Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tough choice coming up

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

This post is just about making a public statement more than anything, but I've had to switch to Comcast for internet access. My other choice where I live was ATT DSL, which is now archaic. So I was getting 20 down and 4 up, and last week they called me and said if I took their TV bundle, I'd get 50 down and 10 up, for $5 more a month for 2 years. This makes TV and internet both $70 from Comcast.

What that does is make it increasingly hard to justify keeping satellite TV, which is probably the goal of Comcast's target marketing. Some of you may know I'm not a huge fan of TV in general, and now DirecTV is incredibly non-competitive for me. Even if they offered me free internet service, which they can't, they can't come close to that price or that speed.

Yes, I know the technical arguments, and I know pricing can and will vary, but for those like me who don't worship at the altar of TV, this sort of bundled pricing makes it tough to justify paying $140 (DirecTV) on top of $70 (Comcast).

Of note, this marks the first time this century I have considered leaving DirecTV for any other provider other than OTA only. :(
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

Go for it and in one or two years when Comcast price goes up come back

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#3 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

This is THE biggest advantage cable providers has over sat providers. You gotta do what you gotta do.

#4 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

You can bundle with ATT like I do but here ATT has fast internet.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#5 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,288 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

And what will be the price for these after two years? Something you can live with or switch providers at that time?

I've been looking at Comcast for Internet only (20 up and 4 down), but with just Internet, they only keep their promo offer for six months.

#6 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

Yeah, that's right. I was surprised to get a call from them last week with this offer. And it goes up to only $90 after the promo period. I imagine if I start adding DVRs, the price will begin to look like what I'm paying DirecTV, but with internet included. It's the inclusion of high speed internet that's the real killer here.

And what will be the price for these after two years? Something you can live with or switch providers at that time?

I've been looking at Comcast for Internet only (20 up and 4 down), but with just Internet, they only keep their promo offer for six months.

A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,431 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

This post is just about making a public statement more than anything, but I've had to switch to Comcast for internet access. My other choice where I live was ATT DSL, which is now archaic. So I was getting 20 down and 4 up, and last week they called me and said if I took their TV bundle, I'd get 50 down and 10 up, for $5 more a month for 2 years. This makes TV and internet both $70 from Comcast.

What that does is make it increasingly hard to justify keeping satellite TV, which is probably the goal of Comcast's target marketing. Some of you may know I'm not a huge fan of TV in general, and now DirecTV is incredibly non-competitive for me. Even if they offered me free internet service, which they can't, they can't come close to that price or that speed.

Yes, I know the technical arguments, and I know pricing can and will vary, but for those like me who don't worship at the altar of TV, this sort of bundled pricing makes it tough to justify paying $140 (DirecTV) on top of $70 (Comcast).

Of note, this marks the first time this century I have considered leaving DirecTV for any other provider other than OTA only. :(

That is what I pay here and add another $48 for my AT&T phone.
I talked to them the other day when they were digging in my back yard. The man told me they were putting in Fiber Optics and that when I got that it would be as good as DirecTV. I can not say since I have not seen it in action.
I can state that I have never seen a cable picture that was worth a crap for sure. When I see one as good as what I have now it will be a consideration that I will take note of.
I did look at the pricing for what I have now and I could get ( if I had Fiber Optics ) a bundle that would be $159 for all 3 ( Cable Internet, Home Phone and TV ) that has the same basic programming that I have now for 12 months. After that the pricing would get closer to what I am paying now.

Good luck with your choice that you make.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   iceman2a

iceman2a

Icon

• Registered
  • 540 posts
  • LocationBOSTON, MA.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

I have comcrap for internet only and got a simmalar offer last week!I pay for 20dwn, but not getting that! So for $5 more per mnth (NO COMMITMENT) they will more than double the speed and add tv! 49.95 a mnth. 6 mnths then it jumps to $70 a mnth! I will take it for six months, won't even bother connecting the tv and worry about the price hike then! I will NEVER under any circumstances give up D* for Comcrap! That's just me!
HR21-200
HR20/700
2 H21-200

#9 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 573 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

Jeff, why not just switch and be done with it?
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

I would look into a test drive.
U-Verse "came a knocking" last year and did give me a [free] 30 day trial.
U-Verse has pluses and minuses, which I'd guess Comcrap does too.

