Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Opinions on "Cord Cutting"

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   anex80

anex80

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 207 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

So I'm going to take the plunge. I will really miss the ESPN family and Sunday Ticket, but I just did the math and realized I can save almost $1000 a year by switching to a Netflix only plan with a TiVo OTA receiver. I'm a huge sports nut but I just don't think it's worth the $83/month I'd have to pay to keep the channels and packages I want.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,355 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

So I'm going to take the plunge. I will really miss the ESPN family and Sunday Ticket, but I just did the math and realized I can save almost $1000 a year by switching to a Netflix only plan with a TiVo OTA receiver. I'm a huge sports nut but I just don't think it's worth the $83/month I'd have to pay to keep the channels and packages I want.

Seems like most are not happy with just Netflix as a replacement. They end up needing Hulu, some stuff off Amazon or iTunes, better internet more frequent Red Box visits, etc. Not to mention alot of internet providers now days have caps on their plans. Streaming much in HD can eat through that cap pretty quick. Good luck to you, I hope it works out just the way you want it too.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#43 OFFLINE   anex80

anex80

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 207 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

Thanks JoshJr. I'm a little nervous since I've never been without some form of pay TV subscription before. I figure with Netflix and TiVo to record my OTA channels I will be fine. I doubt I'll miss it at all until football season, that will be the real test. We'll see how it goes.

#44 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

Seems like most are not happy with just Netflix as a replacement. They end up needing Hulu, some stuff off Amazon or iTunes, better internet more frequent Red Box visits, etc. Not to mention alot of internet providers now days have caps on their plans. Streaming much in HD can eat through that cap pretty quick. Good luck to you, I hope it works out just the way you want it too.

I agree, it sounds like a good idea but once one crosses that bridge it typically isn't. It could work if your internet doesn't have a data cap and you are okay with having to wait some days for a new episode to be made available once it airs. I personally could probably do it as i do not watch much television cause content these days are lacking lol.

#45 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:07 AM

So MLBTV has all ESPN and nationally telecast games? That makes me hate the NHL even more.

As for the topic, I am very close to cutting the cord myself and am going to suspend my D* account when the hockey playoffs end and see how long I can make it without D*. Finally tried out Amazon Prime on my PS3 a few days ago and was impressed with the PQ.

For this year they don't show the FOX and ESPN Sunday night game live. It is available after the game is over in their archives. Which is another good reason to have MLBTV. You can go back and watch any game that you may have missed or just want to watch again. Also I think the blackout for FOX games ends next season and maybe the ESPN Sunday game too?

#46 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,625 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

The only problem is that there is no one "cord cutting" option that does everything. You have Hulu that has contracts with certain networks, Netflix with different contracts and Amazon with different ones still. If there was one that provided all then cutting the cord would be a lot easier.

I tried about a year ago. It was a time that, for whatever reason, I was watching NetFlix most of the time. The idea went down the tubes when I gathered everyone around and told them what we could do with BD players, Rokus, Apple TV, etc.

First words out of my wife's mouth were, "How are you gonna watch the Yankees?" Yet another of my grand schemes went quickly down the toilet. She had a lot more to say about my scheme, but I quickly gave up.

Rich

#47 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,625 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

Obviously programming is the only reason to have tv service at all. If you dont care about any scripted programming, then you'd only need your tv for watching movies or live sporting events.

If it wasn't for the scripted shows on the movie channels, I'd drop the Premier package. Those shows are so good it's almost worth the cost of the package. I rarely record movies from that package and if I do, they usually sit there in my UPL unwatched.

I think the 10-13 episode scripted shows on HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz are exceptional. I kinda wish the networks would follow this model instead of the 23 or so episodes a year. Go for quality instead of quantity. And we'd get more shows out of it.

Rich

#48 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,625 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Maybe an ESPN issue? They still do 720p right? I've noticed on occasion that the picture quality on ESPN is not all that great...

Yup, 720p on ESPN. I do think the PQ is a bit better than Fox channels, but it's really annoying and very noticeable. A few weeks ago, I started watching The Vikings on the History channel. First scripted series on History and it's really good. Well cast, well written and it's in 720p. Watched the first episode and about 10 minutes in I was reaching for my TV remote and sure enough, 720p. What a waste of a very good show. Same thing with Justified. Very good series, but 720p.

Rich

#49 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

I haven't had much luck convincing myself or my girl friend to cut cord but i would love to,my problem is i really don't know if it would the right dissension or not but every time i think of it i get really depressed.

Oh whoa is you!! Stop & think about ALL the elderly who live on fixed incomes(which obama is about to whittle down again)who have to decide if their going to pay their heating bill this month, or eat. NOW THAT'S DEPRESSING!! TV is just a luxury MOST of us can do without.......

#50 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,625 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

NF, by itself, is definitely not the answer.

Rich

#51 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

You can always just be a season behind and wait until they release the season on dvd or netflix.

