 cents

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#33 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:56 PM

I was referring to "it" being two different file formats that vary greatly is size.  Perhaps it has something to do with that.  my 0.15 cents

Why would they differ in size?  Or file format?  It's DirecTV's proprietary stream, and they're both HD devices.  Are you sure they are different, or is that just a guess?

#34 OFFLINE   krylon360

krylon360

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

FlyingDiver, VOS; 

I've got a 90Mbps/90Mbps Fiber To The Home connection (will be a 1Gbps U/D Google Fiber in about a month - Provo, UT Resident :P

But I also get the VOD error; as well as the Not Connected error non-stop.

Setup is as follows..

SWiM LNB Dish is on the roof. Has a Green 2 Way mounted to the base. DC Passthrough Post has a RG6 going routing down to my living room where the PI, CCK-W, and HR24-500 is located.

The 2nd Post of the 2 Way routes around to the back of my house (with a RG6) into a 4-Way. (No Green Sticker (Not sure why the installer used this splitter. I think it was from a old DISH install. Manuf: Prime Electronics & Satelitics Inc; Model: MSPLIT4R1-02)

In the 4 Way is another HR24-100, and 3 D12's. One of the D12's is hooked into the DC Passthrough post.

Again, not sure why the installer wired it this way. Pisses me off to no extent.

I'm using a Apple Airport Extreme for my WIFI. The Fiber portal is in the Garage, and routes a cat 5e into my basement; so it's plugged into that.

I've modified an old Cisco E1000 and put DD-WRT on it and made it a Wireless Repeater and put it upstairs where the CCK-W and both HR24's are with no luck.

Last night I tried VOS's No Audio/Video recomendation here: http://www.dbstalk.c...36593731594.jpg

Also tried putting the CCK-W downstairs right next to my AEBS; This worked somewhat; however due to the botch wiring job the tech did; the living room HR24 couldn't see anything.

Tonight I will try the BB DECA config in VOS's picture; only substituting it with the CCK-W ( I "had" the DECA1MRO-01 however; when we moved into our house; when the DTV tech came; they took that and gave me the CCK-W instead) and not use the CCK-W Passthrough.

If that doesn't work; then I will log into the admin interface and disable the wireless and plug it into my Gigabit Switch downstairs; though, with that config, I'll still have the issue where the living room HR24 wont see the connection due to the way it's wired from the LNB.

When I get home; I'll post a bandwidth log of exactly how much bandwidth VOD actually uses. I'll do 2 caps; 1 with Watch Now; the other with Record and Watch Later and post them up.

If tonight's adventures don't work; I might have to get up on the roof and take the 2 way out of the picture, and replace the 4 way with an 8 way and rewire the living room connection to the back of the house; and call support for the 8th time about this issue and have them swap the CCK-W with a DECABB1MRO-01. UGH!

Edited by krylon360, 24 July 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#35 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

The iPad streams at a lower resolution (closer to 720p) than the HR34 (1080p or i, depending on the movie), so if your ISP is throttling streaming video, the iPad might work and the HR34 won't.

I also don't propose it is ONLY an ISP problem...the HR34 may contribute, although I have streamed to my HR34 without a problem.

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#36 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

Why would they differ in size?  Or file format?  It's DirecTV's proprietary stream, and they're both HD devices.  Are you sure they are different, or is that just a guess?

well I am not sure of what file format DirecTV uses for DOD, MPEG 4 (2?).  the iPad can't definitely play those formats.  

• Video formats supported on iPad: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG‑4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#37 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

well I am not sure of what file format DirecTV uses for DOD, MPEG 4 (2?).  the iPad can't definitely play those formats.  

• Video formats supported on iPad: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG‑4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

Those only matter if you're using the iPad's native apps.  DirecTV could (and probably does) put their own decoder in the GenieGo app, so they could use anything.

#38 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

Those only matter if you're using the iPad's native apps.  

Not the case.  if it was true, there would have been a browser that supporterd flash long time ago

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#39 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

Not the case.  if it was true, there would have been a browser that supporterd flash long time ago

Yes, true.  There was no Flash for iOS because Apple said they wouldn't approve it for distribution.  It was technically possible to do it (assuming Adobe could ever actually get it to work), but there would be no way to distribute it other than jailbreaking the device.

A video/stream decoder is just code.  Compressed/encrypted bits in, video bitmap out.  Sometimes they're done in hardware, and I believe the chipset Apple is using has some decoding in hardware.  But you can do it all in software.  

You don't have to take my word for it, but I did work for Apple for 18 years.  And I'm still a registered iOS developer.

#40 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

There are 2 ways to stream DirecTV content to your iPad: via the GenieGo app or via DirecTV Anywhere.   In both cases the stream is at a lower resolution (and bitrate) than On Demand content dowloaded via an HD DVR.  The GenieGo stream is down around 1 or 2 Mbits/second at most, DirecTV Anywhere maxes out at 2 or 3 Mbits/second.  A 1080p movie will want at least 6 to 8 Mbits/second of usable bandwidth.

Bottom line, the fact that iPad steaming works is not relevant to On Demand performance.

Current setup:

spam firewall