Only you can pick which is best for you.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

I suppose this would depend on the provider, but I've wondered if going DirecTV alone first, then joining the Winstream bundle here might work better than just starting with the Windstream D* bundle from the get go.

It has been my impression Windstream is a little limited in the new customer bells and whistles for the D* side, but I might be mistaken. I don't have the Windstream bundle and am relying on what customers have related to me.

#12 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

After having satellite for years (DirecTV and Dish), cable finally became a viable alternative again last year in my area. Now that I've gone back to cable, I have a much lower bill, more HD, better picture quality and an excellent whole-home DVR. I use a WMC server with a pair of quad-tuner Cetons plus extenders in every room, so my DVR fee is a whopping $2/month and every additional room is free. Unless something catastrophic happens with cable (FCC repeals the cable card requirement), I don't see myself ever going back to satellite. If I were a big sports fan, DirecTV would be the only option, but I'm not, so cable is more than satisfactory.
  • beely likes this

#13 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,225 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

Why do people keep mentioning that the price will go up in two years when someone says they are switching carriers?

I think we all know that, but my $40 per month savings the first year and $20 per month savings the second year when I switched to FiOS put me $720 ahead of the game. I'll worry about the pricing and possibly going back to DirecTV when the two years are up.

There's so much more VOD, both free and premium, available on FiOS compared with DirecTV there's no comparison. At least that was the situation when I switched.

I'm in LA and not a pro football fan so Sunday Ticket was never a consideration. It looks like it will be another two years or so before LA gets a team.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,767 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

It absolutely is something that someone needs to consider. If you still have two DVRs, just be sure to take that into account, as the prices really start to escalate if they charge a per box DVR fee.

I would also suspend your DirecTV service, use Comcast for a few months, then make the final determination.

#15 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

I wish I had this "tough choice" I couldn't pull down this dish fast enough. lol

#16 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

{think I should have said Century Link instead of Windstream, but still same inquiry}

#17 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

I'm going to carry them both for awhile while I make up my mind. As another poster said, I'm paying that just for internet. The fact that TV had to come with it just opened up options I hadn't considered before.

I'd love to have given Uverse a try but ATT won't run fiber into my neighborhood for whatever reason. We have a 40+ year old wire plant. Same for Comcast, but hurricane Wilma ripped all their lines down and just last year they rewired the neighborhood.

Jeff, why not just switch and be done with it?

#18 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

I had charter cable down here in Atlanta. I came back to DirecTV after trying dish then charter. The downside to DirecTV is when there is a VERY bad storm the TV goes out.DirecTV does better than dish with storms. Now cable would not go out however I live in a subdivision and they do ALOT of work dang near every week for 2+ hours and during that time there is no cable. So I went DirecTV and have internet from charter.
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#19 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,923 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

I'd love to have given Uverse a try but ATT won't run fiber into my neighborhood for whatever reason. We have a 40+ year old wire plant. Same for Comcast, but hurricane Wilma ripped all their lines down and just last year they rewired the neighborhood.

You definitely don't want to give Uverse a try if you have any appreciation for PQ. The DVR makes any DirecTV DVR with speed issues seem fast. At least with Comcast you can get a Tivo or Ceton cards mentioned earlier. Their internet has been great... Their router was giving me fits, so I called about getting a tech visit. This was Saturday at 3:30 and he was here by 4:30.

Your idea of keeping both at first is very smart because you're already paying virtually the same. Word of advice - don't let the tech cut any DirecTV wire. We had a TWC do that a few years ago.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#20 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

I refused their install and I'm already wired for their internet on a dedicated run. I'll just run a splitter and put their box on my main TV for a side-by-side.

You definitely don't want to give Uverse a try if you have any appreciation for PQ. The DVR makes any DirecTV DVR with speed issues seem fast. At least with Comcast you can get a Tivo or Ceton cards mentioned earlier. Their internet has been great... Their router was giving me fits, so I called about getting a tech visit. This was Saturday at 3:30 and he was here by 4:30.

Your idea of keeping both at first is very smart because you're already paying virtually the same. Word of advice - don't let the tech cut any DirecTV wire. We had a TWC do that a few years ago.

spam firewall