#52 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,625 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

Oh whoa is you!! Stop & think about ALL the elderly who live on fixed incomes(which obama is about to whittle down again)who have to decide if their going to pay their heating bill this month, or eat. NOW THAT'S DEPRESSING!! TV is just a luxury MOST of us can do without.......

It is a luxury, no doubt about it. I've often wondered how folks with fixed incomes deal with it.

Rich

#53 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,625 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

You can always just be a season behind and wait until they release the season on dvd or netflix.

I tried that argument and it failed miserably.

Rich

#54 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

Really, you want to get into politics about this? If you want to blame Obama, feel free to glance in the mirror

#55 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

I've read many threads lately with complaints about the rising cost of TV service. Many of these complaints are then followed with a rant about the high cost of sports programming and the age old "why should I have to pay for ESPN (and the like) when I don't even watch sports?" While I understand this argument to some extent, I would like to present a different viewpoint here: Sports programming is what's keeping pay TV viable in today's economy.

I could make the argument that, if not for exclusive sporting events and programming available through pay TV subscriptions, we would see a much larger number of people cutting their cord, so to speak. With so many more viable options for TV today (Hulu, Netflix, OTA, just to name a few), there is very little reason to shell out $80+ a month just for the ability to watch a show without having to wait a few days or, worst case, a year to see through other mediums. But, what's one thing you can't do on a Roku? Watch Monday Night Football or an out of market NFL game.

Advertisers have already shown us the future by their willingness to a invest more advertising $$$ into live sporting events than any other programming. The biggest reason? Those events are more likely to have real-time viewers as sports are not a good candidate for our DVR/on-demand world. I'm not suggesting that without sports we would have no TV subscriptions, but I do think that sports keep a lot of would-be cord cutters from jumping ship. That, in turn, keeps pay TV costs from skyrocketing even more as companies attempt to make up for the mass exodus from TV subscriptions.

So, the next time you feel like ranting about the fact that you have to pay for sports you don't even watch, consider these points and perhaps change your tone to a thank you instead. If not for sports you may not have a pay TV option to complain about. :)

Trust me, It isn't sports keeping paying for TV service it is all the non OTA channels that I watch.

I disagree that a DVR is no good for sports too.
Is it really that important to watch it live with all the advertisements and time wasting in the home.
Just DVR the Game and start watching it near the end of the game, They all run over anyway. That way you can skip the advertisements and so forth. I could watch a football game that way ib approx 50 minutes and that much more free time for other things that are important like family.

I expect I'll get flack about my heresy as regards not watching a sporting event live.

TB
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#56 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

Sports is why I would like the genie. I use the double play feature every saturday during college football. If I could switch between 5 college games at the same time I wouldn't know what to do. It would be like pure heaven.

#57 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

Sports is why I would like the genie. I use the double play feature every saturday during college football. If I could switch between 5 college games at the same time I wouldn't know what to do. It would be like pure heaven.

I dont believe it will buffer all 5 tuners at the same time. There is no "quintuple play" feature yet. :)

You still only have double play, even with the 5 tuners.

#58 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

Trust me, It isn't sports keeping paying for TV service it is all the non OTA channels that I watch.

I disagree that a DVR is no good for sports too.
Is it really that important to watch it live with all the advertisements and time wasting in the home.
Just DVR the Game and start watching it near the end of the game, They all run over anyway. That way you can skip the advertisements and so forth. I could watch a football game that way ib approx 50 minutes and that much more free time for other things that are important like family.

I expect I'll get flack about my heresy as regards not watching a sporting event live.

TB

I would rather watch most sports events off the DVR. I find the NFL nearly unwatchable with all the commercials they have now. Nearly the same for the NCAA tournament games too. Most times I will pause games,go do something for a few minutes,come back and pick up the game. Scroll right through the commercials. You can watch a game in about half the time.

#59 OFFLINE   anex80

anex80

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 207 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:38 AM

I understand everyone's points about DVR on sports. I do that too, but still only during the game like many have stated here. I can't go several days without watching the event and then watch a recorded version, however.

#60 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,862 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

I understand everyone's points about DVR on sports. I do that too, but still only during the game like many have stated here. I can't go several days without watching the event and then watch a recorded version, however.

I'm just the opposite. I never watch sports live. If I have a vested interest, I wait to see if the outcome pleases me. If it does, I'll watch the event several times. If not it gets deleted without watching. If I have no investment in who wins, but the game appears to be entertaining, I'll watch it later. I haven't watched a live sporting event in years...same with ordinary programming.

TV is too expensive, to be sure, and it's getting worse. I'm looking for local alternatives but a DVR must be part of the solution. We have fiber coming out here to the country soon and the local telephone company is going to offer TV and internet services. We are going to look very hard at this option, as it would be nice to keep the money locally (or more locally). Been with D* for a very, very long time, but enough is becoming enough.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

Protected By... spam firewall...And...