Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tough choice coming up

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 649 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

Jeff,

I was in the same boat a few years ago. I went with, and sayed with cable. Even after the two year promo ended I still pay less than DirecTv plus Optimum Online. I "wish" I could still have DirecTv, but it is too expensive.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

I see not worshiping at the alter of tv...but it does sound like you do worship at the internet speed alter...I get the price, but quite truthfully you couldnt pay me to use their all share the pipe topology...

#23 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

That's why I stuck with DSL for so long, but the 6Mbs down and 1 up no longer made up for the dedicated pipe. I need the speed, my business is software and I run from home as often as not.

I see not worshiping at the alter of tv...but it does sound like you do worship at the internet speed alter...I get the price, but quite truthfully you couldnt pay me to use their all share the pipe topology...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#24 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

Good luck on your decession, I left directv 2 and a half years ago for verizon fios.I love verizon fios with my tivo premieres and although i rarely watch sd channels the picture quality is excellent,some sd channels almost look like HD on my tv! Despite that i want to return to directv for the nba league pass,because verizon doesnt carry all the games in HD or dual feeds for every game like directv does! verrizon onlhas 5 HD feeds for nba league pass and i believe they have 9 Hd channels for the extra innings and 9HD for the CENTER ICE package!:( So unless verizon males some changes there i may go back to directv.One other thing thats nice about verizon is we get cinemax,showtime, the movie chanel,and EPIX,included with the ultimate package.

#25 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

You know, your post reminds me that Comcast gave me 2 yrs free HBO as well. I just don't care about that, though. Should have heard the stunned silence on the other end of the line when I told the guy I had no interest in his TV, just make the table change to allow the faster internet speed and be done with it!
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#26 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

You can just change every two years if low cost is what you are looking for.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#27 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

This post is just about making a public statement more than anything, but I've had to switch to Comcast for internet access. My other choice where I live was ATT DSL, which is now archaic. So I was getting 20 down and 4 up, and last week they called me and said if I took their TV bundle, I'd get 50 down and 10 up, for $5 more a month for 2 years. This makes TV and internet both $70 from Comcast.
(

When something sounds too good to be true...! I'm curious to know the channel difference between what you are getting from D* and what their package would offer. I get offers from Comcast as well(I do have their internet service) and it's almost always for their next-to-nothing telelvision package.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#28 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

Unless something catastrophic happens with cable (FCC repeals the cable card requirement), I don't see myself ever going back to satellite. If I were a big sports fan, DirecTV would be the only option, but I'm not, so cable is more than satisfactory.

Canceled DirecTV last August after one year with TWC for TV along w/ Internet. I had suspended DirecTV for 2 six month intervals with one months service between. I have a low cost TiVo HD, so the CableCard and Tuning Adapter are crucial for me too. It took the local TWC awhile to get close to DirecTV as far as HD channels, but they caught up and in certain instances offer channels DirecTV doesn't. Thing I like is that since "Later...with Jools Holland" is on Palladia, that channel is on my Digital Explorer Pak, so I don't need the HD Extra Pak DirecTV requires.

I'd heard the doom an gloom here about going back to cable here. Didn't prove true for me.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#29 OFFLINE   markrw58

markrw58

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:31 PM

I am jumping ship, after 16+ years with Directv, to take advantage of a great 2 year deal with Comcast for Internet and tv it is saving me just over $900 for the two years and more than doubling my Internet speed.

#30 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:38 PM

To thems who "jump ship" (your words, not mine), I completely understand. Yet this is what keeps the market competitive in the long run. I wish everyone well and hope their choices work as expected.

And we'll still be here. Come chat, have some laughs, and we'll compare notes. :)

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#31 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:24 AM

You can just change every two years if low cost is what you are looking for.

This is my point, DirecTV cannot compete with a bundle, because they cannot offer economical highspeed internet. At any rate, after more than a decade with DirecTV, low cost is obviously not my primary motive.

When something sounds too good to be true...! I'm curious to know the channel difference between what you are getting from D* and what their package would offer. I get offers from Comcast as well(I do have their internet service) and it's almost always for their next-to-nothing telelvision package.

While I have both I will do my best to report what I see up here, quality wise. Channel wise, TV is just not that important to me. If I lose some channels, I simply adjust and move on. As I said earlier, I am quite certain if I go about to duplicate my DirecTV setup with Comcast, the price for TV will likely be the same, BUT, Comcast will always have internet included within that price, and DirecTV can't.

#32 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

This post is just about making a public statement more than anything, but I've had to switch to Comcast for internet access. My other choice where I live was ATT DSL, which is now archaic. So I was getting 20 down and 4 up, and last week they called me and said if I took their TV bundle, I'd get 50 down and 10 up, for $5 more a month for 2 years. This makes TV and internet both $70 from Comcast.

