Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

A perfect example of why..

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

Warner Brothers shouldn't own DC. This quote about the upcoming Man of Steel (Supes reboot) movie:

"They’re sticking to realism as much as possible. Fantastic elements are still there but a lot of it that been trimmed back to make it feel as though this actually happened."

--
WB thinks because Batman was 'real' and 'dark', that those were the elements missing from making their other DC products successful movie franchises. They don't understand those elements worked for Batman, because he is HUMAN (real) and DARK as a character. Superman, on the other hand, is the antithesis of Batman.
--
This line alone about the film drives me to the point of almost not even giving it a chance, which is alot, considering I had already set my bar pretty low. What's next? A dark, emo Flash? I mean.. why not, who cares Flash is a wiseguy. I knew having Christopher Nolan's hand in this would have this effect on the movie. Le Sigh. He ruined Bane, what's next ><
  • Dude111 likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

Warner Brothers shouldn't own DC. This quote about the upcoming Man of Steel (Supes reboot) movie:

"They're sticking to realism as much as possible. Fantastic elements are still there but a lot of it that been trimmed back to make it feel as though this actually happened."

--
WB thinks because Batman was 'real' and 'dark', that those were the elements missing from making their other DC products successful movie franchises. They don't understand those elements worked for Batman, because he is HUMAN (real) and DARK as a character. Superman, on the other hand, is the antithesis of Batman.
--
This line alone about the film drives me to the point of almost not even giving it a chance, which is alot, considering I had already set my bar pretty low. What's next? A dark, emo Flash? I mean.. why not, who cares Flash is a wiseguy. I knew having Christopher Nolan's hand in this would have this effect on the movie. Le Sigh. He ruined Bane, what's next ><

...or you could just wait until the film is actually released.
DTV = Digital Television

#3 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

...or you could just wait until the film is actually released.

Or you could offer an opinion for once? It's not like i'm making any pre-judgements out of thin air. These are quotes from people involved in making the movie in general. And when it comes to fantasy/comic movies, lines like that have proven to be a kiss of death in my opinion. Another one is 'I had my own vision'.. something to that extent.
--
And the other was taken from comments from WB themselves concerning their other DC products.
--
Marvel has shown that you don't have to 'real up' comic book movies to be successful. I just don't understand why WB can't be hands off with DC to let them drive said bus, as Disney has with Marvel. I think it would help their other non-Batman products greatly.

#4 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

Or you could offer an opinion for once? It's not like i'm making any pre-judgements out of thin air. These are quotes from people involved in making the movie in general. And when it comes to fantasy/comic movies, lines like that have proven to be a kiss of death in my opinion. Another one is 'I had my own vision'.. something to that extent.
--
And the other was taken from comments from WB themselves concerning their other DC products.
--
Marvel has shown that you don't have to 'real up' comic book movies to be successful. I just don't understand why WB can't be hands off with DC to let them drive said bus, as Disney has with Marvel. I think it would help their other non-Batman products greatly.

...and? That is the prerogative of the filmmaker. It's their film. You can choose to watch it, choose not to watch it, or make your own. Every single adaptation has had some element of the filmmaker's vision in it. Judging a film you have never seen based upon a few quotes is a bit extreme.
DTV = Digital Television

#5 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

...and? That is the prerogative of the filmmaker. It's their film. You can choose to watch it, choose not to watch it, or make your own. Every single adaptation has had some element of the filmmaker's vision in it. Judging a film you have never seen based upon a few quotes is a bit extreme.

It may be their film, but there is a difference on doing a film not based off a written work, and doing a film that is. I don't mind changing some things. I can even understand the reason sometimes, but there are also things that change, that change the core of a character. A prime example, being what Nolan did to Bane.
--
Taking the Venom aspect away from Bane, is like taking the alien aspect away from Superman. It changes who the character is.
--
And why you don't think someone has the right to formulate an opinion on the possible good/bad of a movie based on comments from the people making movie is okay and is quite logical to do so, i'm unsure.
--
I could understand if I was just formulating my opinion based off nothing/out of the blue, but that is not the case. And I give credit, when it is due, as I did like the 1st two Nolan movies for Batman, outside of Raz Al Ghul somehow being a white irishman.

