Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Opinions on "Cord Cutting"

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   anex80

anex80

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

I've read many threads lately with complaints about the rising cost of TV service. Many of these complaints are then followed with a rant about the high cost of sports programming and the age old "why should I have to pay for ESPN (and the like) when I don't even watch sports?" While I understand this argument to some extent, I would like to present a different viewpoint here: Sports programming is what's keeping pay TV viable in today's economy.

I could make the argument that, if not for exclusive sporting events and programming available through pay TV subscriptions, we would see a much larger number of people cutting their cord, so to speak. With so many more viable options for TV today (Hulu, Netflix, OTA, just to name a few), there is very little reason to shell out $80+ a month just for the ability to watch a show without having to wait a few days or, worst case, a year to see through other mediums. But, what's one thing you can't do on a Roku? Watch Monday Night Football or an out of market NFL game.

Advertisers have already shown us the future by their willingness to a invest more advertising $$$ into live sporting events than any other programming. The biggest reason? Those events are more likely to have real-time viewers as sports are not a good candidate for our DVR/on-demand world. I'm not suggesting that without sports we would have no TV subscriptions, but I do think that sports keep a lot of would-be cord cutters from jumping ship. That, in turn, keeps pay TV costs from skyrocketing even more as companies attempt to make up for the mass exodus from TV subscriptions.

So, the next time you feel like ranting about the fact that you have to pay for sports you don't even watch, consider these points and perhaps change your tone to a thank you instead. If not for sports you may not have a pay TV option to complain about. :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:03 PM

I helped a friend cut the cord last week. She had been paying for a triple play through Comcast that had risen to $160.00 a month. I proposed a CenturyLink package of DirecTV and 20MB internet for $75.00 a month for a year. She said no, she did not want to pay anything for TV. I brought over a $25.00 RCA flat antenna I got at Walmart and had good success getting all the major locals. Then we tried to see what was available over the cable without a cable box and was surprised to get about 60 channels. She was very happy with our results and then we called Centurylink and signed up for 20MB internet for $24.95 a month, bundling it with her Verizon cell phone.
Bottom line is she will save $135.00 a month. It will take a lifestyle change with no DVR, program guide or home phone but she is very happy and says she will have no trouble adapting.

To make things easier for her, I gave her access to my Slingbox, in case she has DVR withdraw. :D

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

The only problem is that there is no one "cord cutting" option that does everything. You have Hulu that has contracts with certain networks, Netflix with different contracts and Amazon with different ones still. If there was one that provided all then cutting the cord would be a lot easier.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,389 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

I wouldn't mind cord cutting myself but my family members would be so mad at me for doing that, as they're helping me out with my bill, But its not about the price is about what they enjoy, Plus my dad is into sports and nature shows and my mom is into soap operas:)

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#5 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

I applaud those that follow through....and I wish I could get to that point as I am disgusted with my average DirecTV bill.

With that said, I can't really cut as I watch too much from channels that I can't get immediately online or with an antenna

#6 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

I helped a friend cut the cord last week. She had been paying for a triple play through Comcast that had risen to $160.00 a month. I proposed a CenturyLink package of DirecTV and 20MB internet for $75.00 a month for a year. She said no, she did not want to pay anything for TV. I brought over a $25.00 RCA flat antenna I got at Walmart and had good success getting all the major locals. Then we tried to see what was available over the cable without a cable box and was surprised to get about 60 channels. She was very happy with our results and then we called Centurylink and signed up for 20MB internet for $24.95 a month, bundling it with her Verizon cell phone.
Bottom line is she will save $135.00 a month. It will take a lifestyle change with no DVR, program guide or home phone but she is very happy and says she will have no trouble adapting.

To make things easier for her, I gave her access to my Slingbox, in case she has DVR withdraw. :D

Add a Roku 3 to that (with the new unified search capability) and what an amazing setup with TONS of content for $24.95/month - including internet!

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#7 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

I've read many threads lately with complaints about the rising cost of TV service. Many of these complaints are then followed with a rant about the high cost of sports programming and the age old "why should I have to pay for ESPN (and the like) when I don't even watch sports?" While I understand this argument to some extent, I would like to present a different viewpoint here: Sports programming is what's keeping pay TV viable in today's economy.

I could make the argument that, if not for exclusive sporting events and programming available through pay TV subscriptions, we would see a much larger number of people cutting their cord, so to speak. With so many more viable options for TV today (Hulu, Netflix, OTA, just to name a few), there is very little reason to shell out $80+ a month just for the ability to watch a show without having to wait a few days or, worst case, a year to see through other mediums. But, what's one thing you can't do on a Roku? Watch Monday Night Football or an out of market NFL game.

