Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will Fox Shut Down Their OTA Network Over Hopper And Aereo?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

Personally I doubt the validity of their "one antenna serves one subscriber" claim.

It's not true at all, I was able to watch multiple channels at the same time just by grabbing the urls in the media cache file on my iOS device. All of them point to the same stream urls with an expiring auth code as the only thing unique to each user. The "live DVR buffer" is something built into the open source Strobe Media Player they use and works with any stream that uses http dynamic streaming. The "waiting for antenna" message when you first tune to a channel is just a fake javascript delay. Anyone with a packet sniffer and knowledge of streaming technology can figure it out, but the real question is will a judge understand all the technical terms if they're brought up in court or will it just go over their head.

And that's not even counting the physics involved. Good luck getting reliable reception of VHF stations with one of those tiny antennas alone, or explaining how they can pick up VHF-lo channels like WACP (4) and WPVI (6) with one of those when they launch in Philly. NYC is one of the few markets where most of the locals come from one general direction, other markets have multiple tower farms and even have channels coming from opposite directions. Are they going to claim that not only these microantennas can receive the entire DTV band with no breakup but they're omnidirectional too? If it were true they would make way more money selling the antennas than the legal bills they now have fighting the stations.

If they do prevail, they'll likely have to be treated as a CATV service and abide by their rules like must carry and retransmission consent. And since they now expanded beyond OTA to include Bloomberg TV with plans to add other channels, they might have to follow EAS rules too.

They use browser based location services for PCs and GPS for mobile devices, both of which are easy to spoof, the IP address doesn't matter. I just did the free trial, so they might also take the billing address into consideration for subscribers.

Fox's and other broadcaster's problem is that (a) not even the network and stations have streaming and on demand rights to all their programming (i.e. Verizon has exclusive mobile rights to the NFL nationally, MLB is very restrictive with their rights, not even the stations are allowed to stream the footage online during newscasts and until their recent renewal even ESPN had to blur the screen anytime MLB highlights appeared on Watch ESPN) and (B) they're using the "each user has their own antenna" excuse to get around the retransmission consent, when it's clearly false.

There is another streaming startup called Syncback. However in that case they are working with the broadcasters directly, getting permission before launching any channels, and blackout anything the broadcaster doesn't have streaming rights too. So it's limited to local news and select syndicated programming.

Edited by KyL416, 09 April 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#22 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:55 AM

Anything that massively disrupts the industry is good for us

The VCR was going to bankrupt the entertainment industry
The DVR was going to force massive cuts at entertainment corporations

Now, Aereo is lighting a fire under these companies butts and I love it

How hilarious is it to have these guys talk about fairness?

#23 OFFLINE   theedger

theedger

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

If the stream is 100% of the 'air' feed, what's the problem? I thought advertisers like people watching their commercials? I thought TV stations liked people watching their programming. More eyes...higher ratings...more revenue. If these Networks/TV stations don't get on board, they'll be left behind. Consumption of media is changing.

#24 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

If the stream is 100% of the 'air' feed, what's the problem? I thought advertisers like people watching their commercials? I thought TV stations liked people watching their programming. More eyes...higher ratings...more revenue. If these Networks/TV stations don't get on board, they'll be left behind. Consumption of media is changing.

OTA does not reach everyone. I think someone posted a good point earlier when stating if Philly gets the NY stations OTA then we know something is up.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#25 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

Word is CBS may be the other network making threats.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#26 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,759 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:53 PM

Dwight Silverman from the Houston Chronicle has gotten a response from the NFL that they support Fox in opposition.

http://blog.chron.co...orks-to-pay-tv/

#27 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

You present a worst case scenario. OTA could certainly go away I suppose, but then there is no 'requirement' that 'local' channels be offered at all unless they change the rules.

Most of the broadcast networks could just move their programming to existing 'cable' type channels they own. Of course they wouldn't do it that way, they'd just add new 'cable' type channels and try to peddle them.

Could make for some interesting negotiations.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#28 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

If Aero clears the legal hurdles, cable & satellite providers could incorporate this technology in their receivers and not have to pay retrans fees.  However, most likely, the TV stations will probably lobby congress to get the laws changed to close this loophole.

If this loophole is closed, I wonder if that will restrict E*'s ability to use Sling technology to retransmit OTA TV stations (which currently works using at least the 722k).

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

spam firewall