#6 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

It may be their film, but there is a difference on doing a film not based off a written work, and doing a film that is. I don't mind changing some things. I can even understand the reason sometimes, but there are also things that change, that change the core of a character. A prime example, being what Nolan did to Bane.

You're fretting about hypotheticals that you've based on vapor.

I could understand if I was just formulating my opinion based off nothing/out of the blue, but that is not the case.

...not nothing. Just a few random quotes about a film that has not yet been released.
DTV = Digital Television

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,907 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

Clark Kent is kind of a dark loner type. He had wax statues of all his friends in his Fortress Of Solitude... that's pretty weird & dark. He also hid his identity from his closest friends.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

It may be their film, but there is a difference on doing a film not based off a written work, and doing a film that is. I don't mind changing some things. I can even understand the reason sometimes, but there are also things that change, that change the core of a character.

So what? Happens with movies and books all the time, I'm certainly not going to worry about it with a comic book character.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#9 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,907 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

So what? Happens with movies and books all the time, I'm certainly not going to worry about it with a comic book character.

Exactly, people love saying the book is better than the book; to which I reply, "That's nice, I don't care. I just spent 2 hours getting the jest of the book you took 2 weeks reading."
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,858 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

Exactly, people love saying the book is better than the book; to which I reply, "That's nice, I don't care. I just spent 2 hours getting the jest of the book you took 2 weeks reading."

I completely get what HinterXGames is saying. For collectors, Canon is important. HinterXGames wants to discuss Canon. I don’t understand why so many people need to dismiss discussions.

This is another situation where some members spend an awful lot of time discussing things they don’t think are worth discussing...an awful lot of time discussing things they say they don’t care about.

How about if you don’t care about discuss you just move on instead of thread crapping all over someone else’s topic. If you don’t agree, say so and move on. DO NOT HIJACK SOMEONE ELSE’S THREAD!

:backtotop

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#11 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

And I'm not sure what William Conrad has to do with it.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#12 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

"They’re sticking to realism as much as possible. Fantastic elements are still there but a lot of it that been trimmed back to make it feel as though this actually happened."

--
--

Very few books and short stories are transformed into a Screen/Teleplay as they were originally written. And if you look at Hollywood "franchising and cloning" is order of the day. The current trend is "dark".

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#13 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,907 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

I just read there's no Kryptonite in this movie... That's just stupid.

#14 OFFLINE   Hunter844

Hunter844

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

We have seen previous movies like Spider-Man 1, 2, and 3 where they now appear too light, hokie, and dated. The old Superman movies from the 80s were always hokie IMO for those reasons. SUPERMAN RETURNS was IMO about as goofy as the movies from the 80s and overall poorly done because it brought nothing fresh to the table. It was a reboot that didnt deliver. There was no new take on Superman. You didn't get that comic book transference from those movies. These new hotness films that come off as darker content and imagery seem to better carry the comic book feel a little better to the film industry. There can be no doubt that many films have been "batmaned" and not just comic related either.

Just to rattle off a few...

Tron: Legacy

Star Trek (2009) and the newest film too

Inception

The Prestige
The Illusionist

I'm sure I can think of others but basically Abrams and Nolan are doing this...Wheldon does it too and you can throw in Toney Gilroy

Ridley Scott did it with Prometheus and I'm sure he inspired the aforementioned directors from many of his prior offerings.

Edited by Hunter844, 19 May 2013 - 08:18 AM.

Dish Network 211k with EHD, AT250 with HDforLIFE
Eastern ARC DMA on 1000.4
Panasonic TC-P55GT50
LG 42'' 1080p LCD, Denon IN-COMMAND AVR-2112CI

#15 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

Warner Brothers shouldn't own DC. This quote about the upcoming Man of Steel (Supes reboot) movie

Almost all movies,etc released now are garbage... Politically Correct pieces of trash...

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

Hmmmm. Just saw "Gatsby". Not great, not bad, and nothing PC or non-PC about it. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall