Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Opinions on "Cord Cutting"

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

And the point has been made that sports, or more accurately, their highly paid advertising spots, are part of what makes TV affordable at all. Ala-carte and its kin "stripping sports out" will serve nothing but to make things more expensive.

Mind you, I'm speaking from the mind of someone that has been on the verge of cord cutting for a couple years now.

This thread is basically about making those of us that do not watch sports feel better about paying extra so the sports fans can pay less. Sorry, I still feel ESPN and the like should be a separate tier paid for by the people that watch them. I realize that will never happen until the people have choices other than bundles that price the sports in with the basic cable. Right now I have a choice of sat television or one channel over the air so it looks like I'm stuck for the time being.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

I'm sure HBO would love to be a part of the basic package too. Just think how much cheaper HBO would be if everyone had to pay for it whether they want it or not. I understand most people on this site are hard core sports fans but in the real world most people would drop sports IF they had a chance. This is all academic at this point since it is not going to happen but don't try to make me like it.

#23 OFFLINE   Rob77

Rob77

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

I have "cut the cord" and to be very honest...do not miss it at all. I followed some of the neighbors who did it last year, and decided to try it. I was already watching a good deal of Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc so the transition was very easy.

Yes I will miss a FEW sporting events but that's the tradeoff.....

My Samsung Smart TV also helped, as you can easily shift sources very easily for a variety of viewing options.

#24 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

Not sure if you're referring to me or what, but I'm not trying to make anyone "like" anything. I'm close to leaving DirecTV myself. I just recognize the economic reality for what it is.

TV doesn't exist to entertain us, TV exists to sell us crap. The more advertisers there are, the less we have to pay to be "entertained"

This is all academic at this point since it is not going to happen but don't try to make me like it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#25 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

Hopefully something will come along soon to change the way we view sports. I can't live without college football. Look at how torrents and peer2peer have changed the movie industry and music. Surely somebody is going to come up with something. I have internet through time warner and they block ESPN3 since I don't have cable. WTF? I really don't see how they are allowed to get away with it. They don't block hulu or any of the others. What's the difference?

#26 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

Picture quality for me is much, much better. I compared a game the other night. Mets/Phils were on ESPN and I compared it against the MLBTV version. Not even close. Much sharper picture.

So MLBTV has all ESPN and nationally telecast games? That makes me hate the NHL even more.

As for the topic, I am very close to cutting the cord myself and am going to suspend my D* account when the hockey playoffs end and see how long I can make it without D*. Finally tried out Amazon Prime on my PS3 a few days ago and was impressed with the PQ.

#27 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

TV is getting so insanely expensive that I applaud those who cut the cord. I am a year or so away from cutting myself. Family members have ESPN Watch so I can get ESPN off my Xbox

#28 OFFLINE   ub1934

ub1934

Icon

• Registered
  • 518 posts
  • LocationUpState NY

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

I helped a friend cut the cord last week. She had been paying for a triple play through Comcast that had risen to $160.00 a month. I proposed a CenturyLink package of DirecTV and 20MB internet for $75.00 a month for a year. She said no, she did not want to pay anything for TV. I brought over a $25.00 RCA flat antenna I got at Walmart and had good success getting all the major locals. Then we tried to see what was available over the cable without a cable box and was surprised to get about 60 channels. She was very happy with our results and then we called Centurylink and signed up for 20MB internet for $24.95 a month, bundling it with her Verizon cell phone.
Bottom line is she will save $135.00 a month. It will take a lifestyle change with no DVR, program guide or home phone but she is very happy and says she will have no trouble adapting.

To make things easier for her, I gave her access to my Slingbox, in case she has DVR withdraw. :D

I would just pull out ny old RePlay DVR that i used for OTA & C Band :)

#29 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

I'm sure HBO would love to be a part of the basic package too. Just think how much cheaper HBO would be if everyone had to pay for it whether they want it or not. I understand most people on this site are hard core sports fans but in the real world most people would drop sports IF they had a chance. This is all academic at this point since it is not going to happen but don't try to make me like it.

If that were true then the providers would not make all these massive deals. If the majority didn't want it then it would not be cost effective to have and they would do away with it. I have ti disagree with you statement.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#30 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

If that were true then the providers would not make all these massive deals. If the majority didn't want it then it would not be cost effective to have and they would do away with it. I have ti disagree with you statement.

The providers can make these massive deals because they are guaranteed a paying audience. You are correct, if we had a choice then it would not be cost effective but we have no choice, all or none.

#31 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

I haven't had much luck convincing myself or my girl friend to cut cord but i would love to,my problem is i really don't know if it would the right dissension or not but every time i think of it i get really depressed.

#32 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

Hopefully something will come along soon to change the way we view sports. I can't live without college football. Look at how torrents and peer2peer have changed the movie industry and music. Surely somebody is going to come up with something. I have internet through time warner and they block ESPN3 since I don't have cable. WTF? I really don't see how they are allowed to get away with it. They don't block hulu or any of the others. What's the difference?

The difference is simply they haven't gotten around to blocking Hulu yet. When too many people cut the cord, cable companies will become more aggressive in blocking those sites.

Also, content owners will start charging Hulu and other sites the same rates they used to charge the cable companies. The price of those sites will rise dramatically, and we'll all be right back where we started.

#33 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

I also really don't understand why we have to pay for HD. I could understand it several years back when things were still in standard def but even the government gave you a device to be able to get the broadcast from hd to standard tv. If HD is now the norm why do we have to continue to pay for HD?

If they would just try and be a little bit more reasonable on pricing we wouldn't be having any of these conversations. Nobody should have to pay over $100 a month for television. $100 a month should give you the highest package with DVR and a couple receivers.
  • hallrk likes this

#34 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

The main problem always comes down to greed. People are just getting too greedy anymore. Especially investors. It's not good enough for a company to just make a profit anymore, now days they have to increase profits constantly or the investors get nervous/upset and the stock prices plummet, which in turn makes the company cut more corners to cut costs further and everyone ends up with crappier goods and services, as well as more jobs being outsourced to cut costs.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#35 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

The difference is simply they haven't gotten around to blocking Hulu yet. When too many people cut the cord, cable companies will become more aggressive in blocking those sites.

Also, content owners will start charging Hulu and other sites the same rates they used to charge the cable companies. The price of those sites will rise dramatically, and we'll all be right back where we started.

Not to mention there are data caps on alot of internet plans these days that already hinder people going to the net for all of their content.
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#36 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

I also really don't understand why we have to pay for HD. I could understand it several years back when things were still in standard def but even the government gave you a device to be able to get the broadcast from hd to standard tv. If HD is now the norm why do we have to continue to pay for HD?

If they would just try and be a little bit more reasonable on pricing we wouldn't be having any of these conversations. Nobody should have to pay over $100 a month for television. $100 a month should give you the highest package with DVR and a couple receivers.

Not sure where you get that HD is the norm. Digital is the norm. Not all digital is considered HD.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#37 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

Not sure where you get that HD is the norm. Digital is the norm. Not all digital is considered HD.

Sorry. I guess I am used to all the local networks broadcasting HD over the air for free. Aren't most shows filmed in HD now? I am not being smart, just asking.

#38 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

Sorry. I guess I am used to all the local networks broadcasting HD over the air for free. Aren't most shows filmed in HD now? I am not being smart, just asking.

Me either. I dont know that most shows are broadcast in HD either.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#39 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

I think they are going to have to remove the HD charge in a few years. I think that's why they offer the free hd discount for autopay. In my area of Kentucky the major networks seem to air everything in hd for the most part. Even PBS.

#40 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 771 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

The networks (local affiliate) are now banking on the re-transmission fees they are getting from cable and Sat. Even though they are sending them out Free OTA the revenue they are making from corded folks is crazy.

The Aereo story is going to be an interesting one to follow as Fox tries to keep that revenue in hand.
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

Protected By... spam firewall...And...