Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR34 Genie and client setup question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

Directv came out and installed the HR34 and two C31-700 clients for us last Monday. The tech hooked up a Deca to the HR34 and everything works on the HR34 and the two clients but I thought I read that you don't need the Deca with the HR34.
Here is how it is set up right now...
Posted Image

If I get rid of the Deca and hook the Ethernet straight into the HR34 like this
Posted Image

Will the HR34 and the two clients still have internet connection and everything will work properly? It works now but if I can get rid of cables and connections I don't need that would be more efficient and eliminate anything if something goes wrong.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,954 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

Yes the 34 can act as the bridge to your router, "BUT" if the PI is too close to the HR34, you might have problems with the clients, because of the coax networking.
The current splitter adds some loss that resolves this.
The other option is to use have a long coax between the HR34 and the PI.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

I think it has about 10 feet of cable between the PI and the HR34. Is that good?
Also if I hooked it up like in my second pic and then added an H25 or HR24 later I would just hook the coax up and they would be internet connected automatically right?

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,954 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

I think it has about 10 feet of cable between the PI and the HR34. Is that good?
Also if I hooked it up like in my second pic and then added an H25 or HR24 later I would just hook the coax up and they would be internet connected automatically right?

I'm not sure 10' is enough, "but" it's worth a try and if you have problems, you'll know why.
Yes the other receivers will have internet.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

The whole reason I started looking into this is because even though things are working ok, I am getting an error when I run the system test on the HR34 saying that there may be problems because of dropped connections. I wonder now if it says that because the PI is so close to the HR34 like you said.

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

Yes the 34 can act as the bridge to your router, "BUT" if the PI is too close to the HR34, you might have problems with the clients, because of the coax networking.
The current splitter adds some loss that resolves this.
The other option is to use have a long coax between the HR34 and the PI.

Couldn't he keep the splitter there with the one unused port terminated or will the fact that there is no coax running off the one side of the splitter negate the loss?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

The whole reason I started looking into this is because even though things are working ok, I am getting an error when I run the system test on the HR34 saying that there may be problems because of dropped connections. I wonder now if it says that because the PI is so close to the HR34 like you said.

There's a bug in the HR34 software that generates a "dropped connection" error when you have deliberately switched the C31 client off so the error message does not necessarily indicate a problem.

#8 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

There's a bug in the HR34 software that generates a "dropped connection" error when you have deliberately switched the C31 client off so the error message does not necessarily indicate a problem.

aha! Thanks for that info.

Edit: Just made sure both clients were on and I reran the system test and still get the error saying dropped connections which may cause problems with play back. I asked my wife if the bedroom client was having any problems and she said no. My mother in law has been staying with us the past week in the other bedroom with the client and she said it hasn't had any problems either.

Edited by betterdan, 08 April 2013 - 04:23 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

aha! Thanks for that info.

Edit: Just made sure both clients were on and I reran the system test and still get the error saying dropped connections which may cause problems with play back. I asked my wife if the bedroom client was having any problems and she said no. My mother in law has been staying with us the past week in the other bedroom with the client and she said it hasn't had any problems either.

that error message will stay there until DirecTV releases a patch to the HR34 to NOT count when a client goes off as a drop connection. This is nothing to worry about
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:27 AM

that error message will stay there until DirecTV releases a patch to the HR34 to NOT count when a client goes off as a drop connection. This is nothing to worry about

But like I said, both clients were turned on.

#11 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:20 AM

But like I said, both clients were turned on.

It's not that they "dropped" the second you ran the test. Things like that register in the system memory and stay stored so even if you turn clients on then run test 5 times it'll still be stored that they "dropped" earlier in the day.

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

Right, I think the system keep a "log" of all drop connections for 5 days I believe. So unless you leave your clients all for a week, this message will be forever be there, or at least until there is a patch that can tell the difference between a "real" network drop and a client go off the network by turning the unit off
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:47 AM

Ok that makes sense. I just figured it was showing results for the test at that moment, not reading a log.
Watched some recorded tv on one of the client last night and no problems.
The client is a little slow but still on par with the HR20 we had before.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...