What that does is make it increasingly hard to justify keeping satellite TV, which is probably the goal of Comcast's target marketing. Some of you may know I'm not a huge fan of TV in general, and now DirecTV is incredibly non-competitive for me. Even if they offered me free internet service, which they can't, they can't come close to that price or that speed.

Yes, I know the technical arguments, and I know pricing can and will vary, but for those like me who don't worship at the altar of TV, this sort of bundled pricing makes it tough to justify paying $140 (DirecTV) on top of $70 (Comcast).

Of note, this marks the first time this century I have considered leaving DirecTV for any other provider other than OTA only. :(

That is too much to pay for Internet.. get a phone company for your Internet.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#33 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

I'm going to carry them both for awhile while I make up my mind. As another poster said, I'm paying that just for internet. The fact that TV had to come with it just opened up options I hadn't considered before.

I'd love to have given Uverse a try but ATT won't run fiber into my neighborhood for whatever reason. We have a 40+ year old wire plant. Same for Comcast, but hurricane Wilma ripped all their lines down and just last year they rewired the neighborhood.

Uverse sucks around here.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#34 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

After having satellite for years (DirecTV and Dish), cable finally became a viable alternative again last year in my area. Now that I've gone back to cable, I have a much lower bill, more HD, better picture quality and an excellent whole-home DVR. I use a WMC server with a pair of quad-tuner Cetons plus extenders in every room, so my DVR fee is a whopping $2/month and every additional room is free. Unless something catastrophic happens with cable (FCC repeals the cable card requirement), I don't see myself ever going back to satellite. If I were a big sports fan, DirecTV would be the only option, but I'm not, so cable is more than satisfactory.

Lets be honest here, most are not going to have a setup like that. Most of the time Cable DCVR's are a far cry from DirecTV's. The cable company in my town (CableOne) offers a HD DVR that holds 20 hours. Good lord that would not work for me. I probably have double that on my DVR now and that is the lowest its been in awhile. Not to mention normal Cable DVR fees are much more expensive and in some cases are a per receiver fee as well. You solution would not work for what 95% of the target audience?
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#35 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

Why do people keep mentioning that the price will go up in two years when someone says they are switching carriers?

I think we all know that, but my $40 per month savings the first year and $20 per month savings the second year when I switched to FiOS put me $720 ahead of the game. I'll worry about the pricing and possibly going back to DirecTV when the two years are up.

There's so much more VOD, both free and premium, available on FiOS compared with DirecTV there's no comparison. At least that was the situation when I switched.

I'm in LA and not a pro football fan so Sunday Ticket was never a consideration. It looks like it will be another two years or so before LA gets a team.

Why are people so willing to change providers every 2 years? I guess I found the provider I am happy with that can provide more of my tv needs than any other provider out there. For that they get my business. I am sure I could get some of what I want cheaper somewhere else but I think I will pass. Kinds of reminds me of buying something you really want from a knockoff website you never heard of because its half the price and supposedly the same item as you are looking for. It never works out that way.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#36 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Why are people so willing to change providers every 2 years? I guess I found the provider I am happy with that can provide more of my tv needs than any other provider out there. For that they get my business. I am sure I could get some of what I want cheaper somewhere else but I think I will pass. Kinds of reminds me of buying something you really want from a knockoff website you never heard of because its half the price and supposedly the same item as you are looking for. It never works out that way.

I hope thats a rhetorical question....there's one thing you can depend on, people are cheap and they will do whatever they can to get something cheap, even spend more time than its worth to try to get something cheap. Like spend an hour to get something for $5 cheaper...my time is worth a heck of lot more than $5 hour as is most people that work for a living.

#37 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

I think people have a different mindset including myself. I guess I remember how much cable was long ago and then see what it is now. I personally feel that if you are paying $100 or more for tv then you should get every channel they offer! People are cutting back because it's getting crazy. Everything seems to be going up except salaries!!!

#38 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

It is Good that You are happy that way.

I want the speed. From here
http://www.dbstalk.c...654#post3198654
I'm getting 89.77 down and 13.74 Up from the Cable company and a decent ping of 8ms

Here is today's http://www.speedtest.../2634645793.png
Ping of 0, Up is a slight bit faster, and 85.63 down.

It runs pretty consistent for me.

Cheers
TB
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#39 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

People talking about how much their time is worth and yet having many thousand posts on an internet forum is kind of funny. lol

#40 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

I agree but I think everyone looks at value differently. I'm willing to pay $73/mo for my internet because I use it frequently. There are others who may use it more than me but think $73 is ridiculous. I look at whether or not something is personally worth it to me before looking at costs. I feel too many people these days look at the cost before looking at the product/service then jump to their own conslusions.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...