Advertisers have already shown us the future by their willingness to a invest more advertising $$$ into live sporting events than any other programming. The biggest reason? Those events are more likely to have real-time viewers as sports are not a good candidate for our DVR/on-demand world. I'm not suggesting that without sports we would have no TV subscriptions, but I do think that sports keep a lot of would-be cord cutters from jumping ship. That, in turn, keeps pay TV costs from skyrocketing even more as companies attempt to make up for the mass exodus from TV subscriptions.

So, the next time you feel like ranting about the fact that you have to pay for sports you don't even watch, consider these points and perhaps change your tone to a thank you instead. If not for sports you may not have a pay TV option to complain about. :)

Fair points. Live sports is the ONLY reason I pay for TV (D*) at this point. There are ways to cut back (HDMI splitters, Roku, Slingboxes, etc) to just a single receiver/DVR, but that's about all I have been able to do at this point.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#8 ONLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:54 PM

The only problem is that there is no one "cord cutting" option that does everything. You have Hulu that has contracts with certain networks, Netflix with different contracts and Amazon with different ones still. If there was one that provided all then cutting the cord would be a lot easier.

That's called "al a carte" :lol:

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

There is one, is called DirecTV…lol
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

I'm really thinking about cutting the cord. My wife mainly watches Netflix and Youtube. We also have Amazon Prime. I like sports and I can get MLBTV cheaper than EI and it's a better picture to boot. Also can just about get all the college sports I want through ESPN3. If they would make available their regular ESPN channels online without having a TV provider it would be nearly perfect. I don't watch local channels that much. I guess if I really wanted to I could put up an antenna and get those. I think the time is coming that satellite and cable TV may become obsolete. Really, when I look at my bill, I am wondering why I am paying that much,$143.00.?.

#11 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,831 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

I like sports and I can get MLBTV cheaper than EI and it's a better picture to boot.

I've had/have both and seen MLB.tv on many devices...the PQ isn't better than EI. It's not bad, but it's not better.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#12 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

This is a great post. It boils down to this - how important is programming to you. If you're like me, and you think most programming these days ranges from marginal to pure garbage, cord cutting is increasingly becoming a very viable option. However, if you love current programming and/or can't do without something, then you're at the mercy of whatever your provider wants to charge.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#13 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 760 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

I'm getting pretty close to pulling the trigger, the HR44 is intriguing but I know it adds 2 years commitment plus who knows what it will cost as an exising. Kids are getting into sports and other activities which equals less time at home. My DVRs are overfilled with content we no longer have time or desire to watch.

My next step is to add a tuner card to my HTPC so I can use that as an OTA DVR. That & Amazon Prime would be livable with the growing number of networks that stream their own stuff
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#14 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:18 AM

Obviously programming is the only reason to have tv service at all. If you dont care about any scripted programming, then you'd only need your tv for watching movies or live sporting events.

#15 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

Or for sitting mindlessly when you are too tired to care or do anything else :lol:

Obviously programming is the only reason to have tv service at all. If you dont care about any scripted programming, then you'd only need your tv for watching movies or live sporting events.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#16 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

Sports is the only thing keeping me. When my bill gets over 100$ a month it will be hard to stay, back to OTA.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#17 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

I could live with OTA except for the college football season, but I'd also have to buy a DVR since there are a few programs that we like that run from 10 to 11 pm. We're generally in bed by 10. I also don't want to give up the opportunity to fast forward through commercials or pledge breaks on PBS.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#18 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

I've had/have both and seen MLB.tv on many devices...the PQ isn't better than EI. It's not bad, but it's not better.

Picture quality for me is much, much better. I compared a game the other night. Mets/Phils were on ESPN and I compared it against the MLBTV version. Not even close. Much sharper picture. I'm not even that picky on pq but this just blew the doors off what DTV had. To this point I am very happy to have MLBTV and the $75 savings I get from not having EI.

#19 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

Picture quality for me is much, much better. I compared a game the other night. Mets/Phils were on ESPN and I compared it against the MLBTV version. Not even close. Much sharper picture. I'm not even that picky on pq but this just blew the doors off what DTV had. To this point I am very happy to have MLBTV and the $75 savings I get from not having EI.

Maybe an ESPN issue? They still do 720p right? I've noticed on occasion that the picture quality on ESPN is not all that great...

#20 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

This thread is basically about making those of us that do not watch sports feel better about paying extra so the sports fans can pay less. Sorry, I still feel ESPN and the like should be a separate tier paid for by the people that watch them. I realize that will never happen until the people have choices other than bundles that price the sports in with the basic cable. Right now I have a choice of sat television or one channel over the air so it looks like I'm stuck for the time being.

spam firewall