Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tough choice coming up

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

That's been my point all along. Comcast is essentially giving me free TV with my Internet (from my perspective), and I'm not a big TV guy to start with.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

I have a stupid question. Do you subscribe to cable and use the HTPC for DVR? Does this save much money? I would be interested in building my own if it cut my bill down.

Yes. It saves me about $40/month. Saving money is the only reason I do it.

#83 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

Yes. It saves me about $40/month. Saving money is the only reason I do it.

How in the world does having a HTPC save you $40/month? What the hell does your cable company charge for DVRs??

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#84 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

Truthfully, mdavej appears to have been very fortunate in finding deals on the equipment he's using for this, but the initial investment could be substantial.  PC capable of running it all, 2 quad tuner cards, a 2TB HDD, remotes, etc.  several xbox 360's as media extenders, that would add up to $1500 or more if you dont have the parts lying around, and most wouldnt. Isnt there also a guide service you have to pay for to get proper guide data?  I did this awhile back using a Linux based box and MythTv...I never cancelled my D* service and quit using the HTPC...its not for everyone.  It would take a few years to recoup your savings as well due to the initial equipment outlay.

Edited by CCarncross, 21 April 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#85 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

How in the world does having a HTPC save you $40/month? What the hell does your cable company charge for DVRs??

When comcast tried to "win" me a few months ago, the Comcast CSR quoted me $9.95 a month per TV (digital service fee) and each TV with a DVR was charged $15 DVR Fee.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#86 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

I agree with that. I have used Linux for 15 years and always build my own PCs, but I bought a Tivo twice instead of building a DVR because when I added up the price the Tivo was far cheaper initially including lifetime service, and that didn't even take into account the huge residual value you get if you ever need to sell it (like if you switch to Directv) Try selling your own home-grown DVR for more than a dollar! :) I posted in another thread earlier today about buying my Tivo Premiere three years ago for $530 ($199 for the Tivo, $299 for the discount lifetime service, $30 for a three year extended warranty) If you look on Ebay, there are people willing to buy a used one for $400 or more. So I've had three years of service for barely $100. Plus $1.99/month to rent a cable card from my cable company, which I'd have to pay regardless of my solution.

Building your own DVR is great if you just like to tinker, and I sometimes do, but there are certain things I just want to work. Watching/recording TV is one of them.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#87 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

Cable company charges a bit less than DirecTV. $25 for DVR service and the first box. $5 each for the next 3 boxes = $40.

Ccarncross, guide service on WMC is free.

I already had a cheap PC to start and add a couple hundred bucks in upgrades. I added $100 used Xbox to each additional room (functionally equivalent to C31/41).

TiVo still too expensive and limited IMO but a good option nonetheless.

My initial equip costs were recouped in the first year. The rest is gravy.

Edited by mdavej, 21 April 2013 - 08